nucleating bead shape

lisa c

Perpetual Pearl Student
Are all nucleating beads round? Well, let me be more specific, because I know some beads are shaped to obtain things like stars, and coins. Are any of the nucleating beads deliberately egg- and oblong-shaped?

The reason I ask is because I'm backlighting all of my pearls, and I see oblongs and eggs inside - no round-beads in my non-round pearls. In my more round pearls I see round beads.

There are distinct halos visible surrounding obviously solid, discernible shapes at the center of the pearls.
So, why is this what I'm seeing? Is it an artifact of the density of the aragonite-conchiolin as it's unevenly layered around a round bead? or what?

Thanks,
Lisa C

Last edited:
You can't count on candling pearls to tell you whether there is a bead inside. It sounds like you are seeing growth rings. You certainly are curious about the nature of your pearls. :)

Hi Blaire, please be forgiving my ignorance - I'm using a high intensity beam of light from one of those LED flashlights. Is that also considered 'candling'? The laser beam only shows through the pearl well in darkness. The high intensity flashlight shines through even in fairly well lit rooms. My little rice krispie pearls are lovely and translucent.

Yeah, I'm curious about what kind of pearls I have. I've bought some through ebay - and then I didn't remember what I'd bought or won. I think I won a set of Akoya, if I remember correctly (very late night auction, no one else bid. They were a fluke, actually.); how can I describe them, if I don't remember, and they aren't invoiced with a description?

I've made it a point to bid only on CFW, since then, on ebay, so at least I'd know what I've got. (HA! as if! I feel so dumb) Then I thought "I don't really know what I have. What are they, bead plus tissue nucleated? or only tissue nucleated?"
Is there a rule of thumb? For instance, are only-tissue-nucleated more expensive? rare? rare above say, a certain mm? or only sold by certain dealers?

I asked one reliable seller, she asked her supplier, who told her they were all tissue nucleated - but that could mean '+bead', since tissue is put in all seedlings...Ay, ay, ay

I know Effisk says read the book, but it hasn't come to my library yet.:( It might never get there if it's determined to be a 'Trade' publication.:(:(:( I'm at a loss.

So, (back to the shape of nucleating beads) beads used are normally round?:confused:

To answer my own ques, I had to sleep on it. Now I offer some more information, which probably helps to explain my confusion re bead shape. I'm a Newbie (inspite of a larger number of posts than a 'Newbie' category), and my application of the facts I've learned here has holes (hey, my brain might have holes as well, ya know?).

I have no 'Fine' pearls (YET!!!). So, it makes sense that the pearls I have, if bead + tissue nucleated, are pearls gone awry around a round nucleus, right? or, in the case of many I've bought from Fire Mt, for cheap fun and learning, discs for beads.

Lord, I feel stupid, but maybe some other Newbies missed this connection, too, and might benefit from having it spelled out.

Caitlin, I hope if this thread is useless even for Newbies, you'll delete it pronto if not sooner. It's embarrassing to be so slow in public:confused::(:eek:.

Last edited:
Also, I think it's time to bring out the hammer, and sacrifice a few pearls, eh? and take my status on PG down some, so newbies don't take me as any kind of authority. That can be done, correct?

Last edited:
I hope Blaire won't mind me jumping in here, as I have smashed a few pearls for fun---------

Yeah, it's kinda fun giving them a little smack! Be sure to put in a plastic bag, tho. And smack gently at first! If you have coin pearls, the inserts can be flatish, and in various shapes. The tissue nucleated (without bead) have only a tiny piece (approx 2mm) which pretty much disappears, and generally results in a pearl that is much less round. Let us know what you find out!

Thank you Pattye, for being so specific re what I'll find after smashing pearls that are tissue-nucleated-without-bead. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hi Lisa,

Yes, I am with Blaire - bit of a hit and miss to try to decipher what's inside the pearl without xrays or pearl sacrifice!

There are flat coin nuclei used, as well as the ubiquitous crosses and hearts and flowers - these have been around for ages.
Lately I have seen some nice (and some woeful) pearls nucleated with a three dimensionional diamond shaped nuclei. These can look pretty good! I think I have some photos somewhere.

Thing is, they won't be sold as nucleated or non nucleated and it is just getting harder and harder to tell. The nuked CFW are constantly improving.

A file Dave? You must have a lot of time on your hands :)
Marianne

A file? Good idea. But then I'd probably need to hold the pearl in a vise-grips... :) Lisa C - You can solve everything by taking the GIA online pearl course! :)

All Good thinking, and your suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:
For what it's worth, some years ago we were given a nucleus and we were asked to replicate it. it was drop shape (about 15mm x 7mm from memory) that had been hand made from mussel shell and they were using them to produce drop pearls for ear-rings and pendants.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in one of my jewelry books that little pearl Buddhas were produced by introducing Buddha shaped beads into oysters. I will see if I can find that reference again. I have some really inexpensive (and not so nice, as you might imagine) freshwater pearls that might be sacrificed since this thread has really piqued my interest and now the hammer idea has taken root......

There are pages on this site that mention the earliest pearls. Those Buddhas are considered to be the oldest CP, though I forget how far back- maybe thousands of years?

pjXReznoVl3t1lpbHigGPZHbo1_400.jpg

Cute little Buddhas!

They are being cultured in China. You find those sorts of mabes at the pearl market in Shanxiahu. I have a shell with just a single Buddha I brought back a few years ago and paid almost nothing for it.

I believe I once read that the original "Budha Mabe" were produced in the 8th Century...so, yes! The Chinese do have the right to brag about being the first to grow Mabe :)

Back