Take a fresh look at pearls

Good work, Nerida! Must say, that cartoon drawing, if that is supposed to be you, does not in any way properly represent your beauty, nor the pearls you wear!

Great article Nerida but I must agree those cartoon author pics have got to go!

Nerida, Top article. When I first starting buying and then listing on eBay freshwater pearls were looked down on and I must admit I was no different. In the last few years they have come leaps and bounds and many, many are better than most saltwater pearls offered but buyers are prejudiced against them. They still think they are inferior, second class pearls which is not at all the case.

Congratulations on your studies and thanks for pointing out the problems. But how do we actually get this across to the general public.

A few months ago I went into a jewellers in Murray Bridge wanting some work done on a ring i.e. replacing 2 lousy Akoya pearls with 2 natural pearls and they talked about how it could not be done and they could supply me with alternative pearls - pearl plated of course. I truly could not get across to them the idea that the pearls I had were natural pearls. They did not understand what I was talking about.

Because I was in my wheelchair and had already been treated like a second class citizen in a clothing shop I just could not be bothered trying to "make" them understand that we were talking a different pearl language and gave up. Two towering idiots over me was more than I could handle at the time.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Great article! Exactly what I have been thinking. They made me tone down the poster presentation on metallic pearls as if I was just making a wild assumption about them, but now they are everywhere.

You are so in touch with the current market. It's exciting to see you in print! :)

Congratulations Nerida!
I'm with Pattye, the cartoon drawing must go :)

Nice work, Nerida and I also agree about the cartoon :)

Dawn, so sorry about your experience with the towering idiot duo!

I enjoyed reading the article. Very nice work except for the cartoon.

Love it!

Love it!

Love the article.

That was my feeling exactly when I participated in an online Pearl Forum organized in Hong Kong back in 2011 (I still have the audio file, in case some of you want it). All speakers (all very prominent) were completely ignoring the increasing importance (and sales volumes) of FWP. Some presenters were even mocking it for not being up to standard. Here is what I wrote to the organizers when they asked me for feedback:

"The conference was interesting, but I was a bit disappointed with the attitude of the speakers towards freshwater pearls that make up for the largest part of the pearl market. Also, to my surprise, there was no representative for FWP to counterbalance negative opinions of the speakers."

Thank you for speaking out loud. :)

Hi Dawn, just noticed your post above about your most unpleasant experience with condescending know-it-all (know nothing) jewellers.
I also came across your post from a couple of years ago asking if anyone can refer a good manufacturing /repair jeweller in Aust.

Here's a tip: Find out which jewellers have a laser-welder.
This miracle of modern technology can often allow minute repair and refurbishments to be done with stones in place.
These welders are expensive at $20,000 plus, so it's usually the successful and advanced technicians who care about doing detailed work who have them.
Ask if they'll let you see it in action, the job is done under a microscope, to direct the laser with total precision, and they can do things once impossible.
The laser weld is localised, and so short that the heat doesn't spread away from the repair site.

Recently I had the bail reattached to a Liberty enamel pendant, 1cm away from the enamel central plaque.
That would be impossible with traditional methods, because enamel (like pearls) can't take the heat of a gas torch.

Another tip you'll probably already know. Be very, very specific about what you want done. I often write out my job details before I go in.
Then ask if you can go over the job details with the technician doing the job, not just the "take-in" person on the counter or front desk, and don't take "no" for an answer.

My pet bug-bear with my local guys, who are very good, is that no matter how many times I tell them, they still want to polish up every piece to look like "new" when they're finishing them.
It's their training kicking in. Give it back to the customer looking shiny-shiny. They struggle with the concept that I want to keep 100 years of patina!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your comments. The article was written as a request from Jeweller Magazine after I wrote to the editor complaining about an article published in a previous issue - written by the Gemmological Association of Australia. The image shown, and the connotations raised, perpetuated the myth of CFWP being dull and misshapen and not worth a second glance by any jeweler worth his while! The May issue of the Magazine had a whole lot of pearl suppliers here in Australia (myself included) talking up the industry, so I was a bit surprised at the subsequent negative article.

Good work, Nerida! Must say, that cartoon drawing, if that is supposed to be you, does not in any way properly represent your beauty, nor the pearls you wear!

Thank you Pattye! I was kind of appalled by the caricature!! I have been interstate on and off for the past few weeks, and only received my print copy of the magazine yesterday (Saturday) - I turned quickly to where I knew the article was to be published and just about broke into hysterics! One of my best buddies was with me at the time and she is still asking me when I am going to complain about the image! My daughter just laughed.... can't control some things, I guess!

I have had some success here in having a few high end jewelers take up the mantle and sell round, nucleated metallic strands alongside their South Sea offerings. I look forward to seeing more of them in store, and hopefully educate their consumers about these gorgeous gems.
Thanks Jeremy for posting the link... couldn't you have deleted the pic, though???

Love the article.

Thank you for speaking out loud. :)

Thank you - the points you raised are precisely the reason I wrote this, and I was very flattered to have been asked by Jeweller Magazine to contribute...

Nerida, Top article. When I first starting buying and then listing on eBay freshwater pearls were looked down on and I must admit I was no different. In the last few years they have come leaps and bounds and many, many are better than most saltwater pearls offered but buyers are prejudiced against them. They still think they are inferior, second class pearls which is not at all the case.

Congratulations on your studies and thanks for pointing out the problems. But how do we actually get this across to the general public.

A few months ago I went into a jewellers in Murray Bridge wanting some work done on a ring i.e. replacing 2 lousy Akoya pearls with 2 natural pearls and they talked about how it could not be done and they could supply me with alternative pearls - pearl plated of course. I truly could not get across to them the idea that the pearls I had were natural pearls. They did not understand what I was talking about.

Because I was in my wheelchair and had already been treated like a second class citizen in a clothing shop I just could not be bothered trying to "make" them understand that we were talking a different pearl language and gave up. Two towering idiots over me was more than I could handle at the time.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Dawn, this is precisely the problem - and I guess what I am saying in the article is how we do get to the general public - wholesale suppliers like myself have to educate retailers, and arm retailers with the confidence and information necessary to confidently sell to the end users - ie, the general public. The better educated the retailers are, the more likely they are to sell the product, the more of it is in the general population... etc, etc.
I feel your pain, though! Just the other day I was treated pretty much like excrement when calling one of the top jewelers in Australia... won't name names..

Last edited:
Excrement! Yes, it's hard not to take it personally, but I am sure you have a great approach. It's their loss.

Well done Nerida! I had no idea how things are done in Australia re freshwaters. It was a good article and it sounds like an excellent cause. I hope you are able to drum up more opportunities for this kind of article or even talks. Is there a cultured pearl association as in the US? Maybe you could found one.

Your pearls are some some of the most beautiful, carefully picked pearls I have seen and have such unusual colors. I remember the strand you brought to the ruckus that I put on and wore for hours- overnight, in fact! The colors were astounding. It was hard to even name the basic color - a kind of peachy taupe- with all kinds of overtones!

And, in person, you are very beautiful, elegant, and refined with none of the coarseness in that cartoon. Too bad. A good caricature is funny, but that looks more like someone who should be armed with a frying pan, lol.

Excrement! Yes, it's hard not to take it personally, but I am sure you have a great approach. It's their loss.

Haha, maybe 'excrement' was a little harsh... Anyhow I have taken it on as a challenge to get my stock into their store.

Caitlin, thank you, that is very sweet... I am glad no one has yet said that it is a great likeness!
And no, no CPAA-type association here in Oz.. Definitely a shame, and maybe I could drum up some help to get one started!

Last edited:
Back