Staying in The Loop

You can count me in Wendy and Jerin,
I'm totally fed up with the ever decreasing lengths of strands; and even more fed up with the seemingly dishonest sizing issue.
If I buy a strand of pearls, sizes 7mm. - 8mm., then I expect to get a strand of pearls where the smallest pearl is 7mm. and the largest pearl is 8mm.

O.K. Rant over.
Now just to praise Amrita if I may.
I measured the smallest and largest pearls on the strands purchased from her, and every one was actually slightly bigger than the sizes quoted on her site.

P.S. Jeremy, thanks for the article. Like everyone else, I've saved it for reference.

I got a hank in of AA lavender 7-8s and they measured 7.5 to 8.5mm so I can't complain at that.
If we don't do something soon about strand length two strands will come out as a necklace and a bracelet soon and that is getting silly.

Minimum nacre thickness for instance. It's ...there is simply no regulations in China.

On other circumstances (other threads, topics) those standards didn't sound like a bad thing. Funny stuff :cool:

Hi Wendy, Sueki and other members!

Just let us know what we as individuals are supposed to to and I will do so... if even only 1 pearl does not come up to the standard, 1 strand is just not long enough to suit most of us.

Well, I think we need to be reasonable and give plenty of warning - so I was thinking that if we say now that we expect strands to be x long by new year - or later - say June 1 next year to allow time for the message to filter through. Then after that we just don't buy under x long. The retailers will soon be shouting to their factories.
And emphasise we don't mind paying the right price for a proper length.
we just want one strand = one necklace

You can set specifications and requirements we do not accept undersized pearls or short strands. Once you make the processors aware that you will not accept non conforming product they will not try to play games. Remember you are the customer you just have to be aware of the game. We provide our customers with specifications and cannot fall below those specs. After initial protests that it is generally accepted practice and you state that it is unacceptable and return the product it does not happen again. There is to much competition to let such games take place 8mm is 8mm not 7.9

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true. But most buyers do not work with a single processor from material to finished product. They buy from shows or shop around Zhuji, Shanghai and Weitang. These buyers purchase at material sizes unless the processor has switched to half sizes (a lot of the big ones have). Buying from Hong Kong dealers alleviates this problem because most dealers based in Hong Kong deal in full or half sizes that are sized correctly. But the Hong Kong premium is huge.

There is one point that even working with your processor will not get around. That is the 75/25 rule when dealing with full mm sizes.

There is one point that even working with your processor will not get around. That is the 75/25 rule when dealing with full mm sizes.

What is the 75/25 rule? I assume you are saying that when buying full size 75% will be the smaller size.

Correct. Material sizes available from first-stage processors went from 25/75 to 50/50 and now 75/25 (percentage of pearls falling below the middle range). These are the processors on the production and collection level and they set the sizes every year. They are the same ones responsible for dropping the material MM sizes too. The 75/25 does not mean every necklace is going to be the same, of course. But the average across the industry that it creates is an overall smaller average size.

The processors hate this (second and third stage). The buyers hate this. But there is nothing they can do because even the medium-size processors who do own farms are very dependent upon the large producers and collectors in order to have any volume of high-grade production (the percentage is just so small).

We have been switching our inventory to half MM sizes. Soon, we will only be selling the upper half MM of each size. In the past we have been separating materials to reach exact sizes (in China, not here). But it has gotten more and more difficult, especially around the center of the strands due to the new 75/25 rule. By switching to .5 we don't have this problem any more.

there are noticeable differences, even from the same source in terms of diameter ratios.
But I think what we are all agreed on is that strand length has shrunk to an unacceptable shortness - so that now out of two strands we can only just get a decent necklace and a bracelet when only a few years ago it was one strand one necklace.
I happen to have some different strands here on my desk and the measurements are 15 inches, just under 16 inches, 15 1/2 for a strand of AA 11-12 white 15 for some big lavender ovals and 15 for some granulated/rosebuds. 15 with an 8mm ball clasp makes an uncomfortable choker on me and my neck is not huge!
I think 16 or even 17 should be the norm - thoughts P-Gers?

In my experience I do not find buying from Hong Kong carries a premium. I have dealt with both Hong Kong and Mainland China. Unlike Tahitian where it is worth processing myself FW is not. The cost of freshwater is so low that processing stringing becomes the most important component.

The Hong Kong dealers have cash to buy pearls from the farms and process the material in china themselves. There is no strategic advantage that the Chinese dealers have over their Hong Kong counterparts.

When it comes to low end goods there is no bottom on either side. HK dealers tend to specialize in specific areas such as high quality , keshi or dyed.

They do tend to work in higher volume and will charge more for what they consider retail.

I have never had a Chinese dealer beat a HK dealer on a volume order.

