Staying in The Loop

jshepherd

This is an article I wrote for The Valuer in Australia. The latest issue is dedicated to pearls as a Grahame Brown memorial issue.

Understanding the ever-changing market for cultured freshwater pearls

Freshwater Pearls, the last century
The cultured freshwater pearl industry has a history of nearly 100 years. Just after Mikimoto began culturing beaded akoya pearls and before the world even knew of the existence of black pearls from the Pinctada margaritifera, Dr. Masao Fujita was culturing freshwater pearls in the Hyriopsis schlegeli mussel in Lake Biwa, Japan.

Over the last century, cultured freshwater pearls have remained primarily in the shadow of their cultured marine pearl cousins, often misunderstood, frequently misrepresented and nearly always underappreciated. Still today, the term “cultured freshwater pearl” conjures up images of Rice Krispie shapes, and orange and yellow dye-saturated colors to many in the industry.

Freshwater Pearls, the last decade
Today, freshwater pearls are quickly disrupting earlier conceptions and opinions. Nearly all production has moved from Japan to China, and from the inferior Cristaria plicata Chinese mussel to the superior Hyriosis cumingi Chinese, and the Hyriopsis schlegeli Japanese mussel in China. The Chinese, with their wealth of labor, land and new-found capitalistic drive, have brought freshwater pearls to a new level. Today’s best freshwater pearls rival the beauty of a fine akoya or South Sea strand, yet they are solid nacre and cost a mere fraction of their beaded rivals.

In 2006, China produced an estimated 1,500 metric tons of freshwater pearls. While much of the production is lower-end material--nearly half of the total is unsuitable for finished jewelry--there is that small volume--less than 1/10th of a percent--that's gem grade. How can such a small percentage have an effect on consumer and industry opinion? That tiny percentage is about 1.5 metric tons a year, or nearly 50,000 strands.

Constant Changes
The cultured freshwater pearl industry, unlike the Tahitian, South Sea and akoya industries, operates in an environment with little to no constraint. China’s vast size, combined with the strong drive for success, has created an environment where producers are free to set their own rules. They determine how long the mussels stay in the water, the cultivation methods, and the sizes and qualities presented as raw material to the processing factories.

Cultured freshwater pearl wholesale and retail buyers must be on top the constant changes in the Chinese industry to understand everyday business and accurately value their purchases. The most important changes, and the easiest to miss, involve material size and ratio at the processing factory level.

When 0.9 means 1 and 16 means 16.5
A little-known fact in China is that the size and length of a hank or the size range of a lot of loose pearls can often determine how long ago the pearls were harvested. That’s an important consideration because freshwater pearls can lose luster if not stored and cared for properly, or if over-treated during processing. The pearls' age can be determined because material sizes are constantly declining. There was a time when a temporary strand of pearls graded as a 7.0-8.0 mm strand was sold as a 16.5-inch, 7.0-8.0 mm strand. That typical princess length would knot to an average of 18 inches. That time is long gone.

The first dip in material sizing happened at the turn of the century. As material pricing fluctuated, producers realized they could lower the sizes of their lots and strands by a mere tenth of a millimeter and increase their profit by a full 10 percent. 7.0-8.0 mm strands became 6.9-7.9 mm. Buyers barely noticed that tiny difference. There was some confusion, but there was also quick acceptance.

A slight drop in strand length followed. By 2003, a temporary strand of freshwater pearls no longer knotted to 18 inches. The new standard was 17.5 inches. The processing factories were then able to pocket the pricing advantage.

Size declines have continued unabated for the past five years, with a drop of approximately 0.1 mm every other year. Eventually, the industry had no choice but to take notice.

Today
The biggest change in material size happened in the past year. Today, a factory-size material strand of 7.0-8.0 mm pearls actually measures 6.5-7.5 mm. But that’s not the end of the story. Just over a year ago, that same strand would have measured 6.6-7.6 mm. About half of the pearls would have fallen in the upper 50 percent size range, with the other half in the lower 50 percent range. With current material sizing, the situation has changed dramatically. Now, only 25 percent of the pearls fall in the upper range, and 75 percent fall in the lower range.
What does this mean for buyers and sellers?

Knowledge is the first and most important tool a wholesale or retail buyer has. Understanding sizing is key to understanding pricing and value. By comparing a supplier's historical sizing and pricing, a buyer can determine how much negotiation is necessary to get an appropriate price. If a buyer is dealing directly with a factory, a discussion of hank sizing has to take place.

Many buyers now source cultured freshwater pearls in half-size increments similar to those in the wholesale akoya business. Instead of buying full millimeter sizes, buyers can now focus on sizes like 7.5-8.0 mm, or 8.5 to 9.0 mm.

How these changes affect value
Unfortunately, in many circumstances the sizing changes haven't reduced buyers' prices. This might be due to a lack of knowledge on the buyer's part or by misplacing trust in a supplier. Many buyers have been burned. But that doesn't change the fact that their recent purchases have a lower value. A strand of down-sized cultured freshwater pearls--both in the percentage ratio and size range--are as much as 20 percent lower in value.

On the opposite side, those buyers who choose the more expensive half-millimeter sizing have dramatically increased the value of their purchases. For example, a strand of pearls that measures 7.0-7.5 mm is composed of the largest 25 percent of material-size 6.5-7.5 mm pearls, increasing the value by as much as 50 percent. Taken a step farther, if a strand is 7.5-8.0 mm pearls, it's now composed of material purchased as 8.0-9.0 mm, downsized to 7.5-8.5 mm, of course. This dramatically increases the value over any full size 7.0-8.0 mm strand whether it's composed from real-size materials or downsized.

