Trying to find out about these beauties

Skoozer

I would really like to know what others think of these pearls. I was told a man stationed in Japan in 1960 bought this necklace for his wife. Suppose to have waited three years for the complete necklace because he wanted all the pearls to be as perfectly round as he could get? There are 50 blue grey color pearls and they seem to have a lot of luster to them , but I really don't know anything about pearls or how much these would be worth. If anyone out there can give me some input I'd sure appreciate your valued opinions, thought, knowledge. I am going to attempt to load some pictures but since this is my first time we will see!!?? Wish me luck

Attachments

• P1020019.jpg
    P1020019.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P1020026.jpg
    P1020026.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020020.jpg
    P1020020.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1020029.jpg
    P1020029.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 36
  • FW
    FW
    13.3 KB · Views: 45
Hello Skoozer,

Welcome! Can you please answer 1 4 and 5? Your photos are useful, although I can't see the clasp clearly.

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

It's possible these are natural color blue silver cultured akoya pearls. A friend showed me her drop shape pearl pendant from that era 6 months ago. It was intensely blue with pink overtones. I had never seen an akoya pearl so beautiful. These pearls seem similar in color to her pendant.

In the last few years we are seeing natural color akoya in blue-silver, pale pink, light gold and even pale green.

That said, akoyas have been dyed black (peacock) and silver for many years. Whether this is a dyed color or natural color will make a difference in the value.

Let's see what others have to say~

I can't see what else they could be. Must be Akoya but extremely beautiful ones. I had a necklace a few years ago that were multi coloured in pastel tones and I believe they were akoya. They were very beautiful and the colours were subtle. I will try and find an old photo of them. Just might still have them. I have had some vintage blue akoyas and they were beautiful. I have some at the moment but they are modern akoyas.

Once we have sizes and other info we should be able to give you an idea of what they are worth.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.
Dawn's Pearls - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

The story makes sense, as the genetic factor that makes akoya pearls blue also tends to make them baroque. That would explain the three-year wait for the matched strand. :cool:

They certainly are uniform and lustrous-- either a very nice strand of akoyas, or imitations, but I think akoyas if the nacre test checks out (grittiness.)

Very beautiful color. Is it possible to buy pearls like that today?

I'll leave the specifics to the experts here, but what a beautiful strand with vivid colors. It does look like blue akoya with pink overtones, the matching is excellent.
I have been wondering, do blue akoyas with pink overtones only occur naturally, or can they be bleached, then dyed, then given overtone of a different color like that?
What is the usual price range for a strand of round, natural blue akoyas?

Last edited:
Akoyas can certainly be dyed blue, but the results are not so lovely.

Here is a thread about that, with photos showing some naturally blue and dyed blue pearls:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5917

PP carries the naturally blue round Madama (like Hanadama) akoyas and as I recall they are over $3,000 when in stock. The OP may prefer to keep the price they paid private.

Absolutely gorgeous, and I have to concur with the other posters here- those definitely look like a natural-color blue Akoya with Rose overtones- the color is very distinctive. Congratulations on your find- those are stunning.

What strikes me about the necklace is that it's not graduated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most necklaces from that era graduated to a much larger degree? I don't think a non-grad strand is impossible (considering the 3 year wait period), but definitely... not usual for that time period.

I think matched cultured pearl necklaces were part of the fashion scene from the 50's onward, however prohibitively expensive for most people.

The most famous set is probably Marilyn Monroe's 16in set of 44 matched Mikimotos, supposedly given to her by Joe DiMaggio in 1954, during their honeymoon in Japan.
(Mikimoto, who now own and exhibit the necklace, actually claims to be the party that gifted her the necklace).

ladydoryan-2009062051315-Mikimotpearls-original.jpg

By my calculation they are about 8mm. Heaven knows what the retail would've been in 1954. Certainly it would've been a fortune.

So I'm guessing that 50 pearl blue/grey necklace in 1960 would probably have been comparatively expensive, it is magnificent.

By the way, the owner of the "50 Shades of Grey" (I bet that name sticks) necklace should document as much of the provenance/history as possible and keep it with the pearls.

Today's equivalent necklace to buy would be in the low $thousands. However vintage cultured pearls were left in the shell much longer, have thicker nacre and more luster.

I'm thinking as a proven vintage necklace from 1960's, with provenance, it should always command a good premium over it's modern equivalent.

What a stunning strand! I hope someone (very lucky!) will get to enjoy wearing them!

I came across these during the course of my "studies" here a few days back and they've been with me since; had to come ogle again today. :)

Finished page 30 of the "What have I got?" thread today; quite a resource you folks have here! Sometimes I even ID correctly!

Went back through that jewelry box the golden imitation strand was found in and re-examined the other "pearl" items. Feel pretty confident I've identified two real pearls, possibly older Akoyas, permanently caged on 14k chains which don't, size-wise, allow for the cages to be taken off the chains; cages do look like legit gold. They're not high quality, maybe vintage pick-a-pearls from some place like Sea World. Mom's been wearing one of them around the house but it needs a bath. Also think the "pearls" on a matching set of earrings may be real, but less certain. When weather and schedule allow, I want to photograph those and ask you folks about some of the flaws, etc. on them. Was able to weed out several fakes and feel the marked difference between "resistance"/"grittiness" and "slippery"/"smoothness" when rubbing them together; showed Dad the difference too.

The amethyst thread is a delight and I've read a bit about stringing and enjoyed seeing everyone's projects. I LOVE tin cups! I'd already started learning about wire wrapping, and begun gathering supplies, prior to finding P-G and have a couple of practice pendants planned but, eventually, I would love to make a tin cup necklace and bracelet. Do you think blue akoyas on the silver side of the spectrum would play well with smaller white pearls and amethyst in a silver tin cup format?

Just realized I'm going way off topic, sorry! Will certainly be checking yard sales and thrift stores for vintage blue akoyas...and clasps! Oh my word, you folks find stunning clasps! And I was delighted with that little white gold "filigree" fishook on the imitation strand! Hehe...

Hi Tiggs! I really like your tin cup, silver blue akoya, white akoya and amethyst idea. So fun to hear your excitement and enthusiasm :)

Thanks, Cathy. Not sure what shape of amethyst...must investigate possibilities! :)

I like the idea of combining amethyst with silvery-blue akoyas and white pearls, especially if the white pearls are actually white rather than cream.

Back