Let me give you an interesting story going back to the 80s when I was invited by the Chinese government to have excusive rights to CFWP for the US market. After banquets and much pomp and ceremony I was offered the rice pearl strands at the best government rate but on my return to HK the same material was cheaper. I asked why? My friend explained that they pay the same price as was offered to me but they change their money on the black market first so their real cost was much lower.

They have been doing this for a long time.

This thread started interesting and has come full circle back to confusing. I think I'll just go shopping and figure it out. The prices seem so good now that I think this becomes a bit of minutia after a while. Its all good info but I am sure each of us will have differing experiences at some point. Based on the volume and quality we seek.

But I still appreciate the article.

Last edited:
In my experience I do not find buying from Hong Kong carries a premium. I have dealt with both Hong Kong and Mainland China. Unlike Tahitian where it is worth processing myself FW is not. The cost of freshwater is so low that processing stringing becomes the most important component.

The Hong Kong dealers have cash to buy pearls from the farms and process the material in china themselves. There is no strategic advantage that the Chinese dealers have over their Hong Kong counterparts.

When it comes to low end goods there is no bottom on either side. HK dealers tend to specialize in specific areas such as high quality , keshi or dyed.

They do tend to work in higher volume and will charge more for what they consider retail.

I have never had a Chinese dealer beat a HK dealer on a volume order.

Let me give you an interesting story going back to the 80s when I was invited by the Chinese government to have exclusive rights to CFWP for the US market. After banquets and much pomp and ceremony I was offered the rice pearl strands at the best government rate but on my return to HK the same material was cheaper. I asked why? My friend explained that they pay the same price as was offered to me but they change their money on the black market first so their real cost was much lower.

They have been doing this for a long time.

Peter,
When was the last time you were in Zhuji to buy freshwater pearls? Have you ever gone in person and priced out different processors there?

The difference is 2-300%, sometimes more. In fact, many of the small and medium-size sellers in Zhuji also have offices in Hong Kong and keep separate pricing scales (Shanxiahu Pearl, for example). A typical negotiation clich? in Zhuji is "that's Hong Kong pricing!"

Most of the larger sellers in Zhuji keep their prices on par with Hong Kong. Grace will not even attempt to sell to Zhuji and refers all buyers to their Hong Kong offices, although they process their large orders (like Honora) at their Zhuji facility.

As for strategic advantage on pricing, China most certainly does have it. Hong Kong is expensive, very expensive. China is cheap. Some of the larger players (like Man Sang, for example) do buy and process their own materials. But they process them in Shenzhen and sell in Hong Kong. Their prices, even at 50% wholesale discount rate, are close to triple Zhuji market prices.

Yes, freshwater pearls are very inexpensive. But when dealing in higher-end freshwaters the cost can be substantial, making the stringing and clasp a small afterthought.

It is easier to shop for freshwater in Hong Kong. There is no doubt about that. The sellers there understand the market needs much better, and are much more willing to customize production for a customer. But the options and the prices are substantially better in Mainland China. I don't think anyone who has spent ample time in both could disagree.

Pearlescence,
Strand length is a problem. If you shop at the markets in China the strands will always be short, under-sized, and the quality of the pearls will go down as the string progresses to the ends. The only way to really get away from this is dealing with materials and buying by weight, not by strand.

Peter,
When was the last time you were in Zhuji to buy freshwater pearls? Have you ever gone in person and priced out different processors there?

Jeremy its been at least 3 years. You make me work too hard. I will go back and I will let you know my thoughts unless you want to come with me.

Jeremy if you are going to be offering a class in Chinese pearl buying I would like to sign up. Please send me the application at your earliest convenience. I am already packed. I can always use more education.

This has been a most informative thread. I totally agree about the decreasing pearl sizes (actual vs. stated) as well as the shrinking strand lengths, as I have witnessed this firsthand as well. But I have found that the more knowledgeable you are while talking to your suppliers, the more likely you are to be able to get the right size strand length and the right pearl sizes. Just adding my two cents worth......

Below is a link to a video that my husband took when I was on my last trip to Zhuji and was talking about pearl size ( sorry, the video is in Chinese - but I am definitely talking about pearl size and asking that I get the size as stated, and not smaller......). I was not going to put this on, but seeing all this hot debate about the same issue, had second thoughts and put it on just because it seemed so relevant to the topic.

Thanks for letting me share!:):eek:

http://www.harmonypearls.com/page/negotiating-in-china

I may not be able to understand what you are saying but I can follow the conversation - did you buy them? Even though they were small and short length?
wow - all the pearls stacked up all around as in the tracking shot - phew.

Cool, Amrita! Is that you? I liked your polite but no nonsense attitude. So what if it's market standard? It's Chinese market standard ... not international. This just frustrates buyers across the board!

Back