100 Inch Rope Challenge!!

pattye

Pearl Scholar
Miki, with the 100 inch Akoya rope "Las Vegas Edition 100" offered for $15,000 has thrown down the gauntlet, (although they didn't know it), and P-G knotters and beaders accept the challenge!

Make a 100 inch pearl rope (or longer) and post photos here! It's ok if it you show one you have already made up, we love seeing those also!

This will be a helpful thread for anyone else wanting to do a long rope, and we will have lots of great photos all on one thread! Thanks everyone, in advance!

1. Describe the pearls, size, etc, and what they are strung on!

2. How does it feel to wear it?

3. Any special concerns or challenges when making it?

4. What kind of comments do others make when they see it?

5. What are your favorite ways to wear it?

6. Give it a Worthy Name!!

Everyone who posts photos and answers the questions before June 30, 2009 will receive a little prize from me, but I don't know what that will be as yet, just something fun and a surprise!

Last edited:
Okay, here are my pearls: The white rope is 100" of 8mm chunky FW baroques. I didn't knot this myself, it was a store purchase. A number of the pearls on this strand have nice orient (I made them show me all the strands they had, and the others were all pretty average. This one really stood out.) I don't generally wear it as a 5 strand - that style just emphasizes how thick and short my neck is - but I love wearing it as a torsade, especially with the classic little black dress and a pair of simple dangle earrings. (Sorry for how fuzzy the torsade photo is, but you get the idea.) It is not too heavy for me at all - I rather like being able to feel the pearls sitting on my neck.

The other is a 132" necklace with 7x4mm (ish) dyed FW pearls and tiny garnets. I made this one a while ago and really liked it until the darn silk stretched (this was before the PowerPro revolution). Now it tangles horribly and is more trouble than it is worth. I may reknot it for this challenge since I have been avoiding doing it. Not only do I have to knot it again, I have to cut it apart first! Ugh... I was young and foolish when I made this and hung it rather than storing it in a bag. Definitely PowerPro for the re-do! When I did wear it, I would just loop it twice and wear as opera length. The strands swing nicely with such little beads. It has a very twilight-y feel with the dark tones. It makes me think of warm summer nights with the very last hints of color fading from the sky, when you can barely discern the outlines of objects before they are swallowed by the night.

As far as names, I always call the white rope my Century pearls because they are exactly 100". I think the garnet rope may have to wait for a name until it is restrung and back in my good graces.

Attachments

• 100in.jpg
    100in.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 56
  • twist.jpg
    twist.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 132in.jpg
    132in.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 48
Beautiful Boo--the pearls and the neck. Love the torsade. You have a head start!

Ummmm--now I have to buy more pearls!!!

Very nice! To be honest, it's not the knotting that gets me. It's the cutting apart ... My max was 72" with lots of tangling, and I'm not redoing that anytime soon!

Hmm... I think I just received some pearls that would work nicely for such a project. Will follow up if it comes to fruition. :)

Boo, those are serious pearls. And I'm very happy to see that garnet strand. I have a ~36 inch white rice and micro-garnet strand all photographed and ready to go in a new store, and now I have hope someone might think it's as pretty as I think it is.

Last edited:
Boo, I love the torsade look! How do you get it on though? Did you twist it first or did you put it on then twist?

Hi members,

I really love to hear that you are going to try to do ropes of 100" however then some of you have to come forward with advice on how to lengthen the silkthread or Power Pro in an easy fathomable way - I have asked this before and got the answer that the knotter in question had the whole length all the time but I think when using Power Pro it might tangle, I had this happening with a necklace that was only 35" long. I could open up the "self happening" knot but the line still had a "little" knotfeeling so every pearl slipping along the line finished at this particular point, which was quite annoying.
For a 100" necklace that would mean 400" and some extra inches of line/thread, and I don?t think it would be possible to have it with you all the time/way while knotting.....

