Newbie Anniversary necklace for wife help

Rymahoney

My 7th anniversary is approaching and I would like to replace pearls I bought for my wife when we were on a trip to the Bahamas back when prior to us being married just out of high school. No clue if they were Akoya or fresh. Don't even remember what I paid but She let her aunt borrow them for her wedding and during that time they were lost or stolen. Anyway I have been in contact with pearl paradise and another. Both have been helpful but am looking for a little help in making the decision. My budget is debatable as of right now I'm trying to decide between the highest grade freshwater feshadama/gem in a slightly larger size 7.0-8.0. Or 7.0-7.5 AA+ grade Akoya. I really want to get her AAA Akoya but I can't justify the extra cost as of right now so I'm curious what your thoughts are. I have seen pictures on websites of the differences. I'm sure there touched up would love to see the difference in someone or untouched photos. I am hoping to get some pictures from the company's of the two matches up next to each other of pearls I would receive. Any help would be great. I didn't realize the process this was😱

Last edited:
I have bought pearls from both vendors and been extremely happy with the purchase. I am by no means an expert on this, but here is my opinion..I would rather have gem grade (aka freshadama at Pearl Paradise) freshwater pearls over AA+ Akoya and here's why..

1)like you mentioned, you can get them in a little bit larger size than the akoyas which is beneficial. I'm not sure how many threads you have read on this forum, but as we ladies age we tend to reach less often for smaller pearls and more often for the larger ones. Even a .5 mm larger size can make a difference! I'm not sure how old your wife is, but even at the ripe old age of 23 I find myself wishing I had saved up and bought larger pearls for my first purchase years ago.
2) as you probably already know, top quality akoya pearls have a crisper luster than top quality freshwaters, but if you are considering AA+ quality vs freshadama/gem quality pearls the gem quality freshwater pearls may have pretty similar luster quality (someone correct that if I'm wrong) and the freshwaters would be larger and have the extra quality of not being bead nucleated.

Also, I can't remember who posted it but there is a picture someone posted of AAA akoyas versus gem grade freshwaters that was untouched. I'll try to find that thread and post it here. If not, I'm sure the poster with that picture will show up here eventually and help you out :)

Like I said though..that's just my opinion. And good for you for buying your wife pearls! She is a lucky lady!

Last edited:
Honestly, I would go ahead and get her the gem grade freshwaters, and get matching studs at the same time if you can-- it's easier to match them now than later.

It's hard to beat the value of the gem freshwaters (e.g. Freshadama). They can be worn day in and day out if she is so inclined; the luster is excellent (although not quite as sharp as good akoyas), they are nearly round, and they are more affordable than akoyas.

My first pearl strand was a 7.0-8.0mm Freshadama, 8 years ago, but now they are sold in a tighter range--7.5-8.0 mm-- which means a higher percent of the pearls in the strand are going to be larger. You may think that little bit doesn't matter, but it does. (An 8mm round pearl is 49% larger than a 7mm pearl by volume.) I haven't checked to see if any of the vendors are still using the 7.0-8.0 range, but if so, that would not be my preference. Go larger if you can.

Your wife may want larger pearls later (I did), and that is okay; she is young and you both have years ahead of you. I would rather have the higher luster and roundness of the Freshadama (gem) grade than less lustrous and less nearly round pearls that are larger. AAA and AA+ will be a bit less round and a bit less lustrous.

But what is the most important thing in a pearl? Surely luster. A very lustrous pearl actually looks larger than a less lustrous pearl. So don't compromise on luster.

Does PP still have any metallic luster white freshwater pearls? These are somewhat off round but amazingly lustrous. I prefer these most over all the other freshwaters, even though they are less round than Freshadamas.
Edit: I checked and PP has 7.0-8.0mm metallic white strands listed, including AAA strands. These will be more lustrous but less round than the Freshadama strands.

Last edited:
Another fan of gem grade CFWPs for their quality and affordability.

