Restyled & Recycled Jewelry Challenge!

Ahhhh I love all your photos, Purr! I think there were actually one or two in there that I hadn't seen before. I just love your creativity in putting pieces together, everything comes out beautifully. And Purr-mama is the best! Though I think your wrapped version was lovely as well.

I've also bought a baroque Akoya strand last Christmas, but it's so nice, I can't bring myself to cut it, and make it to something like yours, although it was my original plan!! I just have to find good quality gold wire for a good price.

Lol Katalin! I have done this many times. I bought a couple of neat chains and did not have the heart to cut them into small pieces for a tin cup.

Purr... you are the redo queen. Your pieces are all so creative!

Fabulous re-do’s, everyone!

About 13 years ago, I purchased my first “serious” pearls – a 7-7.5 mm 51” long akoya necklace with mystery clasps from AP. I wore it a lot for a few years, usually as a double or triple, then put it away after my first daughter was born and I stopped wearing necklaces thanks to little miss grabby hands, lol. I dug it out again in 2014 and had PP re-string it and add another 6” so I could create a triple with gaps between the strands. However, I found I didn’t wear it much due to PSS.
Akoya double (90%).jpgAkoya triple (90%).jpg

I spoke with Jeremy about a re-make mixing in some larger pearls. We considered a random pattern with 3 sizes of pearls, but given how many 7-7.5 mm pearls I had, we decided it made more sense to add 1 size of larger pearls every few inches. Jeremy did a great job of matching 10-11 mm FW pearls to my akoyas. The luster and color are very close. The resulting necklace is about 78” and so much fun to play with. The pattern is 13 small pearls between each large pearl.

Long Double 1 (40%).jpgTriple 1 (60%).jpg4 Strand 2 (60%).jpg3 strand plus Double Drop Twist 1 (60%).jpg

That re-do is so lovely, KaySD ... I couldn't pick a favorite version! Jeremy did a fine job on that one :)

Great re do Kay! You are giving me ideas for one of my strands ;)

Oh that's a fabulous redo, Kay! I love how you're wearing it in the last photo, that's such a fun look.

LOVE LOVE LOVE how you all have run with this topic! My apologies for being sporadic~recovering from cataract surgery (all's well). Starting today, emergency hemming on G'dtr's wedding dress, the person who was supposed to alter had it for 4 weeks and didn't do anything. Here we are 2 weeks away, yikes! It is 4 layers, with many lace appliques that have to be removed, then hand stitched back on. Although I've sewed and tailored for years, not much experience with tulle and lace, having only 2 sons. I will be coming up for air in about 2 1/2 weeks! Also made 10 sets of pearl jewelry for bridal party and family.

Etsy orders will be shipped immediately, as always!

Last edited:
Wow, Pattye, good luck with everything! If your granddaughter is ok with it, please share photos of her in her beautiful dress!

Glad your recovery is going well, wishing you health!

So happy to hear you are recovering well from the cataract surgery Pattye ... just in time for a very lucky granddaughter! I too would love to see photos, even of the pearl jewelry sets you made for the family and bridal party.

You certainly have a full plate, Pattye! I hope the hemming was done after surgery so you'd at least be able to see better! Hoping all the wedding plans are set and everything is smooth sailing from here out!

Kay, I am copying your design with the pearls my grandmother gave me. When I went to PP during Ruckus, I specifically had some freshies color matched with my akoyas. I have yet to start on the strand but hope this thread will get me inspired and off the computer.

Purrahna, you are definitely the redo-queen. Love all your creations and originality! I have a coral strand that is copied from your coral strand. I made it but have yet to wear it... afraid of banging it. lol... but I love it regardless.

Big Hugs wee hen Pattye, will speak to you soon before you go to the wedding.

I have a love for Edwardian and Art Deco Periods, this is a vintage style necklace using Akoya vintage pearls and Akoya Keshi pearls. I was not wearing it much so I decided to dissect it.

The first photo was taken part way through the deconstruction

IMG_7805.jpg

The first piece from the remake is a bracelet using the Akoya Keshi's from the flapper, incorporating some white south sea baroques.
1.jpg

The second piece took one of the tassels "whole" and more of the Akoya Keshi's to make a 32" necklace
2.jpg

Both I love and wear often

Beautiful, Bernadette! Akoya keshi are one of my favorite types of pearls, they're just so beautiful.

Back