ICPGC - Pearl Guide Ruckus!

Well I am up for annual trips to wherever it happens to be - an annual gathering sounds just fine to me. Jeremy's generosity (and scotch collection) may not be up for a yearly battering!

Every time I see Steve's avatar now I just think how much more beautiful that piece is in person. Indeed, Steve's whole collection is pretty amazing...
And the vault.... well, I am still in awe of the SS collection... and by the way, for those of you who liked the GSS I was wearing on the Saturday night (yes, the ones that went home for the evening in Caitlin's pocket??) - I managed to sell them today. Oh well, I guess it helps me on my quest for beautiful round GSS...

Last edited:
Great memory! Knotty.

Thank you all for the compliments. (It was my Eli. a.k.a. George).

The advantage for me with Hawai'i is that I will already be there June 27-July 3, so if the ruckus were to occur around that time it would only be one set of plane tickets and one vacation request and I could pretty much guarantee being able to attend. However, having sampled the joys of the vault for myself, I certainly can't begrudge anyone wanting to return to LA!

Here are a few more (fuzzy) photos to entice folks to make the trip:

Attachments

• pearls by candlelight.jpg
    pearls by candlelight.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
  • smetzler and marianne.jpg
    smetzler and marianne.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 43
  • blaire and shells.jpg
    blaire and shells.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 39
  • ashley conch.jpg
    ashley conch.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 38
  • glorious shieri.jpg
    glorious shieri.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 40
And one final word on the matter: a trip to ickpagick is an opportunity to meet with the pearl world's most famous celebrities, one of whom moved me so completely that I was compelled to set the moment to verse.

From far across the globe came pearl elite
And all converged upon a famous town
To ruckus, to commingle and to meet
A sweet beloved bivalve of renown

She is the lovely mollusc all admire
Whose fame precedes her anywhere she?ll go
Her presence does invoke a heavenly choir
that dazzles lesser mortals down below

She wears a shell as pink as orchids rare
And pearl! O pearl! as lustrous as the moon
A famous orb that is without compare
And makes the nacre coveting horde to swoon

So here I sit and cherish memories dear
Of fair Octavia, mollusc without peer.

Oh Boo, how sweet!!! I'd answer for Octavia, but Nerida will have to type for the globe-trotting mollusk-down-under! ;)

The advantage for me with Hawai'i is that I will already be there June 27-July 3, so if the ruckus were to occur around that time it would only be one set of plane tickets and one vacation request and I could pretty much guarantee being able to attend. However, having sampled the joys of the vault for myself, I certainly can't begrudge anyone wanting to return to LA!

Here are a few more (fuzzy) photos to entice folks to make the trip:

Dear boo, we will be in Hawaii around the same time too. The Kauai timeshare was all set early May of this year for June 25 through July 2. We will add a few days either before or after on Oahu. If the ruckus will be in LA, I hope Jeremy won't pick those dates.

You are a talented poet. :)

Dear boo, we will be in Hawaii around the same time too. The Kauai timeshare was all set early May of this year for June 25 through July 2. We will add a few days either before or after on Oahu.

Well, at the very least I can see the potential for something of a mini-ruckus on Oʻahu :D "Momi, Maitai, and Merriment: ickpagicklet 2010"

Hi Mervione,

What about going to a place that's not part of the U.S?

Transporting expensive and rare pearls (such as we were able to view on Saturday night and Sunday) out of the country would be challenging, if not out of the question.

For me, the educational part was just as much (or more) fun and exciting as the partying!! We saw strands, yes strands of conch pearls, various kinds of naturals and much more. I doubt we could have that opportunity elsewhere.

I must also agree with Caitlin's remarks-------

I think Jeremy has an advantage being at PP for a ruckus. He can't take his vault to Hawaii and his staff is in Sta Monica, too. All the money spent to take his staff to Hawaii could go into a few bottles of 21yo scotch. If many more people come, he can have a nice tent in the Alley for the lounge. The PP experience just wouldn't be there in Hawaii. Hawaii needs to be enjoyed fully, not distracted by a conference. IMO.

Sarah of Kojima Pearl brought a suitcase full of pearls for us to pour over! And Steve's amazing Poe Pipi and abalone pieces--I can't begin to mention them all!

Last edited:
I would most likely only attend one in LA. For me the main thing would be to see PP's mothership and experience it firsthand. Otherwise it would just be an international party for pearl lovers, not a convention. You don't see Trekkies (yes, i'm one of them) going to a convention that doesn't have at least one of the main characters/starship set ups.

Thanks for all of the pics and info from the Pearl Ruckus. It was fun to see so many happy pearl lovers having a wonderful time together. All of you that went have been great, sharing photos and moments. Hopefully, there will be a next time. Boo, clever as always.

Either one works for me. If it wasn't the Big Island, it would be almost the same financially to go to LA as to go to one of the other islands. Definitely no one but me has a chance of driving to the convention in Hawaii, but then again it is Hawaii. I guess some of it is up to Jeremy, and of course the number of attendees. I echo the dates though - sometime around the 3rd weekend in June. Southern CA is so bloody hot in July. Also public schools in CA go until late in June and rental car, hotels, and other fares might be cheaper. Summer is actually a down time in Hawaii, especially June. They were begging for occupants right before we left June 17th.

Like Tucson in the first week of February, there are several big gem shows in the first week of June in Las Vegas. I think the third week of June would be perfect.

And PearlGully is right, we could have a mini-ruckus pearl dinner Saturday night in Tucson. Or, gasp, we could meet up in a cocktail lounge! (Hussie time!) ;)

3rd week in June sounds good to me. That's just before the school holidays, so hopefully I can beat the rush. VAustralia is starting a new direct LA flight from most Australian cities, and their sale prices are pretty good. Just hope the wheel doesn't fall off.

I am sure one of "the main characters" has to check his kid's schedule, business schedule, and whether there will be an annual ruckus. :) I hope next year's date will work for most of us. I'd be so bummed if it conflicts with my plan.

Back