Pearl-Guide Ruckus 2015

I need tips on how to pack strands so the pearls are protected. Last Ruckus, I only had a couple of strands so I just packed them in their original boxes, but I need smaller, lighter weight packaging this time. I'm afraid the pearls will rub against each other and get damaged if I just use fabric pouches.

Low tech solution...you could always pack them inside socks... As long as each strand is isolated, you shouldn't have to worry about clasps scratching pearls. Or even less elegant, individual ziplock baggies...

image.jpgDidn't BAS do something with straws last year, or was that for her chains? If you like pixie stix sugar candy they come in short 250mm (10") plastic straws of 11.5mm tubes, in the States. You could trim the length and use two straws per necklace.

Maybe you can find someone to make up some sheer organza tubes/bags? It's a fairly straightforward sewing job. I'd prefer the organza bags myself, custom length with two open ends so you can clasp the strands.

Does anyone remember the name of the thread where we discussed pearl storage? There might be a link to travel jewelry rolls.

Last edited:
lisa c ... yes, BAS suggested straws for storing chains. She also wrapped some of her strands in tissue, and then stored in bags, or leftover containers, if I'm remembering right. I used those ideas for last year's ruckus, and took the straw idea a step further. I used 2 thick straws (think bubble tea or smoothie straws) and ran pearl strands through, fitting the ends together. It was a lot of work, and large pearls don't fit. I think I'll go back to tissue paper around each strand, and then a bag or container ... but always looking for better suggestions :)

Yeah, LOL and big hugs, we're a crazy creative group!

Last edited:
Yes, I remember the straws from last year. That would work for my akoyas, but not the larger Tahitians. I do have some fabric pouches and could put in 1 strand per pouch, but do not want the pearls on each strand to rub against each other. Maybe I'll wrap each strand in tissue paper or fabric and then bag individually. I have an idea of how to design a fabric roll for travel, but do not have time to get the supplies and sew it before next Thursday. The ones I've seen available for sale so far are not ideal for pearl strands

One can always roll up the strand in a paper towel before folding it into the pouch. :)

I might just have some Eyris Blue pearls available, including a small gem grade pendant handmade in peach gold. :)

Yes! If you go to shows, you can pick up a necklace portfolio and use it for travel. Cyndayco, great idea and link. :)

I might just have some Eyris Blue pearls available, including a small gem grade pendant handmade in peach gold. :)

OH GEEZ, Gigi, you're breaking my heart! Bad enough to not go to Ruckus, now to miss one of a kind goodies...well (sigh) please post many photos. I've never seen peach gold.

I've tried a number of jewelry rolls, and this type works best for me.

Thank you so much for that link, Cyndayco! I just ordered one. Other similar cases I had seen just had the loops at the top, but nothing at the bottom to keep the necklaces laying flat. I can't wait to try it. I also ordered another case with 24 small compartments to carry earrings, rings and pendants.

Okay. Here is a preview. It's raining here, but I got a couple of shots of the gem grade pendant. The other pendant I have to retrieve from the bank box, but there was a photo in my album.

Blaire Gem Eyris Blue Pearl.jpg
Blaire Eyris Blue Pearl Side.jpg

Blaire Eyris Blue Pearl Pendant 2.jpg

GemGeek, those are both stunning; the first one leaves me breathless!!!

First of all -- I can not take credit for the straw idea. I don't know who came up with that.

Secondly -- GemGeek. WOW!!! Can hardly wait to see these in person!!!

Lastly -- I wrap each piece in Kleenex in a snack baggie, and then just put them in a clean plastic take-out container. The container is light as air and protects the pearls while traveling. And I store the earrings in pill boxes!

Pearl necklace storage.jpg

Pearl necklace storage 2.jpg

Pearl Earring storage.jpg

Back