My birthday present

Happy Birthday and wear your new pearls proudly! They're stunning dyed or not!!!

Enjoy your new pearls! Please share photos after they have been set.

Okay, I've narrowed my choice of settings to tension-set ring and earrings, like these ones by Vincenzo Taormina, but in white gold. My only concern is that tension settings may only be appropriate only for smaller pearls. Mine are 10.8mm and 12mm.

Does anyone here own something similar? What has been your experience with this kind of jewelry?

alba-1.jpga0467d7036986e17941f63c829982314.jpg

I really like that design. A good goldsmith will understand the engineering part to be able to tell you if it will work. The gold next to the pearl might need to flare a bit to be able to hold such a large pearl. I wonder if there is also a short peg that goes into the pearl to stabilize it. It wouldn't need to be very long. Please let us know how it goes!

(My experience has only been with platinum tension settings and diamonds.)

I do hope your jeweler can make the tension settings work. Your inspiration designs are simply gorgeous.

Last edited:
As gorgeous as these minimalist designs are, I am reconsidering my choice. My jeweler pointed out that against silver or white gold, my gSSPs would lose a lot of the luster I love. I could stay the course by using the same inspiration with yellow gold. But tension settings work best with contrasting metals and gems.

An alternative is a different kind of setting, with SauveJewelry's "Liquid Fire" as inspiration.

il_570xN.250299797.jpg

Another is to avoid contrasting elements altogether by having a low-profile setting, like this ring I found on the blog Salon Thesis. Actually more like a virtual setting.

274719645993063929.jpg

Now, imagine that ring with three pearls.

IMG_1711.jpg

Of course, why limit my option to a set of ring and earrings? I really admire some of the mixed strands I've seen in PG, and a dark strand may be what my gSSPs need to stand out.

IMG_1708.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
I like the "liquid fire" ring setting. I'm impressed with how creative and open minded you are regarding settings. I wouldn't have thought of any of these!

It depends partly on whether you want something which you will wear every day (go for earrings and simple design ring or pendant on necklace or bracelet for a single pearl) or something which is much more of a showstopper but which will be for 'best'

I don't really own a set (ring/earrings, pendant/earring), but my pearl and non-pearl jewelry complement one another.

These gSSPs, along with my Akoya necklace, are my "grown-up" pearls. I see myself wearing these to presentations, conferences, and cocktails with clients, something that helps project an image of a sophisticated and self-assured team leader.

It shouldn't be an everyday look, but it shouldn't be too rich or loud either. I should be able to wield pen, phone, and laptop without them getting in the way.

I'm asking for a lot, aren't I?

How about earrings and an enhancer for when you really want to pearl-up and then the enhancer can be a simple pendant on a chain for everyday?

That liquid fire setting is absolutely beautiful, it really appeals to me. Nice find!

Based on what you want, I like Wendy's idea for the enhancer/earrings. I do the same thing with one of my bigger pearls.

Now that I have seen that liquid fire ring, I want it -- and it's all your fault!

Wow... i am so envious of the color! heehee...wish i could or rather the supplier i am waiting for will be able to find one close to that..:)

luvvvit! and loving the fire ring too! ;)

Beautiful pearls there cyndayco!! Drops of gold!! They are gorgeous and I hope you find the perfect design to show off their beauty.

Reminds me of a SSP (about 15.3 mm) that we had just clicked pictures of before sending out recently.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 29
Amrita, that is quite a beauty. It's nearly impossible to find specimens like that in the 14mm and higher range.

When I was younger, I used to wonder what the big fuss was all about. Now I that I've seen and touched "quality pearls" (as our local vendors like to call them), I understand the obsession with such things. And to think, Greenhills pearls aren't even in the top percentile of quality.

Trouble though with gSSPs: they look so lovely on their own, it's hard to find settings that will raise them to higher level.

Oh, and GemGeek, I laughed out loud when I first read your reply. But I didn't know whether PG would allow posts solely made up of emoticons!

It's been a while, but I think we have had one or two like this...
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Here are the earrings!

(Please excuse the fingerprints. Too excited to wipe them clean.)

IMG_1891.jpgIMG_1897.jpg

As for the ring, it arrives next week. Can't wait!

Back