The Most Incredible Akoya Pearls I Have Ever Seen

Andrew M

Hi Pearl Guide friends...

So, I'm partaking in a very cool photo project that involves pearls. :D

I unfortunately don't think I'll be able to share final photos for some time due to a contractual obligation, but I am more than allowed to share the truly special Akoya pearls that will be used in it... These pearls are on their way to Pattye sometime soon -- I'm excited to have a trusted and valued PG member to be stringing them, and hopefully she'll be willing to share some of her own thoughts after she has seen them in person.

I'll take more and better photos with my actual camera for some comparisons with other pearls just to show how truly out of this world they are. But in the meantime... check out these otherworldly pearls.

The strand is 8.0-8.5mm and the pearls that will end up as earrings are 8.5-9.0mm. I'm finding difficulty taking photos that do them justice.

The pictures have not been edited.

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

And, check out the unbelievable luster close up. I always do the "How many fingers" test - where I see if I can tell how many fingers I'm holding up in the reflective luster of the pearl. If I can tell, I know it's a great pearl. I've never been able to tell this well before, though... Wow. The orient is in another universe, too. They truly look like small, floating, glowing soap bubbles.

IMG_3781.jpg

Thanks for letting me share. :)

OMG, Andrew! They’re like little mirrors. To say they’re beautiful doesn’t begin to cover it.

Those are truly gorgeous. Such luster and they really are like mirrors.

Those are stunning! Thank you for sharing your photos and details. Excited for you and Pattye to be working with them. I know she will do them justice!

Last edited:
Oh WOW! They’re just mesmerizing with the most incredible luster and color I have ever seen! This must be such and exciting project for you and Pattye!!

That's the craziest mirror-like metallic lustre I've ever seen. How are these not artificially treated?

So sorry to do this but am new here and can't figure out where to post.. pls help

So sorry to do this but am new here and can't figure out where to post.. pls help

Where to post depends on what you need... you can check out the different forum sections for particular types of topics such as help identifying pearls you have, information on different types of pearls, etc...

Wow! Just... WOW!!! Those pearls are amazing in all ways, Andrew! Thank you for posting. I hope Patteye will be able to share photos once these beauties are strung!

OMG, mirrors was my first thought, too. Those are amazing. What's the mm depth of the nacre? Can you tell us?

OMG, mirrors was my first thought, too. Those are amazing. What's the mm depth of the nacre? Can you tell us?

I wish I could! I just don't know what it is. These aren't hanadama certified or anything like that - I guarantee they'd pass of course. My only guess is "a lot," lol. Some of the pearls have a slightly uneven texture because of the thickness of the nacre. The other thing is they're extremely heavy for their size, are least to me.

They are definitely special! I'll have to grab a few more photos

Still searching for just the right clasp before they go off to see Pattye.

Back