• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

BWeaves

That sounds like a fun idea to do a shawl swap. Does it end up being like those Christmas exchanges where your choice might be taken from you?!:eek:

No, actually, they are what we call sample exchanges. We weave sample fabric for everyone in the exchange, along with instructions on how to reproduce the fabric. Then we usually weave 3 finished items (shawls, scarves, hand towels, etc.), and keep one for ourselves and swap two. To avoid people picking their favorite and then the people who get picked last feeling unloved, we've gone to drawing lots. We number each of the shawls, and each person draws a number from the bag, and you get the shawl with that number. Afterwards, if you want to swap with someone else and they are willing, you can.

morella

BWeaves, I absolutely adore your Tahitian and opal earrings, these earring fittings are just the best.
I saw them being called Herradura in the Sea of Cortez shop - how your you guys call them? They never show up in my searches ("horseshoe earring .." nope).

Lugana

I saw them being called Herradura in the Sea of Cortez shop - how your you guys call them? They never show up in my searches ("horseshoe earring .." nope).
Would "leverback earrings" or "english lock earrings" return the desired results to you?.. Sorry if I misunderstood your question :)

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
BWeaves, I absolutely adore your Tahitian and opal earrings, these earring fittings are just the best.

I dug up this old photo BWeaves posted of her lovely opal and Tahitian earrings so I could see the finding:

BWeaves's opal and Tahitian earrings.jpg

I see images on Etsy, Tahitianpearls.biz and Stuller calling this a "horseshoe leverback" (with ring).

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
GSS love being in the sun!
And Tahitians love being in the shade.

This is why we need lots of different kinds of pearls. :D

jeg

Traveling Pearl
BWeaves- that sounds like a very well-thought and fair way of exchanging. Thanks for the explanation.

Pearl Dreams- gotta love having options!

battah

Catching up on all of your beauties, too many to reply to! But BW I just love the everything bagel rope, it sure hits the spot. Hope everyone is having a lovely spring!!

BWeaves

And now for something completely different. Mom's Lapis and pearl necklace. I'm sure these are akoyas based on the size of the pearls and the age of the necklace (1980s or 90s?).

fullsizeoutput_63b.jpg

I've always felt like this necklace would look so much better with bigger pearls. I think if I restring this one, I'll get some nice big metallic freshwater pearls. What do you think?

And one of my handwoven shawls.

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
Gorgeous lapis!

I could see going larger with the pearls, but I could also see eliminating the gold beads and instead having groupings of smaller round white pearls to alternate with the groupings of lapis.

Metallic FWP tend to be off-round and they are less white than some other FWP, so I would reconsider that.

BWeaves

Well, the akyoa pearls are pinked and I just feel like they don't go with the blue and golden flecks in the lapis. The gold beads pick up some of the gold flecks in the lapis. Pearls that are a bit more golden might work. It's something I can play with for the future. There's only 8 pearls. Also, regular freshies might look better than metallics on second thought. You're right.

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
BWeaves, GSS would be amazing, if you could get some loose ones. Mine were from Cees.

Of course the budget for the project would be affected. :eek:

JerseyPearl

Budget? Why my brain simply refuses to hear such harsh language...

BWeaves, that necklace is gorgeous. I like where you're going with goldens. I would opt for some baroque shapes to break up the roundness. I'd keep the gold beads, but maybe scatter them around a bit. I'd love to know what type of clasp it has. And wow, your mother's taste in jewelry was fantastic.

And I almost forgot to comment on your fabulous shawl! Love it.

Last edited:

BWeaves

There's no clasp on the lapis rope. The neck / back side has more lapis beads in a row. Plus, the gold rondelles are asymmetrically placed.

I thought about using golden SS pearls, but it's really not one of my favorite necklaces, so I don't want to overspend on the pearls, if I replace them. But the necklace does need restringing, so while I'm at it. Ha. I'll have to check if Pattye has Beader's Secret in royal blue, because the cord it's currently strung on is an intense royal blue. Then again, if I replace the pearls with ones I love, I'm more likely to wear it more often.

Also, I might put a gold orbit clasp on it if I restring it. Well, this turned into a rabbit hole.

UPDATE: Yup, Pattye stocks royal blue. Future sale coming.

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
BWeaves, if you want to make the restringing project more budget friendly, you don't have to put a pricey gold orbit clasp on it. You could use an infinity connector instead, and attach the gimp to either side just the same as you would a clasp. Since you are slipping it over your head it does not need a clasp:

Here is what Rio has to offer (they call it an infinity component):
https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=...pageNum=1&pageSize=32&sort=1&t=2&isSort=False

Ebay has some too. I imagine Etsy does as well. Or use any other kind of connector that appeals to you; I'm sure there are other shapes instead of the infinity shape. For that matter you could make one out of wire. You just need a loop on each end large enough to accommodate your gimp.

For that matter you could skip the finding and string it endlessly. See my (newly improved) instructions here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...Beaders-Secret&p=106200&viewfull=1#post106200

Last edited:

BWeaves

Thanks. My non-clasp knotting skills aren't quite as good as my knotting with a clasp skills.

I kept typing snotting skills. Sheesh.