Restyled & Recycled Jewelry Challenge!

I love that tin cup with your mother's chain. It's a much more interesting chain for a tin cup.

Thanks BWeaves. It's long too...long enough for me to double.

CrazyMissy, do post a photo of the pearls. There are tons of ways to restyle, of course my preference would be to string them with tiny gemstone beads...but I'm sure you'll get some wonderful recommendations from the creative minds here!

JerseyPearl, love the gold filigree stations on that long pearl/chain necklace ... and those sapphires are my favorite!

Hello again,

@Jersey Pearl & Pearl Dreams: here it is... or what's left of it. Well, we did manage to get most of it. It was a 16-in single strand necklace with a small pendant in the middle. I'm not really a strand person, and well, I recently got a second wind appreciation for pearls... so the poor necklace was lonely at the back of my jewelry box. Then on the day I remembered it, and actually wore it, my daughter screamed "Pretty!" and grabbed it. Things happen so fast when toddlers are involved.

No, it was not knotted, so we had the whole Bruce Wayne's mom dies scene reenacted. :p

It's my mom's, and she might feel bad to see her necklace from her younger years in this state. And she's visiting me next week. :eek: :eek: :eek: So yeah... ideas ideas please? :)

snapped.jpg

The pearl started like this:
my white drop.jpg

I saw it like this at Pearl Paradise:
metallic_strand_earrings_and_pendent.jpg

Went home like this:
drop-earrings-pendent.jpg

On a visit to Pearl Paradise to see the Baroque 10mm akoyas I took it along to compare the luster of akoya pearls to the super metallic drops. I left it for a redo after matching it to one of the akoya strands. Then I got a cell phone picture from Jeremy's desk. I was beyond thrilled.
20150412_112202.jpg

It's one of my favorite necklaces that I reach for often. This one pearl has reached exactly the place it will be with no more redos ;)
IMG_0277.jpg

CrazyMissy,

You can restring it yourself, but probably not in time for your mother's visit, given that you have a toddler!

I recommend knotting between each pearl so that if it breaks again, the pearls won't scatter. That will make it a tiny bit longer though. You don't have to knot between the pearls if you don't want to-- but you will need to knot between the last 3-4 pearls on each end near the clasp.

Here is my tutorial on how to do the restringing yourself. It's not hard, really-- many of us do our own stringing!
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...-Stringing-Pearls-on-Power-Pro-Beaders-Secret

What a dreamy journey that lovely pearl drop has made, Newberry ... and YES, it's found it's destiny :)

Pattye, great idea for a thread! JP, Newberry - excellent projects! ...time for me to get digging!

Thanks Pearl Dreams! I'll try and mix in maybe some coral beads, or maybe something blue, and see how it goes. Wish me luck! :)

Beautiful enhancer you got there, Newberry! :)

Loving the ideas in this thread and the gorgeous pearls!!!

I love to rework things as well Here are a few things I've redone.
a 30" 6mm akoya strand seemed a little boring so I added in some gold beads and Tahitians.
il_fullxfull.881606375_ovhf.jpg

DSC06632.jpg
IMG_20170604_154931.jpg
IMG_20170605_011832.jpg
DSC06721.jpg
Took a vintage blue baroque akoya triple strand and added some white baroque akoyas. Made a triple bracelet with the clasp and used the remainder pearls on a strand. I don't see this strand much anymore since my mom has borrowed it.

IMG_20170605_110649.jpg

IMG_20170605_013632.jpg
IMG_20170605_184328.jpg
IMG_20170606_152819.jpg
IMG_20170608_124527.jpg
Both necklaces plus the bracelet.
IMG_20170608_163135.jpg

Last edited:
Newberry - I also like longer necklaces and tin cups, but this wire wrapped necklace with the drop pendant is my all time favorite!! I love to see it posted everytime.

I've also bought a baroque Akoya strand last Christmas, but it's so nice, I can't bring myself to cut it, and make it to something like yours, although it was my original plan!! I just have to find good quality gold wire for a good price.

Newberry- I love your tin cups! ALL of them!!!
Amti- If I was your mom, I would be "borrowing" that strand, too! (Along with the Akoya/Tahitian strand) Love them both!

Amti, those Tahitians look like Christmas ornaments! Gorgeous with the white akoyas.

Thank you !!!!! It is really a fun strand to wear and it always get compliments.

Amti I love your redo's.The blue pearls are so dark and wonderful especially contrasted with the white pearls. I totally understand why your mom borrowed it and you don't see it much ;)

A picture I forgot I had. Wendy and I always take a Friday morning picture at breakfast before the ruckus starts and one year I wore this set before the redo.

IMG_20130802_081549_154.jpg

Last edited:
Amti those re-do pieces are absolutely luminous ... just lovely!

Saw these Vietnamese Akoyas at a ruckus. Fell hard and had to have them. Didn't care that they were very small pearls compared to what I usually wear

PGP_12_P_008.jpg

Even wore them Saturday morning of that years ruckus.

270.jpg

I didn't wear them much after that weekend. I would put them on and then take them off. I even tried to do a torsade with my larger blue akoyas. Loved the pearls but didn't like the size. I sent them to Sarah to do something with. I wanted for the strands to be broken up and to have them added to a multi-gemstone necklace. Sarah didn't think what I wanted would do the pearls justice. She would do what I wanted but counseled against it. On a trip to visit Sarah she pulled them out and was going to give them back to me. I persuaded her to just keep them until inspiration struck. At this time it had been 6 to 8 months. I figured they might as well stay there because they wouldn't have been worn anyway. You can see them on the table with a few of my other re do projects.

IMG_0787.jpg

I was on Facebook and saw a post from Sarah and thought OMG that's what I would like Sarah to do with my pearls ;)

kojima-redo.jpg

Our emails crossed in cyberspace sending the same picture to each other. Little did I know that the picture I was sending her was my new strand. I was beyond thrilled she did not do what I originally wanted, that I listened to her and just said surprise me.

IMG_0988a.jpg

I love to wear this strand now. I reach for it often. Thank goodness she did not listen to me. The pearls were special before but not me but after Sarah did her magic I really have something wonderful that does the pearls justice.

Back