I actually finished it! Go figure.

ksinger3

Well, what with one thing and another, it took me rather longer to finish the "proto" necklace I showed you guys a while back. But now it's done, and here it is. As usual please forgive the photography. It's this or nothing. I never seem to have time for pretty composition. My other set which you've probably already seen, is in the center. I was taking these to send to some other friends who haven't seen them yet, so forgive that redundancy too.

Oh, and I've since trimmed the tiny threads. And knotting these blinkin' things is a ....well...it's HARD y'all!! :eek::eek: I thought I had the patience of Job from my needlework, ripping out sections done wrong and all, but this tried my patience. I must watch more of the videos available here, and read the explantions more closely. Anyway, since this one is just for my personal wear, I'm not worried. And the pictures do NOT do justice to the piece. It just glitters as you move.

Attachments

• pearls on computer 2.jpg
    pearls on computer 2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 32
  • pearls on computer.jpg
    pearls on computer.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 28
They are just lovely! And I laughed when I saw the threads - I have often been in such a rush to share with my pearl co-conspirators here on P-G that I have forgotten to trim mine as well!

Well there were definitely a few curses flying as I tried to get the gimp set (I did a lousy job actually - thank goodness we have to resize our photos and you can't see the mess I made of it!). You realize that I'm complaining about just the little knots at the ends. I didn't even try to knot between the pearls. Lord, with all the trouble I had with the ends, I may need a rubber room when I finally attempt a whole strand! LOL! Note to self: Don't try to learn on something you're hot to actually WEAR anytime soon! :rolleyes:

For reference, it is exactly 18" long...

Last edited:
Having to take apart a necklace 4 times and not being able to go pass more than quarter of the length on each occassion, and they are 9-10mm pearls, not exactly fiddly when compared with yours, I can fully appreciate how frustrating it is to get the job done right!

I had a rest last night, as my hands were arching from the previous night's efforts :(

One thing I must remember in future - ALWAYS check the first and last 2 pearls for drill hole size before commencement of stringing! I spent a good 2h making them larger after breaking 3 needles! :rolleyes:

Well done on persisting with it, and I hope you can plenty of joy wearing it, knowing you made it yourself :D

DK :)

Karen,

Those look great! I love the small hoops with the removable charms! I just finished restringing a 3 strand bracelet for a friend, and only knotted through the last three pearls on each end, which went ok. I skipped the gimp, as the original piece didn't have it either. The great thing was I got to use my "Thread-Zapper" for the first time! A fab little tool! Melted through the powerpro in a second!

Looks fab Karen! Um...I've tried knotting several times...have yet to finish a strand--I applaud your success!

Big well done! I have watched those videos and I must say I found them hard to follow.

Most people when restringing use the bendy needles, and they are good to a point, but when it comes to finishing off they are very difficult to manoeuvre. So over the years I have persevered with the stiff needles and it has paid off (especially when it comes to finishing off).

Regards Bernadette.

Well poop. It broke yesterday and I have to do it again!

Does whining help...?

Sigh...the thread....right around the clasp. I'd made a knot I did knot want, and used my incrrrrrrrrrrrrrredible skills and patience (hurk hurk) from needlework to UNDO the knot, got it properly knotted, but it was knot to be, alas! Alack! The knot was knot the best knot, and unknotted, meaning all that work was for KNOT!! I do knot want to do it again, but must KNOT give in to despair. :-(

I can't tell you how many times I have had to restring something over the past 40 years. It comes with the job.

Sometimes beginners don't breathe while knotting or attaching clasps. Holding your breath or clutching causes a lot of tension in the muscles, then you have to sigh a few times release the tension and you dread doing it over, because it is actually stressful.. Holding your breath is a contraction, breathing out is a release.

When you breathe comfortably as you string and knot, it becomes a kind of meditative state. Zen and the art of knotting, LOL

knot

knot

Hi Ksinger3,

Don't feel sad! It is an opportunity to practice again. Since it's my new hobby, not knotting for sale, I take my time. It's relaxing and can even be done while watching TV (only during commercial). If you feel overwhelm, start with a bracelet first. ;)

Well, my thing is to get up and walk around and breathe, and then sit back down again. As I said, all that needlework.

I WILL do it again, never fear.

And I really do know that not and naught are not knot. I was being quite silly! ;)

Don't despair, we have all been there, taking apart a strand due to mistakes or whatever. It happens all the time.

Practice makes perfect, or should it be Practice makes less mistakes in most cases? :)

Good luck with the next attempt!

DK :)

Back