Mikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960

Ms Linda

I can't figure out how to edit the subject line but it should say late 1950's to early 1960 (which was when I was in Japan).

I was nine years old in 1960 when I went with my mother and father to Mikimoto Island in Japan. (My dad was in the Air Force stationed at Tachikawa Air Force Base in Tokyo.) We drove all day to get to the island where we saw women diving for oysters and saw where the pearls are taken from the oysters, and made into jewelry. While we were there my mom bought this necklace. I don't remember what she paid for it, but I do remember it was a big, big deal. About 20 years ago she gave the necklace and earrings to me. Between mom and I both it hasn't been worn for more than a handful of times. I don't remember if the earrings are matched, or if my mom bought them separately, but the color sure is close.

The necklace is 16" long with a stamped clasp. It is strung with the original silk string and there's a knot between the first three pearls (see photos). I used a rudimentary caliper to measure them and every pearl is consistently the same size, about 7 mm.

How do I determine the value of the necklace and earrings? I have no idea where to take it to have it appraised. I live near Boise, Idaho.
I would like to sell it and need to know what would be a fair price. I've looked one etsy and ebay but the prices are all over the place.

Thank you.

Mikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960 in boxMikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960 clasp with pearlMikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960 SIL markMikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960Mikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960Mikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960Mikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960Photo_2024-01-29 15_59_16_844.JPGMikimoto Pearl Necklace from late 1950's/early 1960

Last edited:
Very pretty and a nice backstory!
It could use a cleaning and restringing; you can send it to Mikimoto for this service, if you like.

(Edited to reflect changes in the original post.)

If you are considering selling it, then you are talking about resale value. This will be lower than replacement value; one buys at retail but sells at wholesale. Generally speaking, pre-owned pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale; however, Mikimoto will sell for a higher price than unbranded pearls. To see what similar items are selling for, look at completed (sold) listings on eBay. If you do have it cleaned and restrung this will reduce your profit and you may wish to leave that job to the buyer.

Last edited:
Very pretty and a nice backstory!
It could use a cleaning and restringing; you can send it to Mikimoto for this service, if you like.

So, here is my question: for what purpose do you want it appraised?

If it's for the purpose of insurance, then you are talking about replacement value. However, I do not think they are valuable enough to need to be insured. JMO.

If you are considering selling it, then you are talking about resale value. This will be lower than replacement value; one buys at retail but sells at wholesale. Generally speaking, pre-owned pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale; however, Mikimoto will sell for a higher price than unbranded pearls. To see what similar items are selling for, look at completed (sold) listings on eBay. If you do have it cleaned and restrung this will reduce your profit and you may wish to leave that job to the buyer.
Thank you. This is my first post so I wasn't sure about wording, pictures, etc. I edited the post to say I'm interested in selling the necklace and I added a couple more pictures with the string. I looked at ebay and etsy and on several web sites and the prices are all over the place. That's why I was asking if someone could help me find an appraiser. Do you have an address to send the necklace out for cleaning and restringing? Do you know how much they would charge? Will they give an appraisal for resale value? Resale value is my #1 question.

It's up to you, but you could either send it to Mikimoto (I don't have the address but I'm sure you can find it online) or just have a local jeweler restring it. Many jewelers have someone they send their pearls to for restringing. Pearl Paradise also does restringing. You can ask them what they charge.
ETA: If you do send it to Mikimoto I believe they can supply a certificate of authenticity, which may make it easier to sell.

I can't give you the names of any appraisers; maybe someone else on here can. But seriously, you will just reduce your profit. At the end of the day it is only worth what people will pay for it, no matter what an appraiser says. If you set the sale up as an auction starting at the lowest price you would accept, the market will decide the price. Or start at a fixed price that makes sense to you and lower it if necessary.
Besides eBay there is Loupe Troop as a jewelry sales venue.

I edited again to add this: the high end Mikimoto necklaces have 18K gold clasps with diamonds. I've read that it has to be AA or AAA to get the diamond clasp; lower grades get the pearl clasp. Having a silver clasp instead of gold, yours will be worth a bit less just because the price of gold is so high now. This may help you determine value.

Last edited:
Another option is to consign it with a local jeweler. You would get a percent of the sale-- 50% is common-- and you would not have the burden of listing it, paying listing and final value fees, shipping costs and insurance-- and the risk that the buyer will return it. I would give this serious consideration.

Also... I think your necklace is 6.5-7mm. The math works for the number of pearls and the length of your necklace. The pearls in a straight size (non-graduated) akoya necklace are not all going to be exactly the same size-- they would normally all be within a 0.5mm range. This is because the pearls are grown in living animals, not factories, so they are not a calibrated size. If you look at the Mikimoto website you can see this is how they list them. 6.5-7.0mm, 7.0-7.5mm etc.

Another option is to consign it with a local jeweler. You would get a percent of the sale-- 50% is common-- and you would not have the burden of listing it, paying listing and final value fees, shipping costs and insurance-- and the risk that the buyer will return it. If would give this serious consideration.

Also... I think your necklace is 6.5-7mm. The math works for the number of pearls and the length of your necklace. The pearls in a straight size (non-graduated) akoya necklace are not all going to be exactly the same size-- they would normally all be within a 0.5mm range. This is because the pearls are grown in living animals, not factories, so they are not a calibrated size. If you look at the Mikimoto website you can see this is how they list them. 6.5-7.0mm, 7.0-7.5mm etc.
@pearldreams you always have such good knowledge and advice. Thanks for always taking such time and effort to help people with their questions.

