Keshi love at first sight

Lulu

I wanted to highlight the beautiful work that one of our local independent jewelers does with pearls. Daniel Spirer in Cambridge, Massachusetts is almost as obsessed with pearls as I am and he always has a range of amazing pearl pieces that I never see in a typical B&M jeweler. A few months ago he had an amazing strand of glossy, dark peacock Tahitian keshi that he assured me was "cheap for what it is." I did the math and a few comparisons in my head, and he was absolutely right. But, when you're justifying to yourself that a strand of Tahitian keshi that are each almost as big and plump as a knuckle on a pinkie finger is "cheap for what it is", it is time to run, not walk, out of the store...

I had to leave that strand behind, but a few months later it was my birthday and I got a freshwater keshi pendant as a consolation prize. The light this weekend is abysmal and I have not been able to successfully capture the amazing oil slick on this pearl -- rainbow, but predominantly green on a lavender body. It's a little bit larger than a quarter in size, and set with a Montana sapphire and emerald in a 22K bezel with 18K embellishments.

Library - 7067.jpg

The other special piece that I worked on over the Christmas weekend was this one... It nearly drove me to distraction with all of the tiny little pieces. The necklace consists of 2 strands of keshis, about 20 inches in length and is super-shiny with bright spots of color. As soon as I was done, my husband's reaction was: "Oh, that's pretty! Amazing for oyster boogers..."

Library - 7077.jpg

I'm really looking forward to wearing it in the summer with a little bit of a tan.... It's just light and delicate enough to be casual, but special enough to be luxe.

gem rose quartz

So, here are two questions for you:

1) I'm thinking of getting a pearl enhancer to wear on the necklace. I think it would be fun to wear something with a little bit of "oomph". Any suggestions as to what color or overtones I should consider? Or suggestions as to what kind of enhancer finding?

2) For fun: what kind of keshis are these? For size reference here's a photo with the first coin I dug out of the laundry this morning....

Library - 7082.jpg

That pendant is a consolation prize...???? I think I want to be sad and disappointed too! Beautiful work! Does he have a website?

- Karin

Both of you, Lulu and Daniel, have done great design work! As far as the tiny keshi go, I'm leaning toward saltwater keshi, because of the color in the photo being more on the silvery side.

You will have lots of options for an enhancer. Bails can be a simple hook or a hinged snap bail with a safety. Trying pieces together in person is the only way I can see what I like for color combos. Yes, stringing those little "boogers" is a labor of love for sure, done that myself!! Love your husband's humor!

Ok, I'll admit, the pendant wasn't so much of a "consolation prize" as a straight-up prize. The consolation part was that I got it in October for a July birthday :p

I'm always happy to put in a plug for Daniel Spirer's work, and his website has a gallery of some of his work:
http://spirerjewelers.com/

He also writes a blog that's pretty interesting about the process of jewelry making and the materials he likes to work with:
http://www.spirerjewelers.blogspot.com/

Pattye -- You are right that the little tiny white ones are akoya keshi -- and the others?

I'm going to have to find my way to a place that carries a larger range of unset pearls. I'm supposed to be in the LA area for a wedding this summer. Fingers crossed that I will be able to find time to stop off and make my first in-person visit of PP!

Such a unique pendant! The iridescence is dreamy.

I hadn't head of Daniel Spirer-- cool stuff on his website!

Thanks for referring us to another artistic designer who uses pearls in his one of a kind creations. It is always a special delight if the artist joins us in the forum, too. I hope you (or he) will post some pix of pearls and pearl pieces from time to time.

Yes, Daniel Spirer does very cool stuff with pearls and other gemstones. This was the first piece I've ever gotten from him, although I used to walk by his shop every day going to and from grad school classes (and press my nose up against the window to gawk at the beautiful and delicate items he designs).

And... Yes! they are Sea of Cortez keshi. In a crazy fit of 2 a.m. impulse buying I snagged a mini strand from Care Ehret. I was amazed at the colors -- some look denim blue or even red/burgundy!

Hi Pattye - Now that you mention it, I think I know the picture of the bracelet you're thinking of. I haven't seen that bracelet in person in his shop, though it seems like it would make a good set together! Unfortunately, by the time the pictures make it onto his website, I think most of the times the pieces are already sold since so many of his pieces are one-offs. That said, I think he's generally happy to take custom orders. I will admit to collecting pictures of my favorite of his pieces for inspiration for an eventual commission... It's also nice to know that what you're seeing is truly one-of-a-kind.

Back