Loneliness is a Dangerous Thing

amti

I recently became an empty nester. My youngest left for college last month and I have become unemployed after being a full time mom/volunteer for 21 years. After saying I wouldn't be buying any pearls for a while, it only took me 2 1/2 weeks to break down. lol... I wasn't going to buy anything since having two kids in college was a burden in itself, but my husband was in China and wasn't able to come home in time to celebrate my birthday. So, what's a gal to do but buy her own bd gift, right? Thank you to all who have enabled me with your gorgeous creations and your belief that anyone could do the same (we shall find out if I fit that category). Thanks also to Jac for his patience and help in finding what I wanted. Here are my little girls. They hope to be a gorgeous strand and tin cup one day!

DSC05860.jpgDSC05846.jpg
The next big question is, how do I pick the right color thread with a colorful strand like this? Should I go with something a little darker or lighter?DSC05907.jpg

Whoa. Respectful silence.

I think you're supposed to go a teensy bit darker than, or match the darkest pearl, but you have so many choices...I'll leave this to someone with more experience.

I'd pick your favorite thread color from among the choices that you show. In fact, pick a few colors and order them so you can see them in person. Sarah at Kojima will knot on colors like bright pink, so it really is up to you.

I've seen Sarah's works and think they are really cool. I think I'm a bit too conservative for that though. I'm leaning towards the teal color(the color to the right of the center pearl) but think a shade or two darker and lighter might work too. I've never owned Tahitians and didn't realize all the color choices. These can be quite addicting!

Amti,

A well deserved, awesome Birthday Gift, gorgeous pearls! The traditional choice for thread would be to match or go a little darker. The knot is only going to be about 1mm. If you have a couple of choices of thread, you can knot up a few pearls, then cut them apart, once you see how they look.

I greatly admire Sarah's creativity with pearls and colorful thread!

Sarah does create some lovely pieces with bright thread

Love them! Jacques is as wonderful as his pearls are. Teal would be beautiful, I think.

Amti your new pearls are do beautiful! Pearls can indeed be comforting in stressful or lonely times :)

How enchanting! Pearl therapy is just the ticket. I can't wait to see what you do with them. :)

I feel your exact pain -- my baby girl just joined her brother in college. Your new "babies" are gorgeous! I look forward to watching your project progress. Pearls really are comforting and just such a joy all around.

I think it is brilliant that Sarah does this. For me it gives the illusion of gemstone bead spacers but without the expense. Even if that was not the intent, it makes a striking contrast.

I'd pick your favorite thread color from among the choices that you show. In fact, pick a few colors and order them so you can see them in person. Sarah at Kojima will knot on colors like bright pink, so it really is up to you.

Beautiful pearls! I'll go with dark blue or a neutral gray but I'm sure these beauties will look fab in all colors.

Pls show us neck shots when they are strung. :)

Thank you all. It was Jac that picked them. I just told him what I wanted and he graciously worked with me. I never realized how comforting pearl therapy could be.

Jersey Pearl, the strand pearls are near rounds and vary from 8-12mm. I purchased a mini drop lot and am using some of them in the back near the clasp. I never wear my hair up, so I focused more on the front pearls, where I will see them. For the tin cup pearls, I got drops and ovals.

Black Pearl Dude, you're right! Her creations do look like little gems in the strand! They are eye catching and make a very nice statement. If I had several strands I would definitely do a strand with my favorite color.

BAS, I feel your pain! I hope your kids are close enough to see you often. My daughter is six hours away, and son is two hours away. I can't do the six hours, but have done the two hour drive a few times already, mainly to bring his dog to see him. Son is in the corps at A&M so he won't be able to come home until mid October. Even the pups miss the kids.

I took everyone's advice and ordered three colors: teal, navy and the power pro dark green. They are all a little darker than the pearls, and I'll do what Pattye suggested and knot a few with the different colors and see how they look. I strung them on regular thread last night and gave them a bath. They looked amazing strung. I also decided to remove two pearls because the strand was a bit too long. I'm going to have to find something new for those pearls!

Pearl therapy is great!

Beautiful pearls! What size range are they? I would use teal, dark blue or medium gray thread.

Sounds like you are having great fun with your 'therapy pearls'!
They are beautiful and I look forward to the neck shots.

I'm finally done. Well, for now. ;)

Jersey Pearl, I'm one of those oddballs that never got her ears pierced so I need clipons, which are uncomfortable and bulky. I really should pierce my ears... pierced earrings are so pretty and are great accessories.

KaySD, they range from 8mm- almost 13. The largest measured at 12.78mm with my husband's super duper caliper.

I strung with both navy and teal and decided I liked the teal a tiny bit better, although either color looked good.

However, I miscalculated, or rather, didn't think about the hole size vs thread knot size. My holes were .8mm and knotting Beader's Secret on a double strand wouldn't hold. I never thought of that until I encountered the knots slipping into the hole with a slight tug. I ended up doubling my doubled thread (4 strands) and double knotting each pearl using Jane Gordon's technique. The end result works but the knots are a bit big so I will redo them with thicker thread when I get tired of looking at them.

Pearls before stringing on temp strand.
DSC05972.jpg
After stringing... I decided I like less thread between the pearls.
DSC06035.jpg
Closeup of the thread
DSC06013.jpg

Back