Thank you. This is my first post so I wasn't sure about wording, pictures, etc. I edited the post to say I'm interested in selling the necklace and I added a couple more pictures with the string. I looked at ebay and etsy and on several web sites and the prices are all over the place. That's why I was asking if someone could help me find an appraiser. Do you have an address to send the necklace out for cleaning and restringing? Do you know how much they would charge? Will they give an appraisal for resale value? Resale value is my #1 question.
You could waste countless dollars on appraisals and restringing at Mikimoto. In 2022 I called Mikimoto and got a quote to have my 1893 Anniversary (1983 purchase) strand evaluated and they quoted me $250 just for an evaluation; this was to make sure that the pearls and clasp were authentic. This fee did not include restringing services or shipping and insurance both ways. Because of this, I didn't even ask how much restringing services were, when it would cost over $300 to confirm my pearls were Mikimoto. So considering all this, how much would you actually make on your "Vintage" strand with a sterling silver clasp? With pearls, as is said so frequently on this forum, the real value is sentimental. Not sure what you are hoping to make on these pearls, but following @pearldreams advice to look at similar silver clasp Mikimoto strands selling prices on EBay would be your best gauge to see if restringing and appraisals are even worth pursuing. Your story is so sweet; it is worth documenting and sharing with family and then perhaps leave the pearls to a family member who will treasure them. If you need to raise money and there isn't anyone to give them too, best wishes for the very best selling price.

Last edited:
@MotherOfPearlTrumpet, thank you for your kind words. :)

Having looked at what 6.5-7.0mm Mikimoto necklaces have sold for on eBay (and mentally reducing the price in consideration of the silver clasp), and having read MotherOfPearlTrumpet's account of what Mikimoto charges-- well, I am inclined to agree with dispensing with having Mikimoto do the restringing and certifying. Have someone else restring them-- or do the job yourself! I restring all my pearls and so do many of us here. It's not hard-- especially since you will only need to knot a few end pearls. And it saves a ton of money.

I wrote a tutorial on how to string pearls :

Pattye has an Etsy shop where she sells a little kit with all you need to do the restringing. Think about it. Less money spent on restringing and appraisals = more money in your pocket.

So many great suggestions here. You might also check RubyLane.com for comparables. They usually have a selection of vintage Mikimoto pieces for sale.
I've never looked at Rubylane.com. I took a look today after your recommendation and they are pricy! I guess that is a good place to list things that may be worth more. There was a Mikimoto necklace EXACTLY the same as one I saw on EBay and the EBay necklace was $9,800 and the Rubylane necklace was $25,800, for the same necklace...well, perhaps the Rubylane came with something extra like papers, etc. I didn't check into it that closely. Have you ever purchased or sold something on Rubylane.com?

I've never looked at Rubylane.com. I took a look today after your recommendation and they are pricy! I guess that is a good place to list things that may be worth more. There was a Mikimoto necklace EXACTLY the same as one I saw on EBay and the EBay necklace was $9,800 and the Rubylane necklace was $25,800, for the same necklace...well, perhaps the Rubylane came with something extra like papers, etc. I didn't check into it that closely. Have you ever purchased or sold something on Rubylane.com?
I've never sold any jewelry -- ever anywhere. Ruby Lane is interesting. Thanks!

Another option is to consign it with a local jeweler. You would get a percent of the sale-- 50% is common-- and you would not have the burden of listing it, paying listing and final value fees, shipping costs and insurance-- and the risk that the buyer will return it. I would give this serious consideration.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your input. I decided to find an credentialed American Gem Society jeweler near me. The only one in Idaho is about 50 miles from me (near Boise) and I took my necklace there to have it appraised. They said they will do an appraisal for $150, but only if they look at it and decide if the necklace is worth at least $1,000. If the necklace is worth less, there will be no charge. I thought this was a good place to take the necklace. Now, I wait to hear back from them. It could take several days and they said they would call me.
I decided that if they determine the value is greater than $1,000, then I'll ask them if they would like to sell it for me. If not, then I'll figure out what to do from there. Again, I really appreciate your input and I'll let you know what happens.

I am familiar with Ruby Lane and there is a fee for listing or becoming a seller. In addition, usually vintage items are sold in good condition, e.g. cleaned and restrung. Additionally, if you don't have a Mikimoto cert your selling price will be very small and maybe a discussion of the provenance ( your trip) would help. I would see what certified necklaces are selling for on Rubylane and then make a decision if it's worth it to send to Mikimoto.

Just FYI - I was thinking of getting my Mikimoto pearls restrung -- there is some fraying. I spoke to someone at Mikimoto and she quoted me $160 + $38 shipping to restring an 18" necklace. I would have to either drop off the necklace at Mikimoto/certified Mikimoto retailer or I can ship it to Mikimoto. I also asked about getting an appraisal -- $400.

Just FYI - I was thinking of getting my Mikimoto pearls restrung -- there is some fraying. I spoke to someone at Mikimoto and she quoted me $160 + $38 shipping to restring an 18" necklace. I would have to either drop off the necklace at Mikimoto/certified Mikimoto retailer or I can ship it to Mikimoto. I also asked about getting an appraisal -- $400.
This is good to know. That actually isn't too much for restringing, except for the shipping and insurance. The appraisals are so pricy! Consistent with my call to them to authenticate a strand.

Back