Question about making a rope with various size pearls

Hanaleimom

Hello,

I need help regarding matching size for a baroque-shaped rope. My plan is to combine three 18” strands into a rope. They are graduated in size and about 3 mm difference from the smallest to the largest pearl. It is not a problem having the smallest near the clasp and the largest at the center but I can't carry 54" only wrapped once. If I wrap the strand twice or thrice around my neck, then it becomes a problem as the middle sized pearl will end up at the back of the neck. Would it be better to create a rope if the pearls are not too graduated and only about 1mm difference and save these strands for other projects? Or should I just mix the sizes throughout the strand? Will it be odd if I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Would it be better to create a rope if the pearls are not too graduated and only about 1mm difference

For sure the less graduation the better for a rope, especially if you plan on wrapping it multiple times like you mentioned.

If it was me I'd just mock up the rope on a temporary strand and see how it looks, maybe you can do something creative and mix up the sizes. I am very curious to see how it turns out though if you do make a rope, I'm not sure I've seen much in the way of graduated ropes yet.

I think it's odd too having such a graduated rope. It's a combination of Tahitian and SS, all baroque shape. The ratio is 2:1 Tahitian SS. Any other opinions are welcomed. TIA.

I wonder if you could come up with a more varied look where you make sure small ones are in between big ones sometimes, or even mix up the graduation just enough that it looks like you intended it to not be exactly the same size from pearl to pearl. Given the Tahitian to SS mix, also, though, it sounds like this might become too much of a math problem...

Have you considered interspersing the graduated pearls with larger pearls? I have 3 ropes that I really like that use graduated pearls randomly sorted into groups between larger sized pearls (and the larger pearl sizes vary as well). The dark one is black FW with Tahitians and probably shows the most size disparities - you can see 6mm pearls next to 8 mm pearls and the Tahitians range from about 8-11mm. The other is a mate strand of lightly graduated pinks (mixed up again) with whites from the mixed rounds beader's special (which also vary considerably in size). The last is keshi with the untreated baroques that were the first special offer from Pearl Paradise. They are all informal strands that are a great deal of fun. The twin ropes are about 46" each (36" necklaces of small FW and less than a strand's worth of the larger pearls)and the keshi rope is 54" (3 18" necklaces) Just a thought!

These also look really nice twisted and clasped with a pearl clip. I am afraid I don't have time for better photos - I am preparing to leave for Spring Break and shouldn't be on the computer at all! (I'll be suffering from withdrawl after 10 days with no P-G forum!!)

Attachments

• rope1.jpg
    rope1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 33
  • rope2.jpg
    rope2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
Oops! gravityalwayswins beat me to it! But especially since your pearls are baroque, I would be very tempted to mix them up.

The photos really help us get the idea! Those are lovely, Boo, and obviously very wearable and versatile! That keishi rope with the baroques--my fav by just a little! I find I wear my ropes a lot, too!

I would save out the largest pearls for pendant and earrings, or enhancer to add to the rope at times.

Hi Cathy,
I have several ropes of graduated pearls, and always graduate them largest at the centre to smallest at the ends (out of habit). From memory, I think the largest size difference is 2mm. - 3mm.
I've not found that they look odd when wrapping them two or three times....
Sometimes I re-arrange the rows so the larger pearls sit at the side of the neck, either to ring the changes or because I think the necklace looks nicer this way.
This is a 72 inch rope of Kamoka pearls, sizes 8mm. up to 10.5mm..ish

Attachments

• 0108.jpg
    0108.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 0109.jpg
    0109.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 44
Thanks Sueki for another look at that fabulous rope, and Boo, for yours as well..
Cathy - if it were me, and the pearls were more of a mix (unlike Sueki's which is all very regular, similar colours, and the graduation is not huge) of shapes, colours and sizes, then I wouldn't even try for a pattern - I would do it completely randomly... I used GSS, WSS and Tahitians in this 54 inch rope last year... it has 14K gold beads interspersed in order to disguise the 14K gold ball clasp so that whichever way it is worn it will still all look "right".... it now has a new loving home.

_MG_5448 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmmm, a rope of Tahitians, very nice!

Thank you ladies, you just gave me lots of ideas about what to do with my unused beaders special and some cheapo strands I bought on eBay recently :)

DK :)

This is a 41 inch rope of white and dyed black f.w.'s and South Sea pearls.
The f.w.'s are 6mm. - 7mm. and the South Seas are 9mm. - 10mm.

And thanks Boo and Nerida - yours are fabulous. :)

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 44
Wow! Those are fabulous ropes !!!

I think my pearls have too many mixed factors: sizing, shapes and colors. I don't have larger semi-rounds to interspersed with the baroques to make something similar to Boo's and Sueki's. I may try it in random order like Nerida had suggested...or wait for more round pearls for this project. And if I become too impatient, I may string the 2 Tahitians together with gold beads in between the pearls. They are 2mm graduation. Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I loved the random nature of the rope I did, but sueki, the mathsy person that I am just loves the symmetry of your black and white rope.... that is just more than perfect... I would wear that every day!

Here is a picture of several strands I got from Jeremy and combined into a rope. Someone called it a potpourri.

There 3 black beads in there, Look how dark some of the purples are.

Attachments

• potpourri pearls.jpg
    potpourri pearls.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the new pic of potpourri, Caitlin - it is a beautiful piece!

I'm thinking of another rope since being inspired by Sarah's Tahitian, and I'm thinking mixing up a bunch of stuff. Love seeing all these! Here's my contribution, although these are shorter. My twin to Boo's - the Mrs. Gould's pearls (another thread from the fall) and my version of a Kamoka rope, which is a 35" "Tin Cup." And a close up of the Kamokas, although they always wash out. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Mrs.jpg
    Mrs.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 43
  • kamoka rope.jpg
    kamoka rope.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 40
  • krope.jpg
    krope.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 41
Nerida, Thank you ! :)

Your comment says it all about me.....
I just can't help myself; symmetry rules my work.
I adore Caitlin's Potpourri rope, and it has inspired many of my ropes, but as a rule I just have to arrange the pearls symmetrically.....

Cathy,
I don't have a photo., but I did have a 100 inch rope of mixed freshwater pearls - keishis, rounds and off-rounds in sizes from 5mm. up to 8mm., coin pearls up to 12mm., and those tiny little lentil-like pearls. Mixed colours too, although no dyed pearls.
I made it from all the left-overs that were lying around and it looked great...
It has gone to a new home and I see it being worn often and the lady adores it.

I just got a couple of those basket/soccer ball clasps, and I'm really intrigued by how to work them into a rope. Sueki, I'm like you - I have to fight against symmetry and centering. I always thought I was so random, but design work teaches you a lot about who your are.
Cathy - make it the way your heart tells you - forget about convention. Make what makes you happy! Of course if that is centered and symmetrical, then we're back to the original post problem! :)

I loved the random nature of the rope I did, but sueki, the mathsy person that I am just loves the symmetry of your black and white rope.... that is just more than perfect... I would wear that every day!

Sueki,
I agree with Nerida, that last rope is absolutely fabulous as I too love symmetry if possible...:)

I like the other ropes as well, the Kamoka is very, very nice - a pity that those pearls come not cheap...;)

And if I take a look at Boo?s ropes - they are lovely as well, looking at her Keishi strand however I am thinking of a bone necklace for some reason.

Nerida, I like your random strand - good idea if you have lots of different shapes and sizes.

Back