Some of my odd pearl creations

Sheri,

Are you up for sharing some instructions on the knitted necklaces? Pleeeeeaaase?

Ah gee, since you asked so nicely...

I used one of those wooden wire knitting devices they sell at bead shows. It's quite ridiculously easy and fast. Not sure if Rio Grande carries them, but if not, SoftFlex or Beadalon probably do. Before you do the wire knitting, you string all of your pearls/beads on the soft wire, and feed them through the hole as you knit. The tool should have directions with it. Easy easy easy, fun fun fun. Now I've given away all of my secrets, sigh.;)

Have fun!

Sheri

I remember your big SS pearl in the mesh that you "just threw together" and was really impressed. This combination is really stunning, with the mesh encased pearls. Love, love love, John!

Thanks, John!!! The fan mail is always great for my ego...:D

S.

Beautiful work of art Sheri.
Thank you for sharing !

First, since I'm very new to the site, Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge/expertise so generously, and graciously.
Second, Sheri, that bib is breathtaking!!!
Third, questions about silver, oxidation and pearls I've had that keep me from buying any silver in contact w pearls:
Does the oxidation have any negative effect on the pearls?
Does silver polish have any damaging effect if it touches pearls?
As you wear this bib and it warms with your body heat, does the silver thread stretch or sag with the weight of the beads?

Thank you all for being so generous and welcoming,
lisa c

Oh, Sheri, I've gone back to page one of your thread, and read forward...WOW. Your designs are creative+! I don't think this bead- and creativity envy-can be good for my soul, but I'll risk it for the pleasure of seeing your designs.
You're a wedding-gown designer or shop owner or something? Have you thought about joining a jewelry or other type of guild? or have you already?

Hi, Lisa C, and welcome to the forum! To answer your questions, oxidation does not appear to have any negative effect on pearls, but you should be careful with silver polish, as abrasive or caustic elements that would remove tarnish could harm the nacre. I personally like blackened things (that's the goth in me).

The wire I used in the knitted pieces is sterling silver, so does not expand or contract from the heat of my body. The multistrand collar uses very fine wire mesh (the mesh I used is base metal, though it is available in sterling). That, too, seems stable with regard to exposure to body heat, though it can stretch and tear with too much stress, weight, or manipulation.

I have my own costuming/corsetry/bridal business (jurneckacreations.com), and have been active in various costuming organizations, but mostly from a social standpoint. I'm actually kind of a loner when it comes to making stuff.

Again, welcome to P-G - there's a lot to see and learn here, and we'll all look forward to hearing more from you!

Sheri

Dear Sheri,
Thank you, for the welcome and the information.
You confirmed what I intuited about the polish, so I'm glad I resisted the urge.
Your use of the oxidized silver was very dramatic and inspired.
I can't seem to communicate about your designs without gushing. Well, the gushing is justified, so there you have it.
I love everything about pearl-guide and what I'm learning, except for how it logs me out. hmph.
Thank you, all you guides, for sharing your knowledge so generously!
Lisa

Sheri, I love what you are doing with FW pearls. Very creative uses, and my under 35 customers go crazy over your designs - "How cool!" is the usual comment.

Your stuff is so wearable -- though I do like my traditional stands, too.

Grandma, over and out.

Lisa:
It may be reasonably okay to use a polishing cloth gently on the metal parts if they are tarnishing and then wipe the pearls afterwards. I have and it doesn't seem to do them any harm. But be careful to wipe the pearls off after as the cloth is impregnated with something to remove the gunk.l
I tend to run my eyeglass cloth over my pearls from time to time as it is made to be so soft it doesn't scratch the finishes on the glass. The perk up nicely and don't seem to scratch from that and it has the advantage of perking up the clasp too.

Sheri,
I love the mesh bib necklace! It is so beautiful!! How did you connect the mesh to your silver findings? Would you mind posting a close up picture of the connection point?

You are just too fabulous for words!

Sheri,

Adding to your fan club - love the knitted pearl necklace and the mesh pearl necklace!!! Very unique and beautiful!!!!
Can you please tell me what wooden knitting device you were talking about? I googled it and could not find it on the net. I am guessing it is not knitting needles. :) Is the device which is circular with pegs on them? I had bought my mother a set of this device from our local craft store - you can knit a scarf and such.

Lisa,

FYI : I have used Argentium Silver to make necklaces (non-pearl) in the past and have not seen it tarnish.

Cheers,
SR

I have a ring left from a range that sold well, knitted in 14k rolled gold wire. I had earrings with a knitted disk about 2cm diameter, dotted with tiny pearls, too. It was made in Israel. I have since found some similar items on etsy.

Attachments

• small400.jpg
    small400.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 43
Beautiful ring ! do you have any idea where it comes from in Israel?

I'll have to ask my supplier, Nora, she has lots of Israeli jewellery, from lots of different makers. Mainly silver, with a bit of gold, and there are some (not particularly good) FW between silver beads. Actually, Nerida, she will also have a stall at the Sydney trade show, so you might see her there. Her label is Saliel. She is a lovely lady, who comes Salsa dancing with me!

Reminds me of something (LINK)...

[cannot be absolutely certain, but I always thought that the 'labyrinth' series launched the series of 'felted' gold - there wasn't much around when Niessing launched them back in the day]

I don't think Niessing has allot of things with pearls (cannot remember any, but have not kept up 100%), but some of the designs would surely fit some pearl interpretation!

[Oops for wrying off-topic: I have been waiting for a pretext to mention them for the longest time - not obvious given their self-imposed pearl-less-ness!]

Last edited:
Sheri,
I love the mesh bib necklace! It is so beautiful!! How did you connect the mesh to your silver findings? Would you mind posting a close up picture of the connection point?

You are just too fabulous for words!

Hi, Donna - another very low-tech solution....I tied really strong knots. Another nice feature of that fine mesh.

Sheri

Reminds me of something...

[cannot be absolutely certain, but I always thought that the 'labyrinth' series launched the series of 'felted' gold - there wasn't much around when Niessing launched them back in the day]

I don't think Niessing has allot of things with pearls (cannot remember any, but have not kept up 100%), but some of the designs would surely fit some pearl interpretation!

[Oops for wrying off-topic: I have been waiting for a pretext to mention them for the longest time - not obvious given their self-imposed pearl-less-ness!]

Oh god, those rings looks like they've been cut out of a brain... :eek:

Back