image.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 32
Well it is a genuine Mikimoto clasp, this style of clasp dates to the late 1940's through 1950's period.

In my experience Mikimotos of that era were usually off-white to cream, with typical slightly green Akoya overtones, and always pretty close to round.

I agree, these one do not look "right" for Mikimotos, and definitely wrong for that era of clasp.

There's this:

"THE PEARLS ARE ROUND TO SLIGHT OFF ROUND.”

Does Mikimoto sell off round pearls?

Also this:

"THEY COME IN A NEW PRESENTATION BOX, MARKED MIKIMOTO-- NOT ORIGINAL."

Also note the big blob of glue 3rd pearl from the end, on the left of the clasp in the first photo. Sloppy.

Freshwater pearls with a Mikimoto clasp? In that case it's not cheap...

- Karin

They look all wrong to me. I checked the site and the completed listings and found more things I find suspicious. Some of them finished because of errors ?
There is also a pair of Mikimoto synthetic Alexandrite earrings ??? I am not up with Mikimoto but do they sell other gems. Would they sell synthetic?

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

What about these?

What about these?

I purchased them on ebay and am not convinced and am not an expert! You folks are, so what do you think?
IMG_0113.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0109.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Lastdanceforus,

Welcome, and thank you for the excellent photos. Looks like the authentic Miki clasp to me. (That was the brand we carried when I worked in fine jewelry in the early to mid 90's.)

Was there any documentation, box or such with the strand? Do you know what grade the pearls are supposed to be? The gimp (French wire) appears tarnished, which is a sign that the pearls haven't been restrung recently; the pearls are very round, with a few surface blemishes typical of Akoya pearls, and my feeling is that the pearls are likely to be original to the necklace.

Just my opinion.

Hi lastdanceforus

What are your concerns about the necklace?

It looks good to me. I've handled and owned lots of vintage Mikimoto items. The clasp is genuine and the pearls look to be typical Mikimoto quality.

I would say you have a very nice vintage Mikimoto necklace, maybe circa 1980.
I date them to this period by the fact that the pearls appear to pre-date the current fashion for very white pearls achieved by bleaching and polishing.

Lastdanceforus,

Welcome, and thank you for the excellent photos. Looks like the authentic Miki clasp to me. (That was the brand we carried when I worked in fine jewelry in the early to mid 90's.)

Was there any documentation, box or such with the strand? Do you know what grade the pearls are supposed to be? The gimp (French wire) appears tarnished, which is a sign that the pearls haven't been restrung recently; the pearls are very round, with a few surface blemishes typical of Akoya pearls, and my feeling is that the pearls are likely to be original to the necklace.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for your help. No documentation the lady got them through an estate sale. I just was not sure and have recently fallen in love with pearls.

Hi. I'm a big an of Mikimoto pearls and own several strands and earrings. I would recomment for peace of mind to send them to Mikimoto for an appraisal. It costs $50.00, not bad to have peace of mind. Also, if you are interested in the current style, the latest Mikimoto strands have a "M" charm. It is placed 3 pearls in to the clasp. I would suggest you get that added as it will increase the value of your Mikimoto strand if you wish to re-sale. Plus, it will look really cool. All my strands and bracelets have the "M" charm. Love it. The price of the "M" charm is about $110.00. You can also change the clasp to white gold if you wish (price for a new clasp is about $330.00). The downside is Mikimoto will keep your existing clasp to prevent fraudulent use.

Hands down... get a Mikimoto appraisal. You will love the fact you have authentic Mikimoto pearls.

Hi Willeyi,

I haven't heard about being able to send a strand to Mikimoto for appraisal. Sounds like a evry useful thing for many. But I'm curious about how they can tell if the pearls were originally through Mikimoto.

- Karin

Hi. When I sent in a strand of pearls to be restrung, I called Mikimoto and asked what I needed to send in to verify authenticity (they will not repair or restring pearls if they are not Mikis). The repair service said to just send it the pearls and they will know if they are authentic. They did not need my receipt, appraisal, or certificate. It was that easy. I expect Miki knows their vintage pearls, both the authentic clasps and also the quality their pearls, in case either have been swapped out for fraud.

Speaking of fraud... Miki also said if I decided to change the color of my clasp from YG to WG, they would keep my original clasp and not return it to me. It seems there is a big gray market for Miki clasps to be used on non-Miki pearls.

I have found Miki customer service to be great and always use them for restringing and other repairs.

I have to admit I also don't see how they can identify their own pearls -- high quality pearls are high quality pearls.

Of course they could identify their clasp, but it seems to me that if someone returned Mikis that had been restrung with a generic clasp (and did not return the original clasp as well), Mikimoto would not be able or willing to aver that the pearls were theirs.

PD,

I agree with you~no way to actually identify the pearls as Miki's, the proper clasp must be there with the appropriate quality pearls. The company would be able to evaluate if the matching, size range on the strand, drill hole size, all those characteristics were consistent with Miki's. And if the strand hadn't been restrung~the gimp, knotting style and silk used would lend credence.

Back