My birthday present

cyndayco

As usual, I went to Greenhills--as I often tell myself--to do research. My goal was to find freshwater pearls that could approximate that golden SSP color. Or as my sister-in-law likes to call it, the "Jewelmer look."

It turns out I couldn't. Everything was too yellow, too orange, too dull or too pale. So I tried to relieve my disappointment with an inexpensive multicolor FW rope and a kasumi-esque baroque strand au "oil slick".

On my way out, I gave a stall one last poke, asking to see the SSP's in the glass case. My interaction with the shopgirl was a story in itself, but the main point of this post is that I DID IT.

IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1501.jpg

I was so excited; I couldn't even wait for daylight to shoot the photos.

The pearl in the foreground is 11.5mm; the pair in the back is 10.8mm. The surface is so clean; they failed the rubbing test, but they do feel gritty undertooth. I candled them with my iPhone; unlike my FW, they appear to have nuclei. I estimate the quality to be about A/B. "A/B" because there are one or two blemishes hidden from camera--a tiny ding, or a very short superficial growth line. But in the end, it was the "A" luster that got me. I don't know if you can see it in your monitors, but each is shiny enough to reflect the other two pearls.

So unless you're going to pinch me and say "Um, er, Cynthia, about those pearls..." I am going to fist-bump all of you and say "Thanks, PG, for helping me find my birthday present!"

Last edited:
Good question, Gemgeek. Something minimalist and modern, but I'd like the setting to make the pearl/s seem bigger. Should I make a set out of them, or use all three in one pendant?

I'm a set person. I would do pendant and dangling earrings, but that is me. I suggest you take your time and have some fun with different ideas. :)

They are fantastic! Happy birthday. I 2nd GemGeek -- I'd go for a beautiful, classic, simple set. Enjoy!!!

Oh, and do tell us the story!

Happy Birthday and a great present too. There is something really special about goldens so glad you now have yours :)

Here are the daylight photos. It's only 9 AM here so the morning sun (even in the shade) still casts a reddish light on the pearls. Although I must say, being able to count your fingers in the reflection is so cool (photo no. 4).

IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1543.jpg

Jeremy's pointers on dyed gSS worried me, but upon inspection, these don't look dyed. Of course, I won't be really sure until I have them drilled.

What is it they say about loving pearls and children?

Last edited:
I would have thought they could only be dyed through a drill hole-- so that would make them undyed, if my information is correct.

The color and luster are beautiful!

What about a ring for the larger pearl? Then you could admire it while wearing it....

How sad the story might be but when they are bought at Greenhills in Manila there is a 95 % chance they are treated. Both Jewelmer and Cogent do not sell pearls at Greenhills and the ones I saw last August there were dyed. You can not get the guarantee from the seller that they are not. But I like the pearls

Cees, you are absolutely right.

However Greenhills is my backyard, and it affords me the one luxury tourists and online consumers don't have: first-hand access to the merchandise and the vendors. It would be illogical to remove it from my consideration set, just because it's the KMart of pearls.

Besides, since I am not in the pearl business, I can afford to be less picky. My needs are simpler; I understand the risks; I paid a very good price for what I require. Unless the pearls turn out to be 100% nacre, I'm one happy camper. :D :D :D

"Greenhills is my backyard". Geez. I do envy you. You can also afford to pick through things with pleasure and at your leisure to come across the rare find. Enjoy!

To clarify, it is easier to tell if they have been dyed if they were dyed on the strand. Then there might be dye concentrations around the holes. They are very very good at heating and dyeing and it may not show. I would put worry aside and enjoy them. They are lovely. :)

Congratulations and Happy Birthday! They look great.

Jeremy's pointers on dyed gSS worried me, but upon inspection, these don't look dyed. Of course, I won't be really sure until I have them drilled.

This is the part that makes me think they aren't dyed. Does anyone know if undrilled pearls can be dyed?

All the dyed pearls I see at the Fairs here are undrilled

Found these photos of heat-treated (not dyed) and undrilled pearls on the GIA site. I saw more than a few pearls that match the color of specimen in the lower-right panel.

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 11.33.35 PM.jpg

You guys can judge whether my pearls were enhanced or not, but it won't take away from my pleasure.

Fascinating! I wonder how the dye gets in? Just through the surface structure of the pearl, I suppose? But then I wonder why akoyas are dyed after drilling?

This is the part that makes me think they aren't dyed. Does anyone know if undrilled pearls can be dyed?

Yes. Of course, it's less expensive to dye them in strands, but better pearls are dyed undrilled. It's possible to see dye concentrations under magnification, but high-end treatment can be undetectable without lab tests.

cyndayco,
Enjoy them! They are beautiful, whether or not they are dyed.

GemGeek,
It's good to know that. Of course, since pearls can become discolored by contact with cosmetics and other things they come in contact with, it stands to reason they could also be deliberately colored that way.

Back