Wire Wrapping A Little Tahitian Bracelet

Khanzy,

So nicely done with the mirror image! A winner for sure! The large jump ring doesn't look out of place to me either, but a smaller one would be fine also. Are they about 2 inches long?

Thank you Pattye! It was fun wearing them at work today :)
I had to be pretty exact with the measurements so that the wires would start and end at the sweet spots. I was lucky- it doesn't always work out so well, lol!

The earrings are 1.75 inches including the leverbacks, so I would say it is about a 1.25 inch drop.

Thank you JerseyPearl, I am having too much fun with spirals of all different sizes! Though they remind me of mosquito coils, which I can't stand the scent of.

I can't tell your age at all- sounds like what people of all ages do! I'm considered a life-newbie ;) but all I do outside of work is stay home, read, and play with pearls.

Last edited:
Very pretty earrings Khanzy :) I like the jump rings as they are, but can also see your point about a gradual increase in size from the jump rings down through the bottom spirals; the mirror image shows great attention to detail.

Marianne is right - a rawhide mallet is a good choice for wire as it won't make the impressions that a metal hammer would. There are also nylon hammers. I would suggest getting a rubber mat to put underneath, but it isn't necessary. Usually, you can find squares of rubber sheet where the tools are sold at gem shows. I found a place in San Diego that manufactures thick rubber mats and I went there and bought a couple of really thick placemat sized remnants. Come to think of it, a nice thick vinyl placemat might work! :)

Marianne is right - a rawhide mallet is a good choice for wire as it won't make the impressions that a metal hammer would. There are also nylon hammers. I would suggest getting a rubber mat to put underneath, but it isn't necessary. Usually, you can find squares of rubber sheet where the tools are sold at gem shows. I found a place in San Diego that manufactures thick rubber mats and I went there and bought a couple of really thick placemat sized remnants. Come to think of it, a nice thick vinyl placemat might work! :)

GemGeek, do you mean a rubber mat underneath a metal block? Does that reduce the noise or shock? I'm pretty clueless about this all.

Some more fiddling around with wire using 3x5mm lavender freshwater pearls from RainbowIslandPearls.

These seem half-finished to me :confused: like an elementary school craft.

It would be nice to have at least one more pair of hands, preferably doll-sized, ha! I think I also need something like clamps or wire jig to hold the material in place and prevent it from bending when I don't want it to. I must be stating the obvious here- it is wire after all!

IMG_20140510_124143 (1).jpg
2" bar

IMG_20140510_153442.jpg
0.5" bird's nest

A young family member of ours was wearing a necklace last weekend; an Easter present: 3 little pearls in a sterling silver wire wrapped bird's nest; yours is prettier :)

Pattye, I can't get enough of it! So much fun :)

Marianne, that is a great idea! I am currently making another pea pod with a fully wrapped border so I can play around with the options.

CathyKeshi, that is too kind, I felt like my bird's nest 'interpretation' was kind of in-between the literal and simplified versions and was expecting people to find it a bit odd- so it is great to hear that :) And what a sweet Easter present!

GemGeek, thank you! In your previous comment (I replied but it got left behind on page 3), did you mean using a rubber mat underneath a metal block? Or just a rubber mat? Is that reduce the noise or shock? I'm pretty clueless about this all~~

Khanzy, I've been know to like the "odd" version of many things in life LOL. Still, I like the bird's nest. Our cousin is 32, and developmentally challenged, and a loving joy to be with; she was so delighted with her bird's nest pearl necklace. Knowing I like jewelry, she shared it with me ... many times over the course of the weekend :) Her little pearls had a silvery blue cast to them, and were likely inexpensive freshwaters, but looked very nice nestled in their shiny sterling silver nest, and got me thinking about a couple of loose pearls I own, unset, and sitting in a little bag unloved ... so when I saw your nest it rang bells for me. Thanks for sharing!

In the case of lightly hammering, I just use the mat on my wood work bench. I do have a metal block and have used it in the way you suggested. Basically, the rubber cushions things and prevents unintended marks on the underside. Not that I have the free time to make things lately, but I enjoy playing around with jewelry very much. :)

Hi everyone! It's been more than a year and a half...I dove down the rabbit hole of beading and this has been the outcome. Recently I had a table at my workplace craft fair and did much better than expected!
My site features mostly freshwater pearls and Swarovski crystals. I have had a lot of fun going to gem and jewelry shows in the northeast to shop for strands of freshwater pearls. They're not graded pearls but they suit my "fashion" level jewelry just fine :)
Here's a pic, more on the site which functions as a gallery. I'm not set up to do web sales or shipping and don't really want my hobby to become more like work but prices are for my friends that have asked for the stuff I have made so far.
Enjoy! ~~~http://www.khaninzyu.com
Capture.jpg

Thank you both! I lucked out having a hubby that loves photography and has mad web design skills for someone with little technical training :)

Back