• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

Restyled & Recycled Jewelry Challenge!

Bailey1856

The second one is Catherine Cardellini's blissful mix. I added some pearls from pearlescence as well as various other ETSY vendors.
I decide to make this one ombre too since I really prefer colour graduation as opposed to mix colours. This one actually goes well with my ombre T rope. It is heavy though!:eek:
ombrefresh.jpg
ombrefresh2.jpg
ombrefresh3.jpg
ombrefresh4.jpg
ombrefresh5.jpg

battah

I finally have something to contribute here! Purr sent me some gorgeous carved angelskin coral necklaces, which I thought went beautifully with some ombré baroque freshies I had. My baroques were strung way too long, so I cut the rope down and removed a sampling of colors, then added them to the double strand coral necklace. The bottom strand is carved and the upper isn't. I LOVE how the double strand came out! And feel like I'll get a lot of wear out of it ❤️

Before:
IMG_3581.jpg

After in bad lighting and neck shot in better lighting (having a hard time showing the colors)

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

ennui

I'm thinking about converting a 64" rope into two strands. Say, a 20" necklace and the remainder at 44". Is this a stupid idea? Can a 44" strand be doubled without a clasp? Clasps on both would be best so that I could connect them again. Would I have to restring the entire necklace? Could I cut it, and then have a lot of loose leftovers for dangle earrings? Maybe this is a stupid idea and I should just leave it alone. Pearls are 7.5 mm, baroque Akoyas.

Thoughts?

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
I can get 22" necklace over my head without a clasp...just. A doubled pearl necklace? Maybe, given that the pearl diameter isn't large.

But I think restringing with connectable clasps is a better idea. The small size orbit style clasp would make a good connector-- they come in several sizes in rhodium placed sterling silver, 14K, 18K. Rio calls them "oval push clasps":

https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=oval+push+clasp&c=&t=1&pageSize=32

You could leave 4 loose pearls to make dangle earrings-- say, 2 per earring. Use a head pin + eye pin to connect the 2 pearls, wire wrap onto a leverback finding.

ennui

Thank you! That's what I was thinking ... and thanks for the tip on Rio clasps.

2thdktr

I don't think I ever saw this thread until today-- great stuff. You all have given me some ideas!