Sellers Regret

jlaw87

I apologize in advance, as these are terrible photos. I purchased these at an estate sale a year or so ago for $15. Another woman in my gated community announced in our community board that she was having a friend in to visit who was a jewelry buyer for a store up the coast and all were invited to sell if we were interested. Being that I had several pieces sitting in my box that I never wear, I went. I took my estate sale pearls as well, he offered me $100 for them but I agreed to sell them at $150, I do love my pearls but at this point I almost need to upgrade to a larger box for them all! Its been several months since I sold this strand and I've found myself in a pit of regret. I also feel like maybe I really did myself over and that they may have been worth significantly more than the $150 I let them go for. Not that there's anything to do about it now, having confirmation of whether I did so or not will help me not make the same mistake in the future lol. I've scoured the internet in attempt to find another strand like them but have yet to find anything with the same clasp.
As much as I love pearls, my knowledge of them and their terminology is near nonexistent. If anyone could tell me what this clasp style is called and guesses on what type of pearls these are I'd be very much appreciative.

pearl necklace

pearl necklace clasp

You did well getting a graduated strand of cream colored, pre-owned, not-very-high-quality akoya pearls for $15.

But selling them for 10x what you paid? I think you did very well indeed, and should not look back with regret!
(Used pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale.)

Keep an eye out on Ebay. Graduated Akoya Vintage pearls go on sale all the time, (almost everyone's grandma had them) and the clasp, even if it is gold, is readily available. I have several I've pulled that same clasp off other strands just like this one. Use the money you made to buy another strand, and this time you can upgrade to pearls with even better luster. I agree with the others, you made a good sale on something that you will eventually find again, for another good price.
These are more expensive than yours, but much nicer quality pearls. Keep an eye out...they truly do turn up all the time. I usually pay $70 to $125 for a strand like yours with a gold clasp.

Last edited:
You did well getting a graduated strand of cream colored, pre-owned, not-very-high-quality akoya pearls for $15.

But selling them for 10x what you paid? I think you did very well indeed, and should not look back with regret!
(Used pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale.)
I would definite pat myself on the back for that sale! I usually throw these types of pearl neckaces into bulk lots when I sell on Ebay. The clasp is a very common type, I think they're called fish shape or fish hook clasps.

Back