Up for auction

Slraep

Magnificent Pearl Guru
Can anyone say more about this Sotheby's item?

"A Rare and Unique Set of Natural Pearl Necklace and Earrings (est. HK$6.7 ? 7.8 million) will undoubtedly highlight the sale. 10 strands of petite natural purple seed pearls intertwine with lines of white diamonds; 7 large natural sea pearl drops (ranging in size from 10.00mm?12.95mm X 15.95mm to 10.95mm-13.20 X 22.65mm) suspend elegantly from the necklace, matching the natural sea pearl earrings perfectly."

Attachments

• 36732291.jpg
    36732291.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 27
There is a little more on the catalog:

The seed pearls are of pink to purplish-green hues measuring approximately 2.84 to 3.84 mm,linked by pear-shaped, oval and rose-cut diamonds, each within a conforming surround of pav?-set brilliant-cut diamonds, terminated to the back with two drop-shaped pearls each within a diamond-set frame, length approximately 400 mm; and pair of matching pendent earrings, each suspending a drop-shaped pearl of matching size and colour, to a diamond-set surmount of matching design, the diamonds altogether weighing approximately 24.99 carats, mounted in 18 karat white gold. (2)

And the lot is accompanied by G?belin reports numbered 0903501 and 0903502, stating that the nine pearls are natural saltwater pearls, purple and green colours, with no indications of colour enhancement, the small pearls also identified at random as natural pearls.

Nothing about its origin or history.

It's a beautiful thing isn't it?

I can't really guess at this point. Are the large pearls some kind of Tahitian or SS since they are saltwater? And where do you find those little purple ones? I know it doesn't have any further info. Just curious.

barbie

I don't have any further info either. It's quite outstanding, isn't it? Looks like something that should have been worn by a middle eastern princess! Hope somebody else is better at researching than me. I'd love to know its history.

It looks too fussy for my liking, sorry!

DK :)

Small pearls make me think of natural Baja California pearls,
May be Douglas could confirm or not

Small pearls make me think of natural Baja California pearls,
Maybe Douglas could confirm or not

That's what first came to mind too, that they may be Sea of Cortez pearls. The seed pearls can easily be natural P. sterna or mazatlantica, but the big drops, those would be rare. 13 x 22mm is pretty big for a P. sterna.

Slraep

Last edited:
Wish the future owner will be curious about their origin too!

The closest I can come to a guess is by 'bundling' similarly looking pearls (by color and shape, and the apparent 'mix' of sizes apparent in jewelry - assuming maximum use was always sought out of whatever the sum total 'production' might have looked like) appearing in jewelry from 1850 onwards. That sometimes these are associated with conch seems intriguing - suggests both types were 'on the table' from ready sources.

This story suggests 'Cortez' too...

Would any other black or rainbow lip fisheries fit the period?

Sure enough, the rationale is inspired by the difficulties of mixing materials from various competing sources in jewelry today. It simply seems to be one enduring reality.

Would not bet on anything - just tought it is an interesting way of looking at easy 'evidence'. It would be nice to have hard results to check against.

The pearls look like Mexican Black pearls...mostly from Pinctada mazatlanica, but a few (the earrings) hint of Pteria sterna. Just the way the colors dribble from top to bottom makes me believe this (have seen it too often on our pearls).

Glad to see you're back Slraep!

Back