What type of pearls do I have?

jeremy666721

Hello all. I am mostly looking to see what type of pearls I have and approximately how much their value is.

The strand is 18 inches long, and the average pearl size is around 6.5-7 mm. They do feel gritty when rubbed together, and there is also a small print on the clasp that says "14k535". The history of this necklace goes back 10 years when it was purchased by my mother, so some parts of the string are already starting to loosen. There are also some slightly visible scratches on a few of the pearls. I'd say they're quite uniform. However, it can be seen that they some are more egg-shaped than round.

Any help would be appreciated.

It would be best if you could post a clear photo on a white background, without flash, and 1 or 2 close ups of the "scratches" also (they may be naturally-formed ring-type marks rather than scratches).

That being said, egg-shaped pearls are probably inexpensive freshwater pearls. (By egg shaped I mean with the drill hole passing through the smaller diameter). Depending on the quality, the clasp may be the most valuable part of the strand.

If you are hoping to wear them or give them to someone to wear, I probably would not pay to have them professionally restrung. This service can cost $3/inch or more. We have tutorials on the Lowly Beaders Club forum. Many of us do this ourselves; it is not hard.

If you are looking to sell them, know that pearls do not tend to retain their value on resale, and small, non-round freshwater pearls have little value in particular on resale as there are so many of them out there. Look at similar items on eBay and see what they actually sold for.

Back