Conclusion
Every buyer, seller, or valuer must stay abreast of the changes in the cultured pearl industry so he or she can provide the best possible product or service to the customer. Considering the lack of information available in so many parts of the industry, that can be a challenging prospect, especially when secretive producers and suppliers benefit greatly from the confusion.

Cultured freshwater pearls are becoming increasingly popular with fine jewelry suppliers, designers and astute consumers. Aside from keshis, they are the only cultured pearls produced today that are close in composition to the natural pearls of the old days. While Chinese freshwater cultured pearls are by no means the only choice for consumers, they will undoubtedly soon become the first choice. The vast range of sizes, shapes, colors, qualities and prices provide unequalled consumer choice for an affordable gem.

Last edited:
Thank you Jeremy. Good article-- seems like it should be part of the basic pearl information on PG so new visitors to the Forum can can find it readily.

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for an informative article.

Some B&M stores told me that akoya is the best, then cultured, then FW. I was baffled and thought to myself, "they are all cultured" :confused:. When I looked at the tag "made in Japan", "made in China", I finally figured out they call Japanese akoya as akoya and akoya with Chinese origin as "cultured". Besides my obsession with Tahitian pearls, I think FW is exceptionally beautiful. Because they are 100% nacre but cost less than akoya, that makes that even better.

Hi Jeremy,

Great informative article!! I saved and copied it right away. Who is Grahame Brown? Sorry for my ignorance.

There is a thread where we discussed some of this stuff before, but how useful to have it all in one place--this sizing issue was one of the most frustrating for me when I started ordering pearls over the internet---------

Great article, Jeremy. Have you seen the picture that Nerida posted in the "Some Giant Mutant Bead Nucleated CFWP" thread? I am curious to know what you think.

Gail

I am glad the article is well-received. Grahame Brown was the editor of the journal of the Gemmological Association of Australia. I had corresponded with him quite a bit over the years. He was a great pearl expert and very passionate about pearls.

Great article, Jeremy. Have you seen the picture that Nerida posted in the "Some Giant Mutant Bead Nucleated CFWP" thread? I am curious to know what you think.

Nothing surprises me anymore with the CBSBs, although the triplet does not look beaded. I once saw Grace Pearl prepping their beaded baroque inventory for a show and saw every shape imaginable. They had such a large stock they were actually making pairs. The rounds are equally impressive but incredibly expensive.

I am glad the article is well-received. Grahame Brown was the editor of the journal of the Gemmological Association of Australia. I had corresponded with him quite a bit over the years. He was a great pearl expert and very passionate about pearls.

Nothing surprises me anymore with the CBSBs, although the triplet does not look beaded. .

Jeremy, are you referring to my mutant monsters (at the begging of that thread)? If so, is the multicolor unmounted one the one you think isn't beaded?

Sheri

Jeremy, are you referring to my mutant monsters (at the begging of that thread)? If so, is the multicolor unmounted one the one you think isn't beaded?

Sheri

Yes. The triplet might be (it has the colors), but looks more like a triple tissue-graft pearl.

But like I mentioned before, there are just so many shapes and sizes coming out of China now. It is impossible to keep up.

Really interesting. This ties in nicely with the oft-heard complaint about the shrinking size of Chinese strands discussed here at PG.
John

Jeremy, on a practical basis, how do you get around the shrinking strands syndrome? It seems to be worse from some factories than others. For some I am finding myself breaking up another strand from the batch to eke out for a necklace
I suppose if everyone said they would not buy strands under a set length the pearl factories would soon re-set the standard
In fact - how about that? If we all started refusing strands under a set length we have quite a bit of clout (in terms of sales and geography) combined...?

I suppose if everyone said they would not buy strands under a set length the pearl factories would soon re-set the standard
In fact - how about that? If we all started refusing strands under a set length we have quite a bit of clout (in terms of sales and geography) combined...?

I agree with Wendy - not all women have necks like Twiggy - so one has to buy 2 strands to get together one.

Very interesting article Jeremy, hope you can push this question about size as you are buying such huge volumes!

Always a good read! :)

A paragraph sounds particularly intriguing - that about change and limits:

" The cultured freshwater pearl industry, unlike the Tahitian, South Sea and akoya industries, operates in an environment with little to no constraint. [...]where producers are free to set their own rules. "

... thinking a bit of what kind of operations, where in the world make pearls outside China, 'costraints' gets quite interesting. What constraints might bind, say, Kamoka more then a typical Chinse pearl farm?

What constraints might bind, say, Kamoka more than a typical Chinese pearl farm?
Minimum nacre thickness for instance. It's not the best example as virtually all CFWP are not bead nucleated, but you get the idea; there is simply no regulations in China.

Okay then - what length do we think is reasonable?
And to be fair, we need to say a start date, to give them time to get their acts together...January 1, 2009?

Last edited:
Jeremy - thank you for the article. Concise, informative, and well-written!

Wendy - same problem. I am quite small, but for me a standard length "strand", when knotted and finished, thesedays is just the right length. I am CONSTANTLY using a second strand to make up longer lengths for a large number of my clients - and not just the "large" ladies.

I just tried on a couple of AA 11-12 blacks which I had made..both too short for me. I'll have to remake them with added pearls. grrrr

Checking the strands they are 39cm / 15 1/2.
I'd say that 45cm is about right
January 1, 2009

Back