My "Pearling" Story...

Still a work in progress, I'm waiting for my 14KYG bead covers, but here is the Sapphire Hombre strands I mounted to the pearl clasp. I had to re-adjust EVERY strand several times to get them approximately the same length. It was worth the effort though. This necklace will be so nice with solid color tops and with a longer strand of pearls.
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3172.JPG
IMG_3172.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes you just get lucky...I did when I found this multi-color Tahitian 11.1-13.4mm Strand of pearls with a 18KWG Diamond circle clasp on EBay at a pawn shop. My bid was finally high enough but only a fraction of what these beauties are worth. Near round, markings on the pearls, definitely, but they add to the character of the necklace. Let's just say I got the pearls for free, and the clasp at a discount! I had to restring them as the original silk was very stretched, but that too was a wonderful experience; making a new relationship with all these lovely creations. Hope you enjoy seeing it. I'll take a photo and post that when I wear them...soon.
View attachment 467797View attachment 467798
Wow, fabulous clasp! Great find.

That is so lovely. Are they 4mm rondelles? That is such a lot of work getting those threaded up to match each other when invariably the beads are cut every so slightly in different widths. Well done!

That is so lovely. Are they 4mm rondelles? That is such a lot of work getting those threaded up to match each other when invariably the beads are cut every so slightly in different widths. Well done!
The beads are 3.5mm and less. They came threaded in the shown hombre order, but there were 2 strands that were much shorter and 1 strand really long, so I had to unstring and shift some beads around to get all 5 strands closer to the same length. As you stated, YES they are all different widths so switching beads onto other strands posed some measurement challenges. Some of the beads were literally paper thin! I had to be really careful that I didn't allow the silicone covered beading wire to "flick" the bead out of my hand! Finding them on the carpet was next to impossible. Only those who work with beads and pearls can appreciate the work in a necklace like this. Thanks so much for looking.

I don't log in regularly to comment but I always enjoy reading the new posts in your pearling story, MOPTrumpet, and admiring your creations.
What painstaking work with the sapphires, well worth it though.

I don't log in regularly to comment but I always enjoy reading the new posts in your pearling story, MOPTrumpet, and admiring your creations.
What painstaking work with the sapphires, well worth it though.
Thank you so much for this encouragement. I appreciate your interest. Working on pearl or or other kinds of jewelry projects is ever so much more fun when you have people to share it with.

I've also been working on a whimsical necklace for a friend who LOVES dragonflies. I found these sterling silver connector beads and had them rhodium dipped so they wouldn't tarnish. I definitely don't like trying to clean silver when it is next to Akoya pearls. I found the pearls on an estate sale, nice medium grade quality with a good luster-7-7.5mm. The cute mother of pearl bow clasp is also rhodium sterling silver, and is from another strand that was repurposed. This necklace is 30" the dragon flies are pointing downwards 3 and 3. There are sterling sliver beads covering the crimp beads and the crystals are Swarovski bicone 3mm.
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG

I've also been working on a whimsical necklace for a friend who LOVES dragonflies. I found these sterling silver connector beads and had them rhodium dipped so they wouldn't tarnish. I definitely don't like trying to clean silver when it is next to Akoya pearls. I found the pearls on an estate sale, nice medium grade quality with a good luster-7-7.5mm. The cute mother of pearl bow clasp is also rhodium sterling silver, and is from another strand that was repurposed. This necklace is 30" the dragon flies are pointing downwards 3 and 3. There are sterling sliver beads covering the crimp beads and the crystals are Swarovski bicone 3mm.
View attachment 467888View attachment 467887
Oh, your friend is sure to love this MOP! The dragonflies are wonderful and the connector beads are a perfect finishing touch. I do also love the little bow clasp.

Yikes, has it really been since Valentines day since I added to this thread? Being a music minister at a church, my job definitely has a busy season and I'm just starting to come out of it as we head into summer. My church is hosting a fund raiser next week and I've decided to donate some simple pearl necklaces, and some not so simple necklaces, for the cause. I made 6 FW high-luster smooth rice-size pearl necklaces and put them in decorated boxes (for Mother's Day). I also offering a Swarovski crystal/Akoya multi-size pearl necklace and a Keshi multi-shape pearl necklace for those with a little more money to spend. One thing I've learned in my pearling journey: most people are completely unaware that there are so many different varieties/sizes/colors of pearls. Once they learn about these other varieties, they are interested, if not hooked! The true blessing of getting into "Pearling" has been sharing my love and new-found knowledge with others and building relationships with that shared experience. It is such a blessing to collaborate, post and learn with all of you.
My latest project: I found these amazing 14K heavy gold pearl earrings at an Estate sale. They had some 7mm akoya pearls that were pretty good in quality but seemed a bit small for these findings. I soaked off the Akoya pearls and found some 9.5mm South Sea pearls, also used, and soaked those off of their stud findings. Then I connected the South Sea 9.5mm's to these earrings. A MUCH improved combination. I like having both white gold and yellow gold earrings to wear with strands and I especially love seeing a finding matched up with the perfect pearl! I guess you could call me a "matchmaker."
"If I were a rich man...deedle-deedle-deedle..." All day long I'd pearly, pearly string, if I were a wealthy man (or woman, as is the case).
IMG_3488 2.JPG

Music Minister. Has a nice ring to it!
Loved what you did to the earrings: the SSP's do look better on the setting (size wise) than the smaller Akoya. For sure!

Back