Some of my odd pearl creations

Good tips, Jerin, thanks. I like to use The Pearl Doctor cleaning solution to rinse my pearls a few times a month, then I just blot and let them dry overnight. They also stretch if you put them before the string is dry!

Johanna,
you are so right. Tell me, do you really need to clean the pearls that often? I just wipe them down with a moist cloth, dry them and do nothing more. Of course, I have re-stringed many of my larger pearls and as I use Power Pro, the problem with stretching has literally disappeared.

Are you satisfied with the Pearl Doctor cleaning solution?

Hi Jerin,

I clean my pearls often since I wear them every day, and as a result they pick up lots of skin oils. I'm a seller, so I have to model my wares where ever I go - otherwise people in my community say: "Hey, why aren't you wearing any pearls!"

I love The Pearl Doctor cleaner. I have allergies, and the solution is non-irritating to my nose and skin. It does not coat the pearls with anything, but cleans them well so you can see their true luster. I find pearls and the metals just glow after I wash them in it. The solution removes dust, oils, and residues of stringing wax really well, but does not strip color from dyed pearls (if those are your pleasure).

I also wash customer orders in The Pearl Doctor before I ship, to ensure that the pearls look their best.

Stringing is a skill I would love to learn. Can you pick it up on your own, or would you recommend taking a class?

Best,

Last edited:
Hi Johanna,
I did it on my own with just a lot of encouragement from Caitlin and the little book "Pearl and Bead Stringing with Henrietta" by Henrietta Virchick and which I don?t mind to recommend once in a while, since it takes up different types of stringing and lots of other useful things. So her goes: there is no ISDN number but with the title and author you should be able to get it through Amazon.com. It was not overly expensive either and has some very lovely designs beside the stringing work, tools and so on.
Try it - you?ll never regret it. And as a seller you are going to be asked to do restringing for customers, I think!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!:)

Been a while since I added to this thread, and this one isn't necessarily odd, but here goes - 741 pearls, combination of freshwaters and Kamoka Tahitians, tediously strung on 34 guage wire...

Sheri

Attachments

• 741 pearls 002.jpg
    741 pearls 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 49
Lovely piece. The colors are so rich and the white pearls are a terrific contrast. Inspiration from the lacy collar in portrait of the Lady in Waiting?? Lovely...

That is THIN wire. What metal? I've wondering again how thin you can go with sterling, and gold. I had a piece of 14K, 30 gauge gold, that I was trying to get a kink out of just pinch-pulling it between tips of finger and thumb. Well, of course I have a wire with a thin section now, and still a tiny kink.

So, what do you think of the 36 g? Did you chose it because of the seed pearls?

New, shorter hair, too! Too much hair for the summer when it was long? It looks like it's thick; not thick individual hairs, but lots of them...I used to have hair like that; it gets to be a lot of work in the summer, no matter how pretty (sigh), doesn't it?

Thanks for the compliments! You have a good eye, Lisa - I have thick, fine hair, doesn't want to do much...got it chopped off a few months ago...very liberating! This is actually after 3 months of growth - in for a trim on Monday. Sure easier to stuff it under my big fluffy wigs, though I sometimes miss the ability to French braid it. Also nice when I go scuba diving, as I don't have to worry about keeping it out of my face.

Back to the project - I used 34 guage gold-colored base metal wire, the kind that comes on a little spool...used it because of the tiny seed pearls...what a pain!!!!! Kink city. I ended up having much less frustration by using relatively short lengths - no more than maybe 18" or so at a time - and adding on to it. One nice thing about using wire is that the piece does hold its shape nicely. I'm a little sorry the dangles didn't come down longer once it's on -the curvature around the neck flattens them out a lot - but it is a very wearable and comfortable piece - just got back from a 9 mile walk wearing it, and it didn't budge a bit or drive me even slightly crazy! Good to look elegant when one is sweating profusely...

You're killing me, but I love it! You wore that piece on a 9 mile walk?? Is that your quality control test?!? (gurgling)

Between chair dancing with Kamokakakas, and 9-mile-sweats in period-inspired jewelry - well, never a dull moment with you and the best laugh I've gotten all day! Thank you!

I miss french braiding too. "No French braids for you!" (soup nazi inflections) not until I get a face lift.

Beautiful design - I love this interpretation of a collar and it's refreshing to see this kind of piece in pearls.

Your testing methods are rigorous - and sound fun!

Hair and necklace -- faboo! Better than the Marie Antoinette necklace by far! ;)

My 50th birthday shoulder-dusters. Not for the weak of heart. Or short of neck...:D

Sheri

Attachments

• shoulder dusters.jpg
    shoulder dusters.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 37
Back