Please help me authenticate this "Mikimoto" vintage strand

Asmodeus

I have inherited what I am told is a genuine vintage Mikimoto strand of graduated pearls from the 1950s. All the pearls have a beautiful spherical shape, great lustre, excellent surface and a lovely colour. They feel a bit "gritty" when rubbed together and I do believe they are at least genuine pearls :)

The pearls graduate from 4.3 mm to 7.5 mm and have a beautiful 14K gold clasp. The necklace is in original perfect condition with no damage, flaws or issues whatsoever. The strand is 48 cm when unclasped and 24 cm when clasped. There is no Mikimoto hallmark on the clasp however, just a "14k" stamp with a tiny triangle with one side missing next to it

It is in what appers to be an original 1950s display/gift box and has a Mikimoto tag. From what I understand it was last purchased 8 years ago at an estate jeweller in Carmel, California for around $1,000 USD. I am in New Zealand. I would like to sell this on to someone who will enjoy it but I need to know if I can call it Mikimoto or not, and if not, what I can call it and what it might be worth. It is a beautiful piece, I'm just not sure what it is exactly :)

Thanks!

jtrzio.jpg

1zquhch.jpg

2znpac8.jpg

I have a vintage strand of akoya pearls with a similar 14K (white) gold clasp as you see in the photo below, but have no reason to think it's Mikimoto. It doesn't have a Mikimoto mark. I bought the strand without any history or documentation. It is 18" long restrung and ranges from 5mm to 8mm.

I'm wondering whether:
a. your strand was restrung with a different vintage clasp (noticing the large glued knots near the ends of the strand, 2 pearls in...not very neatly done, looks like a restringing job (but why would they not restring with the genuine Miki clasp?)
or
b. (more likely) it's not a Mikimoto strand, just another akoya pearl strand placed in a Miki box with a Miki tag to fetch a higher price.

I would not advise you to list it as a Miki strand without proof by way of documentation or a Miki clasp.

attachment.php

Last edited:
No expert on this but there's no way you can tell if pearls were produced by Mikimoto. With no marked clasp and no paper work, what you've got is a lovely vintage pearl necklace that happens to be in a Mikimoto case.

- Karin

OP, I might add that many of these graduated akoya necklaces were sold in wartime Japan to servicemen, who then brought them home to their sweethearts. They were called "3.5 momme strands", momme being a unit of weight used with pearls. Graduating the pearls kept the total pearl weight down (and the price.)

As to how to list the pearls, you can certainly call them a vintage akoya strand. When listing it, provide better in-focus closeup photos against a white background without flash.

Back