Ebay Tahitans, and how I think I actually got real ones

I checked your links, and yeah, those weren't where I got tahitans from. It was from another seller, but I won't disclose their names unless specifically asked for because I don't want to seem like I'm advertising. I would never claim I got tahitans from these sellers because I don't aim to buy tahitans. I actually buy pearls off ebay expecting they'll be freshwaters. If this strand wasn't different, I wouldn't be posting them!

Plus, you can't use that to completely discount what I'm saying. That's just completely unfair

Pics are here. Please check them out and tell me what they are. If they aren't tahitans, then what are they?

I'm sorry you didn't like my guide lol. There's really not much I can say. It was a late night. I guess I'll have to go and see where I went wrong. Perhaps you can give me more clues as to what's wrong with it?
And PLEASE check out my pics in the updated post, even if you do think it's hogwash, and help me figure out what they are, if not tahitians.

Thank you,

-Redwana

Okay, pica are uploaded! Please give feedback! Sorry it took so long for me to check back! I had no idea that this thread got so big, and I didn't know that there were so many commenters! Thank you for your input, and if they're really not tahitans, then please help me figure out what they are!

Thank you!

-Redwana

I uploaded pictures of the pearl I broke in question.

I'd love your feedback about what exactly the pearls are.

Thank you,

-Redwana

It looks as though you've smashed a tissue-nucleated freshwater pearl. That isn't a bead you're seeing. It's simply layers of nacre. Pearls are similar to onions. You can take them apart, layer by layer.

The dyeing process involves heat and pressure. It's designed to penetrate the nacre.

If it were a Tahitian pearl, the nacre would come off (almost certainly) in a single layer when broken and the bead would be an obvious marble that would look white with striations. Take a look at the photo below.

Attachments

• provoked baroque.jpg
    provoked baroque.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
Pics are here. Please check them out and tell me what they are. If they aren't tahitans, then what are they?

I can't see any pictures but the one Jeremy posted.

(Hadn't thought to do that. Thanks, Jeremy.)

It looks as though you've smashed a tissue-nucleated freshwater pearl. That isn't a bead you're seeing. It's simply layers of nacre. Pearls are similar to onions. You can take them apart, layer by layer.

The dyeing process involves heat and pressure. It's designed to penetrate the nacre.

If it were a Tahitian pearl, the nacre would come off (almost certainly) in a single layer when broken and the bead would be an obvious marble that would look white with striations. Take a look at the photo below.

OOH. I see. This makes so much sense now. I assumed it was freshwater at first, but what threw me off I guess was that it was tissue nucleated. In the past, whenever I smashed pearls (pretty fun lol) I'd see about a few millimeters of nacre and one big shell ball. In the some of the darker/black ones, the nacre was well dyed but the shell wasn't, and was brownish white everywhere on the inside except where the hole was drilled. So I guess it was a point of confusion for me? It's really hard to find pictures of broken pearls to see what you're looking for in one. Well anyways, thank you and everyone else for contributing to the discussion and helping me figure it all out! I'm really glad I came to pearl guide! By the way, I'll edit my ebay guide thingy when I get the chance!

Hi Redwana
I like your open spirit and do not think you are trying to fool anyone. While I admire the fact you wrote an article on pearls for eBay-I have to appreciate the fact you tried- but, your guide is perfectly awful. You actually encourage people to look for $30.00 Tahitians. There is no such thing. In fact the worst Tahitian strand I ever saw (Judi McC took a picture of it in Jeremy's hand at a gem show many years ago) was posted here. The nacre had big holes in it and was separated form the bead on many pearls. The color was a dead gray. No luster whatsoever and they wanted more than 30 bucks.

I would really promote it, if you were to write a guide on how not to get fooled by freshwater pearls being passed as Tahitians and South Sea pearls. The fact that the lying venders charge low prices- though still high for a freshwater- makes unknowing people think they are getting a bargain. But in fact they are getting ripped off- just as you were.

There are several clues to help detect lying venders.
One is using the phrase "Tahitian black". That phrase is a code word for freshwaters dyed black to look Tahitian, so Tahitian is an adjective not a noun in this phrase, but most people do not know that.
Another clue is the lack of roundness. That ALWAYS means freshwater.
A big clue is that the seller is in China. China does not grow Tahitians, and believe me the venders do not import pearls for resale. Period. End of sentence
The biggest clue though is the price. The least expensive Tahitians I know of cost over $300 for a strand and the pearls have flawed skins. Lots of dots and rings and poor luster. Jose at Tahitian pearls.biz sells a heavily ringed multicolor Tahitian for $288 for 17" made up of striated pearls, a look most people do not like on Tahitians, because they really do not look Tahitian, unless you know Tahitians can look like that. I happen to love that look and so do more sophisticated pearl buyers who like a bit of a funky look in pearls.

Please take down that guide and rewrite it. Everyone here will help you get it right, but I personally do not think that article can be corrected. It is better to start over with the title first and go from there.

You are a student. You can learn a lot about pearls here and maybe even read a book or two. Pearls are by far, the most complicated gemstone and most jewelers do no understand pearls- let alone most laymen. If you are on a student budget, you can still get freshwater pearls with a lot of luster for that price, though they will tend to be 7mm and under for roundish pearls. If you like the rice shape, you can get stunning luster for around $30. Your stand has NO luster, it looks dead. That is why they dyed it and called it Tahitian- to get a little more money than it is worth, though still vastly underpriced for a real Tahitian.

One more thing. Tahitans should be spelled TahitIans. There is an "I" after the second T. That is why Josh (a top quality Tahitian pearl farmer) made that joke. That's why the word is red-lined in the drafts of your posts- it is misspelled.

We razzed you, but please stick around and learn; it is people with a good spirit like yours that need to learn to promote pearls correctly. If you can afford to, buy a pearl buyers guide. This one is great and will lesson the chances of you being fooled 90%
attachment.php

Well spoken Caitlin!
(like you, I also love the ringed, "cheap" tahitians.)
Welcome Redwana; you will learn much here … become a pearl jedi.
Cheers.
Linda.

if those LSD pearls were priced right, i'd so get them - i'd love to make a series of pendants out of them, can you imagine a tin cup on fuschia waxed linen, 50 inches or so, with some dangle earrings? those are just AWESOME in their rainbow power!

too bad they're not being sold for what they are.

Back