nucleating bead shape

An update for an old thread. I mentioned previously about drop shape nuclei we were asked to supply. I've attached a photo of some that I currently have in stock. Interestingly, I've also just been recycling some rejected nuclei and have come across a number of drop shape nuclei from this batch.

Nuclei 3.jpg

Thank you for the update! Your information is valuable and it's generous of you to take the time to share it with us. I'm thrilled that you came back to post!

By "rejected nuclei" you mean the 'standards' person rejected the nuclei, right?

Anybody, when a mollusk rejects a nucleus does it squirt the nucleus out (and it falls to the ocean floor) or does it just not coat the nucleus with nacre?

Is there a machine set-up to shape the drop nuclei available now? or do they still require hand-shaping?

Last edited:
George,
I think you answered a question I have been having for years : the different shapes of drop pearls whether they are natural or cultivated.
I am reffering to natural drop pearls shot in Christies and Sothebys issues.

I've never seen a nucleus grinding operation other than photos on the net, so I'm just speculating.

Perhaps George or Mikeyy might comment. Am I right to assume, nucs must cut from near-to-square pieces? Are these teardrops the result of rectangles that are too long to roll entirely?

Has anyone ever done a run, specifically targetting teardrops?

Hi Lisa, by rejected nuclei I mean the nuclei that the oyster either rejected completely or where a pearl didn't form properly. This can be either a nuclei that is spat out not long after grafting or a pearl that is badly formed, calcified or heavily crusted or badly deformed. With larger sizes we'll try to cut them back to nuclei for re-use although smaller sizes are not worth working as replacements are far cheaper. These rejected or 'reject' pieces are usually found within the oyster as in Australia they typically do not use nucleus rejection nets, as some do in Tahiti.

When the nucleus is rejected, it can either be fully rejected from the shell and fall to the ocean floor (or collected in rejection nets) or it can be rejected from the 'pearl sac' yet remain within the oyster, or even remain in the pearl sac but not form properly.

The tear drops I have were inherited from a client who is now out of the business. We have never manufactured them but I believe they are shaped by hand - although not 100% certain.

Nuclei are generally cut from square or near square, formed into rough rounds and then final processing to get to a true round shape which is then polished. The drops would be specifically ground from pre-cut pieces to suit the end product/size required.

We have found some pretty interesting things when undertaking recycling, particularly various nuclei materials as well as shapes, etc.

Oh, I could just kiss you (as a granny, don't be grossed out) to infinity!!! I've been holding those questions for so long and now they're answered, Thank you so much! What a great, thorough answer:D:D:D:D:D...

I saw a video of the MOP being cut with a saw into rectangles, then squares, then being put into a milling wheel with grooves for grinding to the final size. I thought it was a lot of work to just write off if they were rejected, but thought maybe trying to salvage some of the rejected nuclei would be impractical financially. It's wonderful to know the practical aspects of salvage. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Back