DK :)

I'm concerned about the luster not being enough on the freshadama. However I can probably afford to get her the bracelet also. I have seen pictures on here of the metallic and agree it was very nice but they do not have large sizes. My concerns with the Akoya is basically I can only afford AA+ and they will have flaws. I hope to get some pictures of freshadama around someone's neck and possibly have both company's send me pics of the gem grade fresh and the AA+ I would receive so I can compare. Thoughts? Keep opinions coming.

Rymahoney, your first posts must be moderated. They should show up now. :)

I also agree with the other posts; I believe freshwater pearls offer better value over akoyas, and if possible get matching earrings. CFWPs have really come a long way in recent years. Your wife is a lucky girl!!

Here is my Freshadama strand around my neck; these as stated earlier were 7-8mm:

Lucky wife! What a wonderful anniversary present. I'm sure she'll love whatever you get for her.

I'm a huge akoya fan myself, not sure if this link will work but these are mine and I love them...
PP - 17" plus clasp about 18"? 6.5-7 AAA rose overtone. I seem to remember at the time I could not afford larger pearls in this quality but I'm happy with the size/length and wear them with everything.

My thoughts (probably more of them than you wanted, ha): I'd get freshwater over akoya. Freshies have come up in quality hugely in recent years. They're more budget friendly and more sturdy, with nacre all the way through rather than a nacre-coated bead like akoyas are.

I'd go for more showiness (larger pearls or more of them) over the very top quality, in the same way I would with a diamond. Dollar for dollar, I don't think the small difference in quality, for example between PP's freshadama and their still very nice AAA grade, is nearly as noticeable as the difference in size. I've heard over and over about women starting out with the standard 16-18 inch 7-8 mm and soon leaving them in the jewelry box because they just seemed a little light on wow factor (although that's not everyone, of course).

Personally, I'd pick one of these instead. I have grown kids and I'd still be wearing any of them. PP has a 10% discount this month so the price would be a little less than what's listed below:

- 8.5-9.0 mm AAA - This would be a definitely noticed size difference over 7.5-8.0 mm.

- 6.5-7.0 mm rope AAA-

OR AA+ quality in the rope- (I have several ropes and do not find the slight off-roundness of the lower grade noticeable in a rope of smaller pearls. And smaller pearls seem to me to look more lustrous anyway, all other things being equal. I guess it's because there's more "arc" to them)- This is a lot of pearl, impressive, and I also think long strands are more hip, while still being classic.

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...h-75-80-mm-aa-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace

-35 inch 7.5-8.0mm AAA

Opera length is very nice too. It can be worn doubled but is also short enough to wear long, and perhaps would get more use than the 54 inch, especially if she's small or doesn't wear much jewelry. Personally, I'd avoid the "matinee length," though (the lengths between the standard 16- 18 inch and the long 35 inch and above strands). I dunno, they just seem to me kind of awkward lengths or something, lol.

- 7.5-8.0 mm double strand AAA - a double strand. Perhaps a little more formal/traditional and less versatile than opera to rope length, but neater, doesn't migrate throughout the day.

I'd skip the bracelet and spend on larger or more pearls on the strand, first, and stud earrings, second. The usual thing is strand and earrings. A matching bracelet as well often seems a little too matchy-matchy anyway (which is out of style these days).

If it came down to it in your budget, I'd also forego earrings in favor of a more substantial strand. It is easier to match the earrings to the strand if you get them at the same time. But, if you have a budget constraint, you can always get earrings for a later occasion, perhaps showier ones than you could get at the same time. You could send the strand to a trusted vendor later on for matching. To me, the earrings and strand aren't worn close enough for small differences to usually be noticeable anyway. And then, with matchy-matchy being much less in style than it used to be, a younger lady such as your wife might rather wear different earrings anyway aside from formal occasions, who knows. If the budget allows, I'd get the earrings too but just saying, if it was me and it came down to it, I'd rather have the showier strand without the earrings.

