Multi-Strand (3 or more) Necklace Challenge!

GemGeek -- I am so sorry to read about Cleveland. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Our pets are our beloved companions and preparing to lose them is very painful.

Thanks for the kindness. I don't want to kill the thread. I hope to see more necklaces before the new deadline. :)

Better Late than Never~

Better Late than Never~

Have been wanting to experiment with combining 3 different strands that would work loose or as a torsade, so this is how it finished up.

Plum dyed off round cfwp, 7mm (charcoal thread)

Silver coin pearls, 12-13mm, pastel overtones (gray thread)

Rock crystal quartz twist beads, 9x12mm (mist thread)

Sterling silver clasp with a simple hook and loop on the back side from Artbeads.com

Usually I would start with the inside (shortest row) but on this one decided to do the coins first, as I wasn't certain I'd like them. Used 2 fw at each end as the coins are large. Seems to hang ok.

P1010337_exposure.jpg

Next, the row of dark pearls. I'm happily knotting away and find I've strung a badly blemished pearl. What to do? Bring on the block and hammer. The offending pearl is no more and I don't have to restring!

P1010340_exposure.jpg

Decided to use a quartz bead without faceting, so making the piece less formal. The holes were large; considered using wire, but for consistency at the clasp went with thread. It took 6 threads to make a knot large enough to keep from slipping inside the bead! So here's the finished necklace.

Three strands including the clasp measure 22-23-24 inches. Twisted into a torsade, approx 19-20 inches. Here's a final look.

P1010341_exposure.jpgP1010342_exposure.jpgP1010343_exposure.jpgP1010344_exposure.jpg

Although I didn't make earrings (yet) I might later. One could also wear diamond studs or sterling hoops.

Your triple strand/torsade turned out absolutely gorgeous Pattye! I love the colors and textures and those fw pearls are SO lovely. That clasp is pretty fabulous too.

Pattye - your necklace is gorgeous, very feminine (I think romantic too). Your picture story is fabulous, don't think I would have thought to smash a pearl.

GemGeek - I am so sorry about your favorite cat, Cleveland's diagnosis. Pets are really family members, closer to us than some of our human family. I lost my 2 year old bully to mediastinal lymphoma last year, we were devastated, so I speak from my heart, all I can say is love and spoil Cleveland.

Thanks everyone for the sweet thoughts on Cleveland. I am trying to chill out about it. I'm sure he wonders why I brush him as long as he wants, etc. Okay - back to the pearls so I can maintain my composure.

Genius to bust the pearl!!! I love the clasp -it looks like a freeform bow. I would never have put those strands together, and yet when they were twisted, they morphed into the most beautiful whole. The crystal makes it. IMO!

Pattye, I love that necklace. And I agree with GemGeek and thought just the same thing...never would have thought to put them together..but twisted they are fabulous! I love crystal...just finished a big statement piece using very large crystal beads...weighs a ton...but looks great :) And that clasp is really great .. I'm always searching for a big clasp for multi stands that can be worn on the side if you wish..did you make that one with the PMClay?

Wow, Pattye, that's an amazing necklace. One thing I'm curious about. How did smashing the pearl help? Didn't it just leave you with two knots and no pearls in between?

- Karin

Thank you very much, everyone, Litgeek, Amrita, Gemgeek, Simply Adorned, Katbran, KarinK for your kind remarks!

Katbran, LOVE your unique necklace with the classic colors! So LBD worthy!!

The clasp is from Artbeads.com, called 3-strand rumpled hook & eye clasp, around $20, but they often have 20% off sales. Have played around with PMC a little, it's great fun! Hope to purchase a small kiln someday.

KarinK, fortunately I noticed the bad pearl BEFORE I made the 2nd knot! Otherwise it would have meant a redo on that whole strand.

Everyone who participated in this challenge and would like a prize, please pm me your shipping info by Sept 10th. Thank you!

Last edited:
I love all the new submissions!

Karin, LOVE that bracelet! Very fabulous with the clasp, and I love that you got to use that meaningful piece in a piece of jewelry you can wear a lot.

simplyadorned, What an unusual and cool way to wear a multistrand! I love it.

lacorsetiere, lovely! I've been really curious about trying out metal clays, do you find them to be hard to work with? I'd love to use them to make pendants with bigger pearls, but I'm not sure about the logistics.

pattye, LOVE that! I have some coin pearls sitting around and haven't known what to do with them, I love the idea of mixing the different textures of pearls. Very pretty! And that clasp! gorgeous.

Katbran, very pretty!

Yes, the new submissions are incredible!

KarinK - the turquoise and pearl bracelet is stunning!

Simply adorned - I love your design, totally want to try to do something like this now.

Pattye - that hammer is no joke. You come off as so cool and inventive in that story. Gorgeous clasp, too!

I'm so impressed, and especially by the designs I know, at least at this point, I wouldn't be able to even begin to make.

So much creativity here with all the wonderful submissions. Can't pick a favorite. Bravo to all of you.

Back