Wire Wrapping A Little Tahitian Bracelet

the 13mm Tahitian pair

the 13mm Tahitian pair

I have been browsing through Pinterest and other sites for wire wrapping designs- I think I stumbled on a new area of interest before even learning all the basic beading techniques! The sculptural aspect of working with wire really appeals to me- in addition to traditional media on paper and canvas I found that I enjoy creating structures with painted cardboard. This is right up my alley but much more challenging!

I came across this little tutorial and I thought it would be worth a shot: http://www.rings-things.com/blog/2011/09/30/how-to-do-a-herringbone-wire-wrap/#.U2KnMvldWtM

I still need to work on evening out my loops and swoops, so to speak. But I think these would be quite lovely either on a leather cord like my previous Tahitians or as a necklace with chain on either side. They remind me of eyes! And also help to conceal some of the more obvious blemishes on otherwise lovely pearls.

The photos were taken with my Nexus 5 so they are not usual quality, but I couldn't wait to share :) Critiques and advice very welcome!

IMG_20140430_002831.jpg
~13mm Tahitian pearl from Druzy Design

IMG_20140430_003702.jpg
The pearl with the 'exposed' wire was my first attempt- and first lesson that one should always start with more wire than needed- I took that one to heart. It has since been reworked.

IMG_20140430_140415.jpg
"Final" outcomes!

Last edited:
Lovely design khanzy! Simple, elegant, and with the added appeal of being a bit unexpected!

Very nice, Khanzy! Love the color composition, and that slight edge you again bring, with the hard metal draped in a fluid way around an organic gem :)

Lovely, Khanzy! So many options with this component. Look forward to seeing more :)…. cuz you can't stop now!

Circle pearls and spirals necklace and earring project

Circle pearls and spirals necklace and earring project

Thank you, SS, Pattye, CathyKeshi, Marianne, GemGeek, and Katbran for the kind words on the herringbone Tahitians! I am deep into this wirework obsession now...

Here is my latest project. I ordered some 8-9mm freshwater circle pearls on ebay- their shape elicited the biology geek in me to refer to them as binary fission pearls :) I picked out the ones with the highest luster and most similar forms, a sort of bottom-heavy bisection.

I learnt a nifty new technique the other day, making spirals is the first step to creating little wire cages for pearls. I won't include them here (or my current attempts at making rings) because I think the cages are only appropriate for the most blemished pearls- the few duds that inevitably end up in even a nice strand! Otherwise I would like to display the pearls in their full glory.

I liked the look of the spirals and felt that these circle pearls reflected the theme of..."concentricity". So here is what I have so far. An alternating spiral chain with pearls 5.5" long using gold colored copper wire (22 gauge). I made the jump rings out of the same wire. It's definitely not the most hardy wire, which made it easier for me to create, meaning this necklace is not too durable- there is high potential for the wire to be distorted. So I see it as a sort of prototype for if I decide to pursue the design. This centerpiece will be suspended on gold chain in a similar way as my graduated freshwater necklace (https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8849) but will probably not be doubled, since I think there is plenty of detail present already.

The two larger loose pearls will be made into dangle earrings with matching spiral patterns. I'm very excited to see this one to completion!

View attachment 29273

Attachments

• IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 36
Very pretty. It has an ancient Greek/Roman vibe. Did you hammer the discs? Lightly hammering them will harden them and make them less bendy. :)

Spirals are fascinating ... and I like how you've connected the spirals to each other; creates movement and overlap for interest :)

Very pretty. It has an ancient Greek/Roman vibe. Did you hammer the discs? Lightly hammering them will harden them and make them less bendy. :)

Thank you, GemGeek! I need to research methods to harden wire. I didn't know different hammers could do different things to wire! Are there any materials you would recommend?

Spirals are fascinating ... and I like how you've connected the spirals to each other; creates movement and overlap for interest :)

Thanks, CathyKeshi, I was trying to decide between using one pair or three pairs of jump rings to connect the spirals. I think having the spirals tucked into another balances better with the pearls :)

I love my raw hide mallet…… very gentle on the wire and still gets the job done.

Playing around with earring options. This is 1 3/4" tall including the leverbacks.

I'm still trying to decide how many/what size/shape loops to connect the main piece to the leverbacks. Ideally it would incorporate the doubling and also graduate from small to large. For starters, the single jump rings closest to the leverbacks needs to be much smaller.

Figure-eights are also an option.

earrings.jpg

I love those earrings! I very much like the smaller loops (coils really) on top and the larger on the bottom. They look very wearable...meaning I could see these at the office, with khakis and flip flops, or for going out on the town (am I really showing my age with that last comment?) ETA: I would not have even noticed the larger jump ring unless pointed out...the scale seems to work from what I see.

Back