What are these ebay pearls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to majabali, we are all suffering a group delusion that we know anything more than he does, about pearls. He also stated he found bad reviews or said there were people that don't like P-G. I looked for some and don't know what search terms to use because as soon as I put in Pearl-guide, all that comes up is stuff already on Pearl-Guide. I am curious what search terms he used... I can't find a bad word anywhere.

I looked up
bad review pearl-guide.com,
hate pearl-guide .com,
anti-pearl-guide,
against pearl-guide,
down on p-g,
dishonest p-g,
and maybe a couple of others, but only got hits from p-g on that subject. I sure would like to know what search terms he used.

I think that statement was defensive baloney.

Unlike many on P-G, I do not mind stating things in strong terms to outlandish ebay sellers- but I am not a seller, any more- I am a primarily a customer and a writer/scholar on the subject of pearls. I have little to gain from meek statements. I own 25 of the best books on pearls- from Tavernier to Strack, probably not as many as some people on here, but enough to get a respectable education combined with the personal tutorials Jeremy gives and the experience of seeing millions of pearls at shows, and in Jeremy's vault, and about 6-7 seminars with Elisabeth Strack. The only thing I haven't done is take the GIA courses, because I am 70, I can't afford to and don't need to spend money to keep up credentials, and I do not need professional credentials as a customer. Besides Jeremy helped Doug with a lot of the research for the course, if not the actual writing, he did peer review it. Besides, I know Doug personally and can ask him anything I want about pearls and do.

So I think I am in a good position to critique eBay pearl sellers, and websites that come to my attention. Call me a Pearl Critic- much like a Food Critic or a Dance critic. Critics do not have to be pros in the business they critique, they just have to be knowledgeable and write well.

Caitlin, you make me smile. Love, love, love it when you get your dander up!

There is only one majabali that is what I googled. I do not claim that anything found on google is true, it is just what came up when I google majabali.

The first link has a photo. It is the same photo as majabali uses on eBay. I am fairly sure, by the above, that several people hate him enough to put those claims up on Google and he has not sued them.

Following is our final exchange. I am off this case. It is too disconcerting to spend time thinking about this any more.

Dear Ms Caitlin,

Let's get the record straight here before I get angry enough to seek legal remedy.

You write, "I upset you by telling the truth about what your pearls are?"

That is NOT true. You upset me by your statement, "I can easily prove fraudulent claims on your part." Had you written, "I can easily prove inaccurate (or erroneous) claims in your description" then we would not be having this discussion. The use by you of the term fraudulent is entirely inappropriate, and dear lady, if you need an attorney in Arizona to explain that to you the hard way, just let me know. The fact that you have chosen to make those comments public (by way of your forum) only makes your potential liability for libel and slander worse for you. Take my advice and call an attorney, because it's quite clear you never attended any law school.

Since you have made your libelous and slanderous accusation of our making "fraudulent claims" public, and now tied into our business name on eBay, we demand that you remove the offending statements from your public forum, or face legal remedy.

While you are at those revisions, you should also remove post #2 which currently states, "Hmm. Makes me wonder about the genuine, antique silver pots made in China that they sell for up to 2k." As the administrator of this forum you are just as legally responsible as the author of the comment for that additional libelous statement. majabali
Dear majabali/
This is my last message to you. I googled your name and found out you are Roy Thompson, a man who could not be more hated for your supposed activities. In fact there several blogs out there by people who hate you so much, they dedicated them to making people who google you come up with the worst things anyone could say about anyone. Why don't you sue them first? They are the ones who wrecked your name, not me. I haven't heard of that for people who aren't famous and political, In any case, I don't want to find out more.

So bring it on! Spend your money to get me. You won't.

I don't understand why you wish to take me on when there are others saying far worse things about you.... You need to spend that money on fighting your other accusers. The name Majabali is already all over the internet, connected to Roy Thompson, with a picture of Roy Thomson found on eBay. And the claims I found through googling Majabali above are all libelous- or slanderous, if not true, and you need to fight them, first. How come you are not? Why obsess on me? After all, you took the listing down- and you have been warned if you put it back up.I am done with you.

Last edited:
Ugly stuff, indeed. You're correct Caitlin, there are much uglier accusations out there than of selling misrepresented pearls. I was troubled by the lack of citations backing up the accusations, but I guess that's the nature of blogging.

Hi Lisa
There doesn't seem to be very good documentation, but that is not my point, I am not claiming what those bloggers say is true. The thing I find remarkable is that people will take the time and energy to start a blog JUST so they could hate on him. And not just one blog.

Even if the blogs are not truthful, this is getting into unprofitable territory way beyond the pearls. The pearls seem to be the least of his possible targets. One of the blogs is by his supposed best friend. He probably can't sue anyone while he is in Bali or those illegal activities people claim he indulges in, should be first. Unless he can defend against the charges, he can't sue people for saying true things. I think he has too much on his platter to sue anyone. I don't know why he would provoke people to google him, it does not help his reputation to have a few thousand more people glance at those blogs.

Oh, I agree with your points. I don't think I'd want to have further dealings with any of that lot, even via posts.

The last link is to one of his own blogs. He fights with everyone and threatens everyone he fights. Did you notice, in his last message, he threatened to write a blog specifically to hate on me, (or Pearl-Guide)? I doubt it will be findable unless you google him. The level of inner turmoil shown on his own blog is enough to make want to stand back and let him keep shooting his own feet.

eek.

Hoooboy! I quit reading before I got that far, it was distasteful stuff...I'll have to check it out. Imagine, a blog to hate Caitlin!

What different worlds the two of you inhabit! One helpful, one hateful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, Lisa I edited your post to take out identifiable words. Sorry. But I don't want to get my various lives mixed up together.
I got into too much due due with this one. And of course P-G is responsible for only the posts I made as Admin, not as myself- if that, even. I am responsible for what I say here under my own name.

This guy sounds like quite a character. Good job Caitlin. You were well within your rights to call his auction fraudulent. Selling Chinese freshwater pearls as South Sea pearls is fraudulent. No matter what the guy says, I believe the chances are close to ZERO that he did not know what he was selling. Freshwater pearls have never been grown in Indonesia, and 14 years ago we didn't run across large freshwater pearls like that. So he knowingly was lying. Those pearls most likely came from China in the last year.

So yes, in my opinion, that also calls into question everything he sells on eBay. His aggressive responses are not one of an innocent person. He knows what he did.

Sue away Majabali, lol.:p

Last edited:
Hi Caitlin, no sweat, glad you were able to do it ;-)

It seems I missed a lot of the action. At least the silver may be real, stolen, antique silver, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back