Madama natural blue Akoya

whicker

I want to learn more about Madama natural blue Akoya.
At Ruckus, I saw the Vietnamese baroques and bought a strand of small silver blues that twinkled like little stars. They are still at PP, while the rest of the design is in process.
I want to buy another strand, this time, brilliant bright blue- cheerful like the October sky, without gray tones. Jeremy is looking for Madama for me. Please tell me about yours, and a photo that describes the color. I'm dark blonde, brown eyes, golden skin tones. Thanks!

I was at the Ruckus -- did you see my Madama strand (I'm not sure who "Whicker" is in real life)? From my understanding, the larger the mm the less saturated the blue and many "blues" are more silver than blue.

My madama strand is 8 to 8.5mm with earrings designed by Hisano.

Here are some pictures:

Mine is strand on left:

madama strands - mine is 8-8.5 mm and on the left from Pearl Paradise
Madama set with earrings designed by Hisano
Pearl Paradise madama close-up
Pearl Paradise madama earring designed by Hisano
PP madama strand worn
PearlParadise madama earrings and strand set worn

Color comparisons of triple goldenakoya, madama, hanadama:

Color comparisons of triple golden akoya, madama, hanadama

Have fun and keep us posted!!!

wearing pearl paradise madama strand with matching earrings designed by Hisano

my pearl paradise blue akoya madama strand

Thanks, BAS! I was just admiring your new golden akoya triple strand. :D

The design of those earrings is growing on me - gorgeous. I love blue akoyas! :)

Whicker, I don't think akoyas comes in bright blue. The shades you see here on the forum, including BAS's great shots, pretty much covers it.

- Karin

Some are bluer than others, but if you look at skin tone in the photos, you'll see that lighting affects the way these pearls look (just as it does for other pearls). Certainly I find that to be true with my baroque silver blue akoyas.

And I don't just mean daylight vs. tungsten light vs. fluorescent light. Daylight also varies throughout the day, being bluer at mid-day and more more orange in the late afternoon/ near sunset. Not to mention direct vs. diffuse sunlight -- diffuse light brings colors out better than bright light does.

What I'm saying is that even the bluer ones won't always look equally blue.

Whicker,

The deeper shades of blue akoya should look terrific with your coloring! Because the pearls are so reflective, especially in Madama quality, like little mirrors, in addition to all the other reasons given above, the color you see in a necklace will not be consistent.

I don't have any Madamas, but do have strands of smaller baroque blues. I'd consider them all shades of silver-blue, rather than bright blue. I'm certain Jeremy and Hisano will find the perfect strand for you!

Whicker, I concur with everyone else here :) My Vietnamese akoyas are blue silver/silver blue. None are Madama; one is rounds, one little adorable baby baroques, one smaller rounds with other colors mixed in. All appear more silver in certain lights, much more blue in other lighting. I've also found the colors of clothing I'm wearing to be a big influence on how those pearls present ... I've bought more light blue clothing in the past few months than my entire life LOL. One sweater, a mixed lighter blue florals pattern, just brings out screaming blues in those necklaces. I would say none are "October sky blue", but they are the pearls more people comment on than any others I wear ... great luck with your search :) Forewarned ... those blues are addictive ...

Thank you for all the thoughtful advice. This necklace is something that my husband wanted to commission before he died last year. He loved cheerful blue, so this is a memorial to his love.
For those of you at Ruckus, I'm the one with the large fireball set with the the tails to the outside necklace. (I'll post a glamor shot of its new design when I figure how to do it)
Jeremy is now searching for baroque as he thinks the colors will show better in them. As I have gotten more and more in love with pearls, I have been changing what I wear to let them take center stage. I'm an artist at heart, so all the color shifts are like having an impressionist painting to enjoy every day. I love vibrant and alive colors, orient and dancing shifts as the light changes. Pattye knows my coloring well, so I'm encouraged.

Whicker -- thanks for the PM and now I know who you are! I agree -- blue will look gorgeous on you.

As for color, my madama look anywhere from silver to blue depending on lighting and clothing. Sometimes the look silver and then I catch a glimpse of a picture or a mirror reflection and they are blue.

baby nurse and Icy Jade have absolutely drop-dead gorgeous blue baroque triples which I would say are bluer than my madama. I think baroques is a terrific way to go if you want as saturated blue as you can get.

Ladies, would you post pictures/glamour shots of your blue baroques?

Mine didn't come from PP-- I bought the pearls loose and strung them. Here's the current photo in my album which I took after restringing them with the sky blue Pattye's Serafil thread. The outdoor light was cool toned as you can see from my skin; in warmer light the pearls are more silvery.

attachment.php

Here's an ear shot of baroque silver blue akoya stud earrings; you can see some orient.
This is one reason I like baroques so much.

Ooh, how did that photo show up so huge? LOL Monster size earlobe.
I'm going to see if I can make it smaller.
There, that's somewhat better.

ear shot of baroque silver blue akoya stud earrings; you can see some orient

Last edited:
Wicker I think the blue Akoyas will look really good with your coloring.

This is the fireball design that Hisano created after the Ruckus. Added the spacing metallic pearls and shorted the strand from the original length. I have the extra fireballs and an extender piece as well, so I can modify it to suit the occasion. It is easier to wear now, since it is lighter. (I hope the photo appears- This is my first attempt.:eek:)

hisano pearl paradise re-design fireball necklace glamor shot

Thanks, Newberry! I love your artist eye and enjoyed actually touching your beautiful rainbow of pearls. I'm grateful for the sublime opportunity!

Thank you for sharing their real life colors. I love the way the orient and colors shift. I wish my fingers worked well enough to string my own pearls. I love being able to do things myself and change them around.

Have any of you played with interesting clasps that might work with the project? Ideally, something beautiful in its own right. even better if it might be placed in front, or for an enhancer, or other spot. BAS's clasp on her golden akoyas is elegant, for example.

Hi Whicker ... I remember you and your fireballs very well :)

Photos are being shy and not always showing up today. Let me know if I missed approving any pending pictures. ;)

Back