Wire Wrapping A Little Tahitian Bracelet

khanzy

(now that I think of it this is probably a bit mis-titled considering the potential for wire wrapping techniques, this barely scratches the surface)

Shortly after I fell in love with pearls I became interested in beading and knotting. My hope is to learn enough to knot my own pearls using the fabulous guides available on PG. I also had some inspirations from the lovely strands I have seen on this forum to experiment with color palettes and patterns that I would eventually hope I can request to be custom made. So far my materials have been limited to the glass ‘pearls’ and ‘crystals’ offered at the local craft stores. As this is a pearl forum I will refrain from posting the faux jewelry ;) I believe the designs are all doable using real pearls though! (Very pricey.)

Up until this point I was using Pattye’s Beaders Secret thread as well as stretch magic but I felt I was really missing out by not learning how to work with wire. I came across a great opportunity when I found this loose pearl from Druzy Design! The colors on the pearl are a little more subtle across the silvery body compared to my Tahitian drop pendant, but the range is the same and I thought it would make a sweet match.
Using some online tutorials and looking at the example from pendant, here is my first real attempt on a pearl after a practice round on a decidedly cheaper bead. I have temporarily ‘strung’ the pendant on black cord to play around with different options- cord doubled or single? braided? crimp with what kinds of clasps? or adjustable knot? Right now I have doubled the cord and placed sliding knots on each end of the bracelet. Once I have figured this out I have a deerskin lace waiting for me to use!

Looking back at the really basic 'wire wrapping', I would have positioned the pearl so that the pointed end faced the other loop (that was already on the pin) to make it less lopsided but I was afraid of scratching the larger end. After wearing it for a while I also think that there is a lot more color play happening at this end which the wrapping helps display better. I don’t really mind that it’s not centered.

It just occurred to me- if wire can eat through pearls will this also happen using this material? It is 14k gold plated wire and fits the pearl well with a little “give”. The pearl has room to spin around but there is an angle - probably because I forgot that the pin wasn’t entirely straight before I slipped the pearl on- that the pearl catches and stays still. All in all there is not a great deal of movement. I figured since that is what Druzy Design had used for my pendant it would be okay, since there is little movement compared to stringing an entire strand on uncoated beading wire.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result! No scratched pearls or skin broken by sharp wire edges, though it was challenging to snip the end of the wire and tuck it in while trying to avoid touching the pearl body with my pliers. Clearly I have a lot of things to learn! Critiques, suggestions, advice is very welcome :)

I apologize that the photo quality is poorer than usual, this was taken on Nexus 5 with no adjustments. It doesn't do the colors real justice.
397563_10154058383850294_123655895_n.jpg 10178109_10154058398080294_161668321_n.jpg 10150666_10154058383855294_859588036_n.jpg

Last edited:
Imperfection is part of the appeal of wire-wrapped pearls, so your ever so slightly off-center pearl looks lovely. Did Druzy Design drill the pearl before shipping it off to you?

Thank you, Cyndayco! Yes, I bought it as a loose, fully drilled pearl.

I don't think you have to worry about the wire hurting the pearls. They look terrific. :)

Thanks, GG, juliebeth, Katbran, and pattye :) The way the temp cord is set up right now has worked quite well for me so I am going to switch it onto leather cord.
At first it was a little awkward to tighten the cord after putting it on, but with most bracelets I just have a learning curve with getting used to the clasps anyway.
I bought four more loose Tahitian pearls from Druzy Design to play around with too- one of them is going to have braided leather- two black and one brown cord on a blue-green pearl.
I think Tahitians have officially become my favorite pearl type with their luster and range of colors and shapes!

Khanzy, this is very pretty; I look forward to seeing what you do with your new pearls :)

Thanks, CathyKeshi!

Here are my new loose Tahitian pearls from Druzy Design. This time around the pearls did look lighter and more colorful in photos, they are closest to the images indoor and in indirect light, the colors are much more subtle.

The near-round pair in the upper right is so blue, perfect for a pair of earrings. They are ~13mm, the largest I have :) So I wonder how heavy they will be and if I would do better to be making a long pendant necklace instead, so I can look at them, lol! I think they are too large to be well-balanced on my wrist. The surface is not clean but this was expected and they seem a little like ripples in that regard, so I don't mind at all.

The two pearls on the lower right are rainbow and silver-green. I am planning on making wire wrap solitaire bracelets with these cuties- going to braid one and double the other like the first bracelet.

IMG_2739.jpg

Khanzy, those top pearls would make stunning earrings ... do you have in mind studs or some sort of drop? I know what you mean though; I tend to love bracelets etc. so I can see the jewelry too LOL. Eagerly await seeing what you decide to make from these too; might you show the back side of the bracelet next time? Thanks!

Khanzy, those top pearls would make stunning earrings ... do you have in mind studs or some sort of drop? I know what you mean though; I tend to love bracelets etc. so I can see the jewelry too LOL. Eagerly await seeing what you decide to make from these too; might you show the back side of the bracelet next time? Thanks!

All of the pearls I ordered are fully drilled so I would be making drops if I decide to experiment with making earrings. I think they would be far too large on me though! I am sure they will go through several manifestations- earrings, bracelets, maybe a lariat necklace- before I make a "final" decision. I love that there are so many options!

As for the back side, you are referring to where the toggle would be, right? Currently I have tied two adjustable sliding knots and would have to learn a bit more about crimping to get them into proper clasps.

Yes, Khanzy, I was referring to where the toggle would be, where the sliding knots are now ... nothing wrong with nice knots in my book. I'm sure you'll have fun with those new pearls, especially the top two. Large pearls look nice on anyone, but a lariat also sounds alluring :)

I played around some more with eye pins for these baroque Tahitian bracelets on some mystery cord from an old necklace, black cotton twist cord, and brown deerskin lace.

Clearly I have a lot to learn about working with wire! I have been taking the long route with fiddling around through trial and error rather than consulting a book or other resources online, which I really should do once I have more time. All of my concerns (like the best way to avoid scratching the pearl while handling tough wire in close quarters) would probably be easily addressed there first!

The loops aren't symmetrical or fully round for that matter- poor handling of the round nose pliers. They are more free-form like the pearls- that's the nice way to put it, an euphemism for unrefined, but I kept with the doubled jump ring/cord theme. I need to figure out a way to have the knots lay well especially with the thread doubled like this. I haven't had the single knots come apart so far, but their bulk bothers me.

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2761 (2).jpg

Khanzy,

The bracelets feature the pearls beautifully! And the fun is you can change them whenever you want!!

Thank you, Pattye! I am starting to prefer jewelry that features pearls either singly or as a discrete group over full strands :) That way I can lavish attention on them and not neglect the ones near the nape of the neck, lol! I do wear pendants more successfully than my metallic drops or white rounds.

I definitely enjoy the flexibility I can have with how these pearls are 'set'. Maybe once I collect enough loose pearls they might end up in a larger strand one day! I really like harvest necklaces.

Beaducation.com offers some good instructional videos, now FREE! on wire wrapping and other subjects. Apologies if I mentioned this before.

Cool, this is an excellent resource! All in one place, too~

Great photographs! No one is ever perfectly happy with all their wire wraps. After you decide to let it go and enjoy the product of your work - you hardly notice that there are variations. They really look terrific all the way around. :)

Back