Personally, I think the earrings look better (standing out a bit) in a larger mm size than the strand and at least about 8.5 mm. I loved my my 7-8 mm pearl studs when I first got them a few years ago but now they're what I wear when I don't have makeup on and don't want to be noticed (and they're hanadama akoyas).

Also, unless you know of her preference, I'd get the clasp in whatever metal color (white or yellow gold) matches her wedding rings.

You can ask them to email you photos and help you choose between a few, if you like. If it turns out she prefers something other than what you pick out or you have second thoughts upon seeing your choice in person. They might ask if you want rose, silver, or cream overtones. The rose/silver combination overtones seem very popular. I believe cream overtones are supposed to flatter darker skin, rose flatters fair skin. Silver overtones look extra bright white (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the overtones, please). With length, I believe 18 inch is the most popular, over 16 inch.

Of course you know your wife, budget, and preferences best so as always, jmho!

Finally, we love photos, if you get a chance to show us what you finally decide on... :) Good luck and happy anniversary!

Last edited:
Thank you for the great detailed response. I will consider a double strand. I am slightly concerned about not getting gem grade. She will not wear these everyday. She's a nurse so she doesn't dress up for work. This will just be weekend, dinner occasions and vacations. As far as her skin tone she tans easily with a little Native American in her genes. I really hope to get the company's to send pics of exact stands and then I will discuss with them getting a set or not. Keep thoughts coming guys I learn more with every response.
Ryan

Last edited:
Such a lovely idea...and very smart of you to do some research ! It's a very confusing process when you get into it as I'm sure you've discovered. The thing to remember is that whatever you choose..it's going to be beautiful.

Personally I would go for at least 8mm .. and the highest luster Freshwater pearls that are almost round. (off round) The fact that they are slightly off round is generally not that noticeable as your brain seems to round them out when you look at them.

Consider the colour that would suit her...
Think about the length - if she is very tiny then 16 might be good...most people are probably 18' ...
And maybe matching pearl studs instead of the bracelet... saves money that can be spent on the necklace.

Ask for the photos of the strands you are interested in with close ups in natural light.

Such a lovely idea...and very smart of you to do some research ! It's a very confusing process when you get into it as I'm sure you've discovered. The thing to remember is that whatever you choose..it's going to be beautiful.

Personally I would go for at least 8mm .. and the highest luster Freshwater pearls that are almost round. (off round) The fact that they are slightly off round is generally not that noticeable as your brain seems to round them out when you look at them.

Consider the colour that would suit her...
Think about the length - if she is very tiny then 16 might be good...most people are probably 18' ...
And maybe matching pearl studs instead of the bracelet... saves money that can be spent on the necklace.

Ask for the photos of the strands you are interested in with close ups in natural light.

Over the 7.5-8.0 gem grades are out of my budget I'm afraid. There is a significant price jump.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary - and what a wonderful gift idea! You won't go wrong, no matter what.

If you are able to narrow it down to a few strand choices, try asking for some side-by-side close ups. Then you'll get a good feel for the relative differences between lustre, color, and size.

As for the lengths, does she already have some necklaces of various lengths that you could stealthy measure? I've done that in the past to help visualize the difference between 16 and 18in.

If you have any really good independent (non-chain) jewelers in your area, you might want to check out what they have as well. I have actually seen high quality freshwater strands for prices comparable to online pricing (but it is unusual.) You never know, you might find some on sale.

It's the weekend; they should be available to help you with photos on Monday.

Yup!! I have emails into them. I will post pics when I get them. (Is that okay to do)

Welcome Rymahoney - I wanted to show you the Pearl Paradise freshadama set I selected for my son's bride last fall. I discussed the various pearl options with her, but the better price, larger size, beautiful luster and overtones of freshwater pearls versus akoya were appealing. I also explained that she could wear these pearls as much as she wished, and being solid nacre, that they would last a lifetime. She actually asked for the 8-8.5mm size (I talked her up from 7.5-8mm), but Hisano liked the overtones on the 8.5-9mm size better. So, I was able to convince her the larger size was the way to go.

Back