Staying in The Loop

Amrita,

very nice video and it clearly came through that the selling lady tried to hold her own while you equally clear let her know about size length and pearl size... Thanks.

Yes thanks for the video. But I have to admit after being in those types of negotiations overseas I could feel the jet lag creeping in. And because I don't speak the language who won? :)

I may not be able to understand what you are saying but I can follow the conversation - did you buy them? Even though they were small and short length?
wow - all the pearls stacked up all around as in the tracking shot - phew.

Hi Wendy! No, I did not buy the small and short length strands. I was able to convince these people that I need sizes and lengths exactly as I asked for, and they provided them for me....., some were even slightly bigger!:rolleyes::)

Cool, Amrita! Is that you? I liked your polite but no nonsense attitude. So what if it's market standard? It's Chinese market standard ... not international. This just frustrates buyers across the board!

Hi Raisondetre! Yes, that's me! Thanks for your comments.....I agree that it is not international market standard, and that is what I have been able to convince a few of the factories about....at least for their supplies to me. But it is a slow process, and will take time for the whole Chinese FW pearl industry to change their ways, especially when innocent buyers not familiar with this trend buy huge amounts of pearls at the "Chinese market standard".

Yes thanks for the video. But I have to admit after being in those types of negotiations overseas I could feel the jet lag creeping in. And because I don't speak the language who won? :)

:D Ah, Mikeyy, had you shown them your chandelier tricks, they might have fled leaving all their pearls behind for you! That would've been the best negotiation technique! :D Just kidding!;)

Amrita, I'll have to come to Tianjin soon and try some tricks. Should I bring my own chandelier.

I did not buy the small and short length strands. I was able to convince these people that I need sizes and lengths exactly as I asked for, and they provided them for me....., some were even slightly bigger!:rolleyes::)

I agree that it is not international market standard, and that is what I have been able to convince a few of the factories about....at least for their supplies to me.

Good for you. I wish I spoke Chinese. I liked the way you dealt with the girl in the video. You seemed firm and unmovable about what you wanted, but polite and respectful rather than argumentative. It must have worked.

Amrita,
It's nice to "meet" you. Although I did not understand, your firm but polite negotiation shined through. Thank you for sharing.

Amrita,
It's nice to "meet" you. Although I did not understand, your firm but polite negotiation shined through. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, Cathy! I just happened to have a video of a situation that was being discussed in Jeremy's wonderful article and it seemed so relevant to post a link here....although it is a bit embarrasing to make an "appearance" here in this way....:eek::)

Back