Questions Before Purchasing a Mikimoto Necklace

MissPanda

Hello everyone! I've been doing some research and I've finally made up my mind to purchase a beautiful Mikimoto necklace directly from their official store. I'm about 70% sure about this decision. Previously, I was checking out Mikimoto pieces on Ebay, Etsy, and Poshmark, but your informative posts have made me wary of potential counterfeit products. These resale pearls are priced around $3k to $4k, so I'm willing to pay a little extra to ensure the authenticity of the necklace by purchasing it directly from Mikimoto. However, before I make my purchase, I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

Firstly, I would like to know if Mikimoto ever has any sales or promotional events where I might be able to get a better deal on their exquisite jewelry?

Secondly, I'm torn between choosing a white gold clasp or a yellow gold clasp for my necklace. I'm leaning towards white gold, but I've never owned any white gold jewelry before. Could you please advise me on how to care for white gold compared to yellow gold? Is white gold more prone to damage or is it relatively sturdy?

Lastly, I'm on a bit of a budget and I can only afford the 18" Akoya Cultured Pearl Strand Necklace Grade A. However, I'm concerned about the size of the pearls, which are 7mm to 7.5mm. Would these pearls be too small to make a statement? I want to make sure I get the right size for my taste and style.

I must confess, I already have a beautiful pearl paradise hanadama in my collection. However, there has always been a dream nestled in my heart ever since I was a young girl - to own a genuine Mikimoto pearl necklace. It might sound silly, but as a Disney World fan, I vividly recall admiring the stunning Mikimoto pearls displayed at Epcot. I am longing to fulfill that childhood dream. Additionally, pearls have become an integral part of my daily style!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate your expertise and assistance. Looking forward to your response!

I think that a grade A Mikimoto would be of lower quality-- or at least, not higher quality-- than a Pearl Paradise Hanadama. I'm sure it would be beautiful, but I can't imagine a Miki grade A -- the lowest grade on their website-- would have higher luster than a Hanadama. Would you still want the necklace if that proved to be the case?
Is there any way you can visit a Mikimoto store to see it in person, bringing along your PP Hanadama so you can compare, before buying?

Be aware that their return policy is 14 days if you are ordering from the website. I had read that no refunds are given if buying from a brick and mortar Mikimoto store (store credit only) but that may no longer be true; know before you buy. Maybe other stores selling Mikimoto have different refund policies.

Looking on the website, I see that Mikimoto has limited stock! Akoyas necklaces are in short supply. Demand has been very high in Asia-- Chinese buyers are snapping up pearls-- at a time when supply is low, because of years of mortality of the shells due to a virus. The mortality is still ongoing, so supply will be reduced for at least 2 more years.
I can't see why they would run a sale when demand is high and supply is low.

The only issue I can think of with white gold is that if it is plated with rhodium (which is commonly done with white gold), over time the rhodium may wear off, and the white gold would appear less white. This would not happen with yellow gold. I suppose if worse came to worst you could replace the clasp. But it seems to me it would require a great deal of wear before that would happen. I think you should get the color metal you really want. (Besides, maybe they don't plate their white gold clasps with rhodium. Ask them!)

The hardest question to answer is the one about size and style. This is so personal, so individual. Maybe you can figure this out by considering how you feel about the size of your Hanadama necklace. What size is that, and does it make the kind of statement, size-wise, that you wish?

Speaking only for myself, I don't think of 7.0-7.5mm as a "statement" size. It is a classic size, certainly. For me personally, a "statement" size for akoyas would be 9mm+. But I'm a senior. I have Tahitians and SSP that are larger than that, and I like larger pearls.
Of course that size would be exorbitantly expensive in Mikimoto akoyas.

I feel like we are missing talking about something more important IMO than brand, size and price-- and that is luster. It's luster that makes akoyas look amazing. Luster, more than size. I had a friend, years ago, who was given a gem quality 4mm pearl necklace by her fiancé for her wedding.
These were eye-poppingly amazing. They drew attention to them despite their size. I have never seen akoya pearls of that quality anywhere since.
Size was irrelevant, with that luster. They were exquisite, and yes they made a statement.

Here is a thought: What about a higher grade Miki pendant, instead? Or higher grade studs? For better luster. What could you get with the same budget? Perhaps something that would make a statement, for you? And it would still be the Mikimoto brand, since that is meaningful to you.
Looking online I see you could get AAA studs in 8mm for less than a 7.0-7.5mm grade A necklace -- and the luster would be to die for.

Back