A Beader Special

jshepherd

We are trying to put something together for the PG beaders. We picked up about 20-25 kilos of stuff earlier in the year with this idea in mind and I think now we would a good time with Christmas on the way.

Do we have enough DIY-ers here? What would you like to see? We are setting up groups of loose hanks and loose pearls - that is a given. But anything else? Threads? Needles?

How about little gold crimp covers for when we aren't using silk? For folding over the knot or hiding the crimp with? I don't like mixing vermeil with precious metal.
The only crimp covers I can find are closed round systems.
barbie

Last edited:
I know I am now on the perpetual outlook for really tiny pearls for my languishing project/s. Also wire needles are always useful, beeswax, little/portable containers to hold and organize.

How about thread zapper, affordable 14K magnetic clasps, 14K bullion/gimp? Thank you.

Wow, that is totally awesome!!! I would ask for bulk or unfinished 14k chain please! clasps, and pearl washers - the things you can stick into pearls for cords, chains etc., and wider drilled loose pearls as well as regular. Thanks for asking.

How about little gold crimp covers for when we aren't using silk? For folding over the knot or hiding the crimp with? I don't like mixing vermeil with precious metal.
The only crimp covers I can find are closed round systems.
barbie

Rio Grande has 14k crimp covers.

As far as real gold french wire, it doesn't exist, so....... I make it myself.

I use 22k wire, 30 gauge or thinner. To make the coil, just wrap it tightly around a sewing needle (a paper clip is fine, too). Carefully slide the wire off the needle and ...... voila.

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
I will definitely check out whatever you choose to offer! 14k chain would be nice, I agree.

As far as real gold french wire, it doesn't exist, so....... I make it myself.

I use 22k wire, 30 gauge or thinner. To make the coil, just wrap it tightly around a sewing needle. Carefully slide the wire off the needle and ...... voila.

Gail

Wow -- problem solved! You have the best ideas. ;)

There's one item I'd be interested in, if anyone knows about it...last year, I bought a necklace of lovely multicolor Tahitian circle pearls when I was on Rangiroa, very nice quality. I was sure it was knotted on black silk until I looked closely and discovered very tiny black spacer beads between the pearls. They didn't look like any sead beads I've ever seen, more of a very tiny disk shape, but not totally regular - they really gave the look of a knotted strand. They're not delicas or seed beads. My guess would be that they are made of shell or some sort of plastic. I guess there's even a possibility they are coconut shell. I can try to take a super close-up with my macro lens when I get home. Anybody ever encountered this before?

Sheri

Hi Jeremy
How about some mixed bags of odds and ends of unmatched, oddball shapes, with a variety in size, quality and color?

We are putting together bags of undrilled drops to go at 100 to 200 grams per bag.

We are also thinking of doing the strands in bundles. The bundles we are putting together are all smooth drops, the best beading materials.

You'll like this one, Caitlin. It will be a lot better than Tucson because it will all be at cost - in China.

That's amazing and thoughtful! I don't know if you ever use head pins, but they'd be an very handy addition if you really wanted to go beyond pearls. Honestly though, I think finding worthy pearls is always the toughest part and we all know your peerless skills are in that department.

Are you planning to sell them at Pearl Paradise, or will it be a private offer sort of thing?

We just finished sorting them into bundles. I think the easiest thing to do is just list them as is, not add any other accoutrements. Natalie is going to shoot them and see how they turn out.

No! It will not be on Pearl Paradise. This is only going to be a private thing.

I'd be very interested in strands, but anything undrilled would just be a desk toy for me - I am nowhere near ready to try my hand at drilling (although I wield a mean reamer...)

Jeremy, thanks for thinking of the LBs!

I figured that would be the case for most with the drops. But I also figured it was Christmas maybe people could figure out things to do with them. A 200-gram bag is quite a lot of loose pearls and since they cost next to nothing, I figured people could get creative. Just don't ask me to drill them;)

Undrilled? <chokes> gack, ick, blech.

Are the strands drilled?

Do you mean drops, like that special you had?

What's the day?

Back