got tiaras?

Wow.. what a gift to read this~! I was so shy for days to even open this thread. I am so happy to have another 361 days to work out my grand plans. My offer still stands for the prize, and now I have so much time to collect more special pieces to sweeten the pot~
MAY THE GAMES RE-BEGIN!
Thank you for the extension!
Cheers, Sarah

the stages of a tiara (which turned into a crown)

the stages of a tiara (which turned into a crown)

I thought I would share these photos of how we made this "tiara"... which in the making of, morphed in a pearl "crown".
I started out with some heavy gauge steel wire (from the hardware store), and measured it around my own head. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to "apply" the pearls, and cover up the ugly wire. We decided to make two lengths of a base to give stability... and that worked well, but now I know that the base wire has to be bigger than your head.. because the more decoration you add.. it shrinks. I had originally envisioned the center piece to sit on and just above the forehead.. but as the tiara shrunk into a crown, the whole piece took on new "visions". For the center piece I took apart an old South Sea shell necklace and attached it with copper wire, I also took apart some fun costume jewelry earrings and harvested the gold vermeil floral bits to frame the pearls. We wrapped lavender color nylon thread around the base wires and threaded all different sorts of pearls between the two base wires. For the finale I pegged and glued in a striking coupling of a natural color metallic free form Chinese fresh water pearl and a lovely Sea of Cortez mabe.
The was just the first attempt here.. I plan to make more of these head pieces.. It was really really fun to make this.. and not half as much fun as it was to watch different people at the Pearl Ruckus try it on. For more photos of that you can visit my blog, where I posted my favorites.
The second head piece (which will hopefully STAY a tiara) is already in the works. I hope this will inspire some of you... and remember to allow enough length for the finishing!
Cheers, Sarah

Attachments

• tiara4.jpg
    tiara4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 62
  • tiara3.jpg
    tiara3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 51
  • tiara1.jpg
    tiara1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 62
  • tiara2.jpg
    tiara2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
Wow Sarah! Loved to see how you worked your way to elaborate everybody's favorite Pearl Tiara :)
Everyone at the Pearl Ruckus Loved it!

That Tiara/Crown was the hit of the Ruckus!! It brought the royal out in us all.

Hey, I'm glad this thread got bumbed :)

I've been working on a tiara most of the day - instead of painting the front door :rolleyes:

Peter (husband):
"What was that again?"
"A tiara? Why?"
"Fun?!"

Both kids gives the result so far much praise and I have promised my daughter that she will get to model.

- Karin

Okay, here we go... My own rules were that the tiara should be made from low cost materials that I already had. The three Tahiti pearls are perhaps not quite within limit but they are not great quality.

I have used copper wire to make the shape, forming the tall parts on the first run through and adding a bit of strength by adding a few more layers of copper at the buttom. The pearls are attached with pinkish silk thread and fixed on the back with clear nail polish. Most of the pearls are small, round, peacock dyed freshwater pearls.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Ariel - incarnated as Ida, age 7

attachment.php
attachment.php

- Karin

Looks Fabulous on your little Princess!!!

Cheers

Great to see your Avatar up close Karin !!

Good luck in the competition :cool:

Hey, I'm glad this thread got bumbed :)

I've been working on a tiara most of the day - instead of painting the front door :rolleyes:

Peter (husband):
"What was that again?"
"A tiara? Why?"
"Fun?!"

Both kids gives the result so far much praise and I have promised my daughter that she will get to model.

- Karin

I had to laugh! Some men just don't get it but thankfully, they put up with it. Lil' one's got an impish grin that says P-R-I-D-E.

r

Just a little refresher on the very liberal "RULES" poster way back on this thread ~ let's get busy!

Giving this thread a bump and relisting the, ahem, rules--

OK! It's official then! TIARA/BILLIMENT/CORONET/CROWN Design Contest!

How do these work for "rules"?

1. Design and create the adornment of your choice, using pearls as your primary gems.

2. Other gemstones and materials can be included.

3. Post pictures, or drawings, detailing the materials used and any design challenges. A picture of you wearing your creation would be delightful!

4. Contest starts now, and will end on Feburary 14, 2012. Valentine's Day will be perfect to make our debut in our new Pearl Adornments!

5. ALL contestants will receive an award (not yet decided on) for participating!

6, Multiple entries allowed. Previously made items allowed!

Any suggestions and comments? These rules can be modified! I hope this will give us something fun to work on through those dreary days of January!

Well, I've reviewed this thread, and because most of us did not get past procrastination, I think we should declare a tie, with KarinK and Ivona the winners. Wendy disqualified herself, but I must say, she some delightful, prize-worthy pieces listed on her website, see the link 4 posts above.

SOOOO, unless anyone has an objection, I hereby declare the contest closed!

CONGRATULATIONS, IVONA AND KARIN!

Please pm me your addresses, so Sarah and I can mail your prizes to you!

Back