Converting earrings to necklace?

Ren

Hello pearl fans!
My name is Ren, I'm new here. First post! :D

I was on Oahu a few weeks ago, and wanted to bring back a special gift. Thanks to tips obtained on this site, I purchased two black pearls at Margo (a.k.a Tahiti Pearl Market) in Honolulu. The pearls are dark, 9mm in size, and mounted as very simple stud earrings. I'm fairly sure they're drilled.

Turns out the lady's ears rarely show, and a necklace would be more appropriate for her. How difficult is it to convert those 2 pearls into a necklace? I've looked at some designs, but most necklaces I've seen appear to have an odd number of pearls. What's a classic design for 2 pearls on a necklace? I just have no idea.

I live in San Francisco, and while I'm at it... I'd love a recommendation for a shop that can do this work. :) Feels like this site has already hooked me up with some pearls, you can be trusted!

BTW I must mention that shopping at Margo/Tahiti Pearl Market was a 5-star shopping experience. Manager Keoni Wheatley is very knowledgeable, patient, helpful, super friendly. Bilingual English-French. And bona fide! He grew up in Tahiti and is a member of the family that operates the pearl farms. I stayed in Tahiti myself circa 2000, and we shared some memories of the place: Guynette's on Huahine! Ahhh, it was a fun trip down memory lane, and a very pleasant shopping experience. I'll be back.

Ren, Welcome!

Glad to hear you had a wonderful shopping experience at Margo!

I highly recommend Sarah of Kojima Pearls, one of our members here, to help you convert your pearls into a necklace.

One style that comes to mind is a chain lariat, with the 2 pearls at different lengths. I'll see if I can add a pic later. (Getting orders ready to ship today.)

Here is a beautiful lariat or Y necklace of Sarah's. You can easily imagine another chain dropping down at a different length with a 2nd pearl.

Last edited:
Sarah's lariat is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the link, Pattye.

Sarah also has loose pearls that you can add if you want more pearls. Love Sarah and she does wonderful work. She has a sale going right now too.

Or, keep the earrings as is, and add a pendant to match. It's always nice to have a set, even if the hair mostly keeps the ears hidden.

Ren, another option might be to change the pearls from stud earrings to drops, which often show up much bolder, and with more movement when worn.

Ren, welcome! I agree with Cathy -- consider turning them into dangles (does she tend to wear stud earrings or dangles or both?). You can keep it super simple with a clean shepherd's hook or look through findings and get a bit of glitz with tiny diamonds.

Let us know what you decide and have fun making choices.

Back