Anyone purchased from echen88 on Ebay? What do you think of their pearls?

llviolet

Hi guys! Just found these golden south sea pearls from Ebay (seller: echen88). The price is quite low, what do you think of these pieces? I'm new to pearls. Any advise is appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

13mm South Sea golden pearl pendant w/chain, diamonds, solid 14k yellow gold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13mm-South...695140?hash=item5b43927324:g:tGcAAOSweLBaeL9V

11.2mm South Sea golden pearl earrings, diamonds, solid 18k yellow gold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-2mm-Sou...334842?hash=item5b4701f63a:g:tYMAAOSwLM5bFvCz

11.2mm golden South Sea pearl ring, diamonds, solid 18k yellow gold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-2mm-gol...935424?hash=item5b47d17d80:g:kGAAAOSwr95axAWT

11mm South Sea rich golden pearl pendant, diamonds, solid 18k yellow gold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11mm-South...819325?hash=item5b46adcd3d:g:pMoAAOSwm-pZqcCC

The pearls look genuine but I've never bought anything from this seller.

Unusually for eBay, I see they allow free returns (shipping paid by seller) for 30 days. That's certainly a positive thing.
A number of the pearls have blemishes, which reduces the price tag.

Free shipping & return is a huge plus. The low price makes it "too good to be true" though.

Apart from the blemishes on the pearls, there is no statement about the quality of the diamonds. In other words, I think you are getting what you pay for.

Also, looking at the insides of the rings, many have long grooves along the sides where they could have been solid. It makes for a less heavy and less costly finding, but I don't find that comfortable in a ring. It leaves indentations in my fingers.

Last edited:
Just bought one pair of earrings from this seller. I'll upload pics once I receive them. Since the seller offers free 30 days return, if I'm not satisfied with the quality, I can always return them.

The pearls look genuine but I've never bought anything from this seller.

Unusually for eBay, I see they allow free returns (shipping paid by seller) for 30 days. That's certainly a positive thing.
A number of the pearls have blemishes, which reduces the price tag.

Hi girls! I received the earrings in the mail, the seller is in Hawaii. Are these golden south sea pearls? Let me know if more pictures are needed. Thank you so much!

orange
ngupil
palembang
funny

All I can say based on your photos is "they could be golden SSP".

Do you like them? Are the diamonds clean and sparkly?

I suggest you take them to a jeweler to see if the diamonds are really diamonds. If they aren't diamonds, then likely the pearls aren't SSP either. (Bead nucleated FWP can resemble SSP.)

Diffuse light makes for diffuse reflections, and single points of light make for sharper reflections.
llviolet, can you take a photo in natural light, for comparison?

What stands out right away for me is that the findings don't fit the pearls. They were made for larger pearls and the curvature doesn't match. I don't think it will be visible when worn but it may catch your hair.

How much of a deal breaker this is would depend on how much you paid. I would not accept it from a top end vendor but I would probably be ok with it as a bargain.

Lady Disdain is right, llviolet-- and the gap between the finding and the pearl isn't nearly as obvious in the photos posted by the eBay seller. Think long and hard about how comfortable they will be to wear.

Diffuse light makes for diffuse reflections, and single points of light make for sharper reflections.

I'll take photos later today when I'm off work. Thanks! I find these pearls have a peacock hue/refelection, at least under my office lighting.

Last edited:
Lady Disdain is right, llviolet-- and the gap between the finding and the pearl isn't nearly as obvious in the photos posted by the eBay seller. Think long and hard about how comfortable they will be to wear.

What stands out right away for me is that the findings don't fit the pearls. They were made for larger pearls and the curvature doesn't match. I don't think it will be visible when worn but it may catch your hair.

How much of a deal breaker this is would depend on how much you paid. I would not accept it from a top end vendor but I would probably be ok with it as a bargain.

Thank you!
I'm wearing it today and so far, they are comfortable and don't catch my hair. Adn the findings don't really show when wearing them. So I'm OK with that.

All I can say based on your photos is "they could be golden SSP".

Do you like them? Are the diamonds clean and sparkly?

I suggest you take them to a jeweler to see if the diamonds are really diamonds. If they aren't diamonds, then likely the pearls aren't SSP either. (Bead nucleated FWP can resemble SSP.)

The diamonds are pretty clear and sparkly. I will definitely take them to the jeweler, since I'm going to adjust one of my bracelet anyway. Thak you!

Welcome to P-G, please post ear shots! We love to see pearls in action!

Thanks!
96E312E4-FAD4-4E46-A383-501CE83DF071.jpg
My earlobes are very large and I don’t want to say fat, but well...
I feel smaller earlobes will look better in these, but they are very comfortable and secure to wear.

Last edited:

More pics in natural sunlight. What do you think? Are these SSP? Thank you guys!
C48A064A-6A7D-4B4B-AACD-19586226C011.jpg7E401AF2-CFED-4DAC-8CAE-39DD5496E6AF.jpg
0B081B96-9F7D-4106-B313-150B1B1D0989.jpg125FE5F1-450B-4936-AD1E-0C086E53732A.jpg20170521 194946

Last edited:
Back