Inge, when I have an unmanageable length of stringing material, I coil it up and hold it in the coil with a paper clip (the ones I use are actually shaped like flat spirals, but I think regular ones would work the same). So my work consists of the knotted pearls, several feet of thread, a couple dozen loose pearls to be knotted, the coiled thread, and then the rest of the pearls waiting to be knotted. When I have knotted all the pearls in the "staging area", I undo the coil, slide another few dozen pearls up to the knotted pearls, leave a bit of thread to work with and then recoil the rest of it. Also, I will frequently place a ziplock bag over the coil and loose pearls just to help keep them contained you (you can just zip it over the thread). I tend to be a bit wasteful of thread and always WAY overestimate what it will take because I shorted myself once and I hate redoing ropes because of mistakes (creative redos are okay, but screwups just make me grumpy)

Also, working with a houseful of cats teaches you how to minimize the amount of stringing material not in your immediate control :rolleyes:

borah, I fold it in half so I have a 25" length, twist it, put it over my neck and then hold the 2 ends together with a pearl clip ( I fasten it in front so I can see what I'm doing and then slide it to the back)

borah, I fold it in half so I have a 25" length, twist it, put it over my neck and then hold the 2 ends together with a pearl clip ( I fasten it in front so I can see what I'm doing and then slide it to the back)

Ohh, a pearl clip! That's genius :) I'll have to get one of those.

Hi Boo,

that seems to be a great idea. I have to check if it would work for me even though for the moment I don?t have the needed material - pearls. Thanks.

100 inches of FUN!

100 inches of FUN!

Hello fellow pearls!

I would like to enter my 100" necklace as a contender in said challenge. I started this last night as the sun was setting. I ran about the house and collected every fun pearl from the back of drawers, found pearls mixed in with bags of other beads, and even those rolling around in the back of the safe and file cabinet etc. etc. In other words the entire necklace is made of "reclaimed pearls". Sorting the colors took the most amount of time, but I had a great time turning my own house into a treasure hunt playground. Then I woke up super early to finish sorting and drilling with daylight.

1. There are 297 pearls including: Japan Akoya, Japan Kasumi, South Sea, Kamoka and other Tahitians, and Chinese fresh water. The sizes range from 5mm (Kamoka keshi) to 13.8 in the "other" Tahitians. I strung the necklace on "ceramic thread" (by Gunze) and knotted every 4 inches or so (because it's only fun to look for a few pearls on the dance floor, not hundreds). Most all of the pearls are natural color with the exception of the golden south sea (which is most likely dyed) and the blue Japan Akoya (which were probably "stabilized"). Most every pearl is baroque, some are shinier than others.

2. I feel like Indian Royalty when I wear this. (Did I mention it's pretty heavy?)

3. Finding enough pearls to make the 100" was a challenge! I filled in for length using Japan Akoya pearls from the family's old stock, and random inches of Chinese fresh water. I wanted the colors to bleed from one tone to the next, starting a project like this at sunset made that more difficult! Also I felt a little guilty having so much fun doing this while I had so many pending business details to attend to!

4. Besides my "Web-Guru" Silver.. who said it looked like a very expensive jump rope.. you are the fist to see it.

5. So far my favorite way to wear it, is doubled across my body. When slung over one shoulder, it hangs just at the opposite hip. (it may be too heavy to be worn hanging around the neck)

6. I call it " GRACE "

So Thank you Pattye, Boo (and the rest... Mikimoto included) for the inspiration. When I found out it need not be completely knotted.. I started searching. Can't wait to see what others do. I really enjoyed this!

Sarah

Attachments

• grace1.jpg
    grace1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 49
  • grace2.jpg
    grace2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 52
  • grace6.jpg
    grace6.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 47
  • grace3.jpg
    grace3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 45
  • grace7.jpg
    grace7.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 52
Oooooh. Amazing! That strand is like the Kojima site itself--an example of the amazing pearls you have access to and the unexpected, creative way you present them. Great rainbow gradient arrangement.

Sarah, that rope is amazing- a veritable rainbow of color. I am so jealous that your reclaimed pearls look like *that*!

Boo, I'm picking your brain on how to do this when you get here.

I'll add some paper clips to the momi bag! :p

Back