Question about making a rope with various size pearls

Waimeamomi,

I adore your "candy"-rope, they colourmix is absolutely stunning!

First of all, thank you for your advice and ideas.

I have finished the rope (and more) this weekend. The specs have changed: 2 Tahitian strands, 1 champagne SS, 1 white SS. The result is 46" rope, 17" strand and a bracelet. All of them were knotted with the same size clasp to be joined together such as bracelet & 17" combination, all together for a belt wrapped around twice, the Sarah style (Kojimapearl).

Fortunately I was able to match them in symmetry (somewhat), but the same pattern is not not repeated throughout the rope due to the number of pearls available. The Tahitians are 8-10mm, champagne SS are 9-11mm, white SS are 10-12mm. The upper half of the rope has the drop pearls pointing up, the bottom has the drop pearls pointing down so that when worn as a double strand, they all face the same direction. The champagne SS are light and they don't pop against the white and green like most necklaces that I've seen, but nevertheless, it's alright for me. Below are photos taken by myself so the necklace is crooked.

First, rope on neck:

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
17" strand, rope and bracelet, rope wrapped twice, rope in coil.

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 44
Here is a 65" strand I bought from Pearllunar on Ebay.
I was a bit surprised to see the graduation...it looks like
they took 4 completed strands and attached them
together because there are 4 distinct graduations.
6.5-8mm. That being said, it isn't noticeable on the neck,
even when wrapped several times.

whiterope.jpg

Hi Annie, that is lovely. I see pink and green on them too. Somehow, part of your text is cut off.

You were editing when I was reading. Now I can read everything. :)

MST -- I ordered a rope from Pearl Lunar was supposed to be 7mm. I was surprised by the gradation as well. I agree with your assessment. Mine runs from about 5mm to 7mm. I was a bit disappointed although I do wear them and I suppose no one notices but me. Eventually, I'll make my own from more uniform pearls. Kate

I'm in Las Vegas with Mom in a nice timeshare. This thread has been a real treat -- you know how I love photographs, especially when all of the strands are fabulous. :)

I had the same worry about my rope from graduated baroque akoyas, but I decided the easiest thing was to cut them apart, mix them and just put them on the strand without evaluating the size. They turned out great. If they were rounds, I don't think it would've worked.

I hate to be boring, but randomness is not in my nature. Symmetry Rules!!!

The pearls are lovely and it was cheap at 50 USD, so I don't mind wearing it. When the silk stretches I'll take the time to properly graduate the necklace and add a clasp to the back. That way, I'll always know where to locate the smallest pearls. :)

The good news is that strand was my only PL disappointment. I think I purchased 50 or so items from her over the past 3 months. Ummm…addict??? Lol. My excuse is that I need a stash of gifts for family.

The pearls are lovely and it was cheap at 50 USD, so I don't mind wearing it. When the silk stretches I'll take the time to properly graduate the necklace and add a clasp to the back. That way, I'll always know where to locate the smallest pearls. :)

The good news is that strand was my only PL disappointment. I think I purchased 50 or so items from her over the past 3 months. Ummm?addict??? Lol. My excuse is that I need a stash of gifts for family.

You have a good excuse. To make the most of the shipping, you have to order more items! For the price, their stuff is good and fun to play with!

I read with interest with regard to the graduation within finished long rope from Pearl Lunar, and shall bear that in mind, and get loose 16in strands to string myself, should I decide to attempt a long rope!

Just don't fancy the idea of having to cut it up if something goes wrong near the end, that's all :p

DK :)

The way to string five strands or however many is not to string them first one, then second etc so you are just stringing them end to end...
you need to:
lay all five out parallel then you take a couple at a time from each strand.
You usually have to jiggle the order to get the sizes right but you are using all five strands at once.

I bought this bead board at a local bead shop, cheaper than riogrande.com: http://tinyurl.com/pggjh7. AAjewelry.com carries it as product # 33-434 http://tinyurl.com/pf83e3. It's 20" long and you can lay multiple hanks side by side. The groove doesn't look deep but it holds larger pearls too. The good thing is it's sturdy not flimsy and flexible like the others.

Attachments

• bead board.jpg
    bead board.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 37
Cathy, you just solved a problem I didn't even realize I had. I'm going to be showing a friend several strands of pearls soon. That board is great for presentation/comparison, as well as design... might even be handy for photography under certain circumstances. Thanks!

Hi Pattye and Lauren,
I am glad it was helpful to you. I bought the light camel color. Originally I was thinking of getting the ring display insert made of long foam pillows (1/2" wide), but it is only 14" long. That means having to buy 2 to double to 28" without a container and/or base.
http://jemco-usa.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=222-1

Attachments

• 222-1.jpg
    222-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back