Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

GSS love being in the sun!
And Tahitians love being in the shade.

This is why we need lots of different kinds of pearls. :D

BWeaves- that sounds like a very well-thought and fair way of exchanging. Thanks for the explanation.

Pearl Dreams- gotta love having options!

Catching up on all of your beauties, too many to reply to! But BW I just love the everything bagel rope, it sure hits the spot. Hope everyone is having a lovely spring!!

And now for something completely different. Mom's Lapis and pearl necklace. I'm sure these are akoyas based on the size of the pearls and the age of the necklace (1980s or 90s?).

fullsizeoutput_63b.jpg

I've always felt like this necklace would look so much better with bigger pearls. I think if I restring this one, I'll get some nice big metallic freshwater pearls. What do you think?

And one of my handwoven shawls.

Gorgeous lapis!

I could see going larger with the pearls, but I could also see eliminating the gold beads and instead having groupings of smaller round white pearls to alternate with the groupings of lapis.

Metallic FWP tend to be off-round and they are less white than some other FWP, so I would reconsider that.

Well, the akyoa pearls are pinked and I just feel like they don't go with the blue and golden flecks in the lapis. The gold beads pick up some of the gold flecks in the lapis. Pearls that are a bit more golden might work. It's something I can play with for the future. There's only 8 pearls. Also, regular freshies might look better than metallics on second thought. You're right.

BWeaves, GSS would be amazing, if you could get some loose ones. Mine were from Cees.

Of course the budget for the project would be affected. :eek:

Budget? Why my brain simply refuses to hear such harsh language...

BWeaves, that necklace is gorgeous. I like where you're going with goldens. I would opt for some baroque shapes to break up the roundness. I'd keep the gold beads, but maybe scatter them around a bit. I'd love to know what type of clasp it has. And wow, your mother's taste in jewelry was fantastic.

And I almost forgot to comment on your fabulous shawl! Love it.

Last edited:
There's no clasp on the lapis rope. The neck / back side has more lapis beads in a row. Plus, the gold rondelles are asymmetrically placed.

I thought about using golden SS pearls, but it's really not one of my favorite necklaces, so I don't want to overspend on the pearls, if I replace them. But the necklace does need restringing, so while I'm at it. Ha. I'll have to check if Pattye has Beader's Secret in royal blue, because the cord it's currently strung on is an intense royal blue. Then again, if I replace the pearls with ones I love, I'm more likely to wear it more often.

Also, I might put a gold orbit clasp on it if I restring it. Well, this turned into a rabbit hole.

UPDATE: Yup, Pattye stocks royal blue. Future sale coming.

BWeaves, if you want to make the restringing project more budget friendly, you don't have to put a pricey gold orbit clasp on it. You could use an infinity connector instead, and attach the gimp to either side just the same as you would a clasp. Since you are slipping it over your head it does not need a clasp:

Here is what Rio has to offer (they call it an infinity component):
https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=...pageNum=1&pageSize=32&sort=1&t=2&isSort=False

Ebay has some too. I imagine Etsy does as well. Or use any other kind of connector that appeals to you; I'm sure there are other shapes instead of the infinity shape. For that matter you could make one out of wire. You just need a loop on each end large enough to accommodate your gimp.

For that matter you could skip the finding and string it endlessly. See my (newly improved) instructions here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...Beaders-Secret&p=106200&viewfull=1#post106200

Last edited:
Thanks. My non-clasp knotting skills aren't quite as good as my knotting with a clasp skills.

I kept typing snotting skills. Sheesh.

My 2 cents: Keep the gold beads because they pick up the gold flecks in that lovely lapis. Stay with white pearls, but bigger, so as to have a better pearl presence. Maybe an artfully random arrangement? Make the length so you can wear it doubled if you want. Always wear with that gorgeous blue and white dress :)

Looking forward to seeing how you change that up BWeaves!

Posting several pictures-

First, something new. A pretty necklace made of SOC from Kojima.
D0FD95A2-A868-4047-BC17-1C98EBC8D8E2.jpg

CE56E84D-E05B-4CFD-AFAF-383EC80647DB.jpg

Next, a pinky SOC pendant charm from Sarah. It’s tucked amongst my beach finds here.
53461A42-6276-47FD-B358-026011AED9E3.jpg

1F4C23FA-C93F-49D3-8081-7EA818C9A59C.jpg

And, heading to lunch with lots of layers. A silver T strand from PP, the “Seaglass” Tahitian strand from Kojima, and a SS and T ombré strand from Kojima.
453EA8D2-C35E-45AD-8F00-206AC5843E54.jpg

Love them all, jeg, especially the SoC and the many layers of Tahitians.

My Mother's Day gift to myself from PP on the VIP page. Two pipi stands (17" and 17.5") on my extender. The colors on these tiny pearls is glorious.

20180508_142455.jpg

Oh, I LOVE those, Red! Such great colors on you. Happy Mother’s Day!

Back