A Beader Special

Thanks for the offer Wendy and thanks Sheryl for the Rio Grande prompt, I completely forgot about them.

I've been giving this some thoughts, maybe silver that's been platinum or rodium plated might be a better option than argentium silver?

I've been giving this some thoughts, maybe silver that's been platinum or rodium plated might be a better option than argentium silver?

Would you mind sharing details on where to obtain rhodium plated silver wire and findings, as I do not know of any?

Thanks in advance.

DK :)

Last edited:
Try G&S Gold in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They also carry "extra white gold" which doesn't require plating.

Try G&S Gold in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They also carry "extra white gold" which doesn't require plating.

Unfortunately, the range is very limited, hence I have not purchased anything in that range.

Is the "extra white" from additional zinc? If so, I'd be very interested to see how those with metal sensitivities tolerate it. I looked up 19k white gold, which is apparently a plateless alloy, and saw one mention of a metal sensitive person finding it to be a satisfactory alternative to platinum.

I wish I could find those little thin loops used for huggy charms in white gold. Has anyone happened across a source for those?

I wish I could find those little thin loops used for huggy charms in white gold. Has anyone happened across a source for those?

I can't visualise what you meant, please could you post a pic to that I can appreciate what you are looking for?

I can't visualise what you meant, please could you post a pic to that I can appreciate what you are looking for?

KSinger's Freshadama earrings have a dainty ring like what I'm thinking of, minus the diamond fitting. Pearl Paradise has a similar fitting on their charm-ing freshwaters.

Basically it's a ring with a peg but no cap. Very clean, no wire wrapping and no gap. I suspect it would be easy to fabricate if I had more experience with metal, but as we've mentioned, the plate on white gold complicates everything.

That's such a small amount of metal, perhaps I should just look to platinum because you can find anything in platinum... but I suspect it would be hard on the plate on my little WG hoops.

White metal is a harsh mistress, but my predicament is less acute now that I've decided that two of the sets of pearls I wanted to put those findings on need to find a new home.

One pair is relatively well-matched pink kasumi from one of DruzyDesign's ministrands, the other I'm going to have to post here and ask about. They're pale green and metallic silver small baroques... might even be little keshis. I'll be curious to see what people think. They're very foil-ish for freshwaters. I'd ponder them forever, but I need to pay for books. :D

Last edited:
Lauren,

Found this one in Rio Grande in WG, however, the hole does not appear to be very big:

14k WG Screw Eye

If the link does not work, try using "Screw Eye" as search words.

I bought the undrilled multicolour pearls 7,5-8,5 mm and I'm surprised about how nice most of them are. Some of them looks even like exotics to me, which is why I'm planning to sort out all the extra ordinary ones, drill them and make a really nice necklace with rare colours.

Me, my boyfriend and his dad have found out a way to drill the pearls. We use a watchmakers drill! It takes ages to drill but it's all worth it.

So now we've started to sort of the nicest pearls and we've drilled a few. It goes quite well, actually. Since lots of people here seem to be curious about how to drill pearls I came up with the idea to post a tutorial. Just one warning, it's probably going to be useless unless you have a watchmakers drill but hopefully at least someone will find it interesting. I'll see if I make one or not.

I ordered some silk and needles today and I'll try out knotting again... I hope it'll go well this time.

I think that if I do manage to knot properly it should make a really nice strand.

Back