Great-Gramma's Mikimoto Pearls

LadyBratFace

Hello,

I just became the caretaker of my great grandmother's Mikimoto pearls. They have been 'missing' since 1980-something and kept in questionable conditions.

1. They feel real enough but it doesn't mean they are Mikimoto pearls.

2. Here are the pictures. I haven't done anything with them but you can see how badly they are in need of a re-stringing (I don't think they have EVER been re-strung since my great grandmother passed in 1975 and I'd bet even before then they were not taken care of much). I always thought they were lost because my family speaks of 'Grandmother's pearls', but no one ever brought them out to show them.
20161226_150005.jpg

3. I have no idea when my great grandmother got them or where. She was living in Hawaii during Pearl Harbor and her parents were Japanese born. I don't know if this was a necklace passed down or something she got in the 40's-60's. The necklace has been a family 'tale' for as long as I can remember and they were supposedly 'lost'. Until tah'dah, I'm given them this weekend.

4. It seems strange that they say Miki <M> Moto and it's not really a shell around the M and there's no mark about metal quality. It made me think they were not the real deal. Here is a picture. I have no idea how old they are, they could be pre 1940's or it could be just a strange lark. :)
20161226_141420.jpg

5. 18 Inches in the sad condition they are right now. I think they will tighten up to 16. (?) Lots of play in the silk. 102 graduated pearls.

Thank you for the help! I'm going to New York in January and thinking I might take them to Mikimoto to be evaluated but they seem shamefully dirty and I'd hate for them to be a sham. (How embarrassing)

Congratulations for inheriting the strand that was thought to be lost! Regardless of whether or not it is Mikimoto, I am sure it is more of a sentimental item to you. That said, it could be real Mikis. I am trying to find some info on Miki clasps, but there is very little info on them. Mikimoto is actually two kanji characters, and the first is Miki and the second is Moto, so it would be perfectly logical to break them up with the M in the center of the name. Search vintage Mikimoto sterling and see if you can find other necklaces with clasps like yours. You may be able to find auctions with purchase dates or original boxes as well as history to give you a better idea of when your pearls were made, etc...

I've never seen that marking on a Mikimoto clasp, either, but I'm not an expert on it.

Someone else on this forum contacted Mikimoto directly to have their strand and clasp checked out. I recommend that you do that, too.

The worst case scenario is that they are not Mikis, but you have a nice strand of vintage pearls. Best case scenarios, you have the real thing, and Mikimoto cleans them up and restrings them for you.

I am actually assembly images of vintage clasps labeled or described as being Mikimoto. There are Hallmark experts in my Alumni Assoc I want to eventually speak with and see if there is a way to validate said hallmarks as Mikimoto. Can you do a close up of the front of the clasp as well?

I would love a thread that captures these vintage clasps. Eventually it could be good reference point for others. Thoughts anyone?

I am actually assembly images of vintage clasps labeled or described as being Mikimoto. There are Hallmark experts in my Alumni Assoc I want to eventually speak with and see if there is a way to validate said hallmarks as Mikimoto. Can you do a close up of the front of the clasp as well?

I would love a thread that captures these vintage clasps. Eventually it could be good reference point for others. Thoughts anyone?

I think this is a great idea. If others could contribute 'fake' marks too. I'm not sure how often this happens but seems like a shady maker could fudge a mark easily.

Thanks so much!

Maia, thank you for sharing this interesting pearl necklace and its story. There is nothing unusual about the necklace or clasp that indicates to me that they aren't authentic, although I haven't seen that clasp before.

I feel Mikimoto Company has purposely withheld publishing a comprehensive history and photos of their clasps. To do so would make replication much easier. They seem to prefer to identify Miki pieces themselves, although I certainly understand, BPDDC, you are doing a super useful service in collecting information and photos.

Please let us know what else you find out! I'm glad you will have these restrung before wearing, Maia. That leaf design is lovely!

Please let us know what else you find out! I'm glad you will have these restrung before wearing, Maia. That leaf design is lovely!

Ha ha! No way I'm risking wearing it until I know the clasp and string/knots are secure. :) They are priceless in my mind and it has nothing to do with the dollars, this has been a family legend for a long time and I'm just so happy they are not busted/dried from being locked away in very questionable conditions.

I am going to take it to NYC feeling more confident now. I hope that they will be able to tell me more about them too! This has been a great learning experience and I may just need a pair of earrings to go with the necklace. ;) Has anyone ever done this with their pearls? Do you worry they will be 'safe'? Am I being silly being concerned?

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm actually reassured knowing how they keep the marks protected. I had this impression that it would be easy for clasps to be recreated/faked like knock-off purses.

I'll send an update when I have it looked over in the middle of January! :D
-GM-

Update about the string of pearls. I went to Mikimoto yesterday (which is right across from Trump Tower so /that/ was interesting). The pearls (or at least the clasp) is genuine. Although the gentleman who helped me couldn't give any information, he said the silver clasp indicated it was from Japan. There was no way for him to tell me how old the clasp is.

I was disappointed at how little information they can provide me. It sounds like even Mikimoto doesn't have a record of their stamps/dates. How sad that such a reputable establishment doesn't keep better records. I hope when the gemologist has a look over them they might be able to help a little more.

If anyone else has ideas for another means to find out the age of the clasp, I'd appreciate it.

-GM-

Unless the clasp has another hallmark on it, he may not be able to tell you the date. However, he should have been able to give you a date range. Surely that clasp was only used between certain dates.

I'm going to guess 1940s to maybe 1960s the latest.

Anyway. They're REAL Mikis! They're vintage. Get them cleaned up and restrung and then ENJOY!!!

Great story and so glad they have landed in your hands and that you are going to love and look after them.
I'm sorry Mikimoto NYC couldn't tell you more about them.
Look forward to the 're-strung' photos and hopefully a neck shot!

Thank you! I am so grateful that they were not lost forever! I can't wait to get them back so I can wear them and let them see the light of day after all these long years in a dark place.

I left them for re-stringing (I don't think it ever has been re-strung) and to be evaluated so I am hoping the gemologist who reviews the string might be able to provide more information. Heck, I'd be willing to send them to Japan and directly to Mikimoto if I thought they could give me information about them. :) Could they be earlier than the 40's?

I'll be wearing them a lot once I'm sure they are secure and clean and take lots of pictures!

The babies came home today!

Clean and pretty!

Pearl-String.jpg
So, I was told that it is not Mikimoto's policy to give ages for their jewelry. I would keep that in mind when shopping for vintage pieces. If someone tells you Mikimoto 'says' it is X years old (or from 1940's or...), consider that the company's stance on such things. I'm still on a hunt to discover the age of this piece.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Finding this site has been so helpful and I look forward to getting earrings and maybe a ring. :D ANd maybe a..... LOL! Yes, I'm hooked. ;)

Pearls.jpg

Attachments

• Pearl-clasp.jpg
    Pearl-clasp.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back