Loneliness is a Dangerous Thing

I wonder if Patty's thicker Serafil thread would do?

Alternatively you could try making a jeweler's knot-- it's the same as the regular overhand knot but you pass the needle through the knot a second time before tightening it. The knot is maybe 50% larger as a result.

Oh, and the pearls look fabulous! Actually from the photos the knots don't look too large.

Last edited:
Bravo, Amti, that looks gorgeous on you! A real statement! Glad the teal thread worked well. When I am working with Tahitians that have larger-than-average drill holes, I generally add a third thread, shown in these directions over on Pricescope, page 2. Or use a double strand of #40, so you are working with 4X 0.32mm threads, with the overhand knot method. (I don't know how the Jane Gordon method compares.) I still often test the knot size on a few pearls before I start a stringing job and make sure I can bring the thread back through the beginning and ending pearls without reaming.

Thank you! I like the strand a lot but didn't realize how heavy it would be. I had to take it off after an hour because my neck started hurting. There must be something seriously wrong with me, right?

Pearl Dreams, I think I tried that method too, but found the knots to be lopsided- possibly because of thread overload.

Pattye, I did think about doing a third strand and when all four strands could enter the pearl with no problem, that idea went out the door. I am really glad I took everyone's advice and tried the pearls out on different colors first because that showed me double stranding wouldn't work. I did check out your site Pattye after the knots slipped and realized my problem. I will have to order the thicker BS for the next stringing... does it come in teal? If not, I can do another color since I don't really notice the thread much.

I basically doubled the thread (used 6 times the length needed). Upon adding all the pearls to the double strand, I put the gimp and clasp and at the half strand location and started knotting. I used the overhand method twice, so it was like tying a shoelace, but making a knot. When I tied just one overhand knot, the pearl would still move, so just to be certain, I double tied it, which is why it is a bit bulky. But, they are definitely tight. The only part I had trouble with was at the end clasp. I couldn't thread the last thread into a pearl to hide it so it sticks out a tiny bit. For my first real stringing, I'm happy with the results and my necklace is definitely wearable! Thank you for your inspiration and help everyone! :D :D :D

I figured I was on a roll so I sat down and looked at my scrap chains. Most were too thin, but this one, although thin and only 14 inches, seemed lonely. So I added a keshi (I bought some in the same order). Cutting that chain took a lot of courage!

Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I'll either leave it or add a few more and make it a real tin cup. Having the extra length would be nice, but as-is, it would be cute for my daughter. I just need to see if she'll wear it first. ;) With the pearl in the center, should the wire rings be even and not at 90 degrees? I wish I could make smaller rings too, but that is as small as my ring pliers will go. I think once I lay the rings evenly, the pearl will sit nicer (hopefully).

Took the pictures at night with a flash so you can't see any of the pretty colors.
DSC06042.jpgDSC06050.jpg

Looking good amti! Love your new blue strand. The keshi tin cup is going to be gorgeous and suitable for everyday wear!

The knots look terrific. I think you will get used to them. Gorgeous pearls, and I love the keshi. Keep up the creativity! :)

I finished my tin cup a few days ago. I used a gold figaro chain and will eventually get a dark pearl pendant for the bottom. Right now, it has my wss pendant bound with a jump ring so it looks a bit funny. I may make the front chain, where the pendant sits, shorter because it looks off balance but the front and back lengths were made the same length, so that when doubled, no pearls would be on the back of my neck. The pearls are graduated in sizes 9, 10, 11, 10, 9, and 8mm- done this way so when doubled, the largest will sit in front.

I also ended up not using two of the pearls allocated for this project since it was getting too long. I guess I have another necklace to make! :D ;) :D ;) :D

DSC06065.jpgDSC06055.jpg

Oooooo, my favorite shades of blue, PLUS pearls. Well done!

Amti, your pearling adventures look wonderful! Such beautiful blues and teals ... and a keshi bonus :)

And you'll have a dark pendant? That will probably make my eyes pop! LOL

Thanks everyone! Remember, you all have been my inspiration to make these so thank you!

Yes, Pattye, it is wonderful to know you can change things around when you don't like it or get tired of it.

Gem Geek, yes, I am on the lookout for a nice blue pendant! The white ss was just temporary to show how I pictured it in my head, but it feels lonely without something hanging so for now, I'm using the white pearl. The ssp is also platinum, so the colors don't mesh but it'll have to do for now.

My daughter is coming home from college this weekend so I'll see what she says about the lone keshi and maybe it'll have a new look before the week is up!

Back