Save the Date: Pearl Guide Summer Ruckus 2011

What a beautiful venue for the event!

I sure hope everyone takes lots of pictures and video for us in the sticks.

One of these years...

Hi guys,

We are finally able to do a walk through on Tuesday (it is currently being rented so we can't examine the inside). A lot of people have been emailing me about accommodations, but I really need to take a good look at the place to see how many it will be able to accommodate. We *might* have to do a combination of hotel + mansion. But for the festivities and talks, we figured the mansion would do nicely!

As long as no one is out driving after the party. That's the need to know part for me! I am now an official Palos Verdes Peninsula resident (I guess that's PV to the locals), but there's no way I want to be driving home after the ruckus.

Hisano and I just did the full tour of the house and we definitely think it is going to work. We will need to bring in things like aero beds or other sleeping arrangements, but there is plenty of room. There is also a media room with a large screen that should work great for discussions! Oh, and the pool, hot tub, tennis courts ... it isn't a bad place to spend a weekend!

... and meals are now planned, in the Chateau. I am posting the menu just to tease those of you who aren't going to make it this year;)

Friday, July 22nd Dinner:
Passed appetizers:
• Caprese skewers with balsamic reduction (sun-dried tomatoes/mozzarella/basil)
• Bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with gruyere
Buffet:
• Panzanella salad (mixed greens with tomatoes and cubes of crusty bread) with
balsamic vinaigrette
• Herb and garlic marinated skirt steak
• Olive oil roasted chive fingerling potatoes
• Three cheese macaroni and cheese with a crisp panko crust
• Roasted asparagus with sea salt and garlic
• Individual cheesecakes with a blueberry coulis

Saturday, July 23rd Breakfast
Buffet:
• Summer vegetable frittata with basil/cilantro pesto
• Applewood smoked, thick-cut bacon
• Mini sweet peppers stuffed with turkey breakfast sausage
• Seasonal fruit salad (stone fruit, strawberries, etc) with buckwheat honey and
lime zest
• Assorted breads, croissants
• Coffee
Alderete, Inc. Catering

Saturday, July 23rd, Lunch:
Buffet:
• Butter lettuce, summer corn and cherry tomato salad with creamy herb
dressing
• Summer squash and basil-ricotta flatbread
• Rotisserie chicken salad sandwiches
• Mexican black bean salad with cilantro vinaigrette
• Peanut butter crispy bars

Saturday, July 23rd, French-themed dinner for 30:
Passed appetizers:
• Assorted cheese platter with crackers, crostini and fig jam
• Endive cups with lemony crab salad
• Smoked salmon cups with cr?me fraiche, chives
Buffet:
• Mixed baby green salad with champagne vinaigrette
• Wild mushroom and stilton galette
• Beouf bourguignon (Slow cooked French beef stew)
• Potato Au Gratin (Gratin Dauphinoise)
• Haricot verts (French green beans) w/ toasted almond slivers
• Individual flourless chocolate cake with strawberry sauce
Beer and wine service (pour service only; guest supplies alcohol)
Friday: Chef + 1 additional staff for appetizer service
Saturday breakfast & lunch: Chef + 1 additional staff
Saturday dinner: Chef + 3 additional staff (bar, appetizer, sous chef)

...and Pizza and Ice Cream for Sunday!!!

Really Jeremy...you'll spoil us all!!! Thank God I'm the only Mexican in the group...you would not be able to send us all Home after this Royal Treatment!!!
I will...don't worry...I would wither and die after a couple of months away from My Gulf of California.
;)

I'm dancing with anticipation. I will wear (tasteful) lightly sequined garments and different pearls with every outfit, every day and really dress up at night!

Oh goodness we are really going to be spoiled rotten plus pearls. What a weekend!

BYOB? - I can do that. Do we need to bring soda and coffee? Will there be ice? bottled water? The food sounds faboo. How luxurious! :cool:

Hands on workshops are being woven in, while we lounge around in chosen places.

Everyone who asked about hands-on workshops and/or wants to share techniques, still want to do it?
How about a Knotting Clinic, with Caitlin, Sarah, Hisano, and any other of our most experienced knotters. ... there are a few questions about attaching clasps, choosing thread.
. Also Sheri volunteered to show her wire knitting technique! Probably others will have something to share--like those who work with pearls and leather? Your thoughts??????
sounds like fun to me... I would love to learn the wire knitting, and it's always fun to learn other peoples "attachment" ideas. Can we schedule that long before the alcohol comes out though? :)

Sarah has offered to share some of her techniques. Hopefully Hisano, too. From there, it can branch into all the generalities and details surrounding making a pearl necklace or bracelet.
Sheri has offered to show wire knitting, What supplies do we need for Wire Knitting?
Or any other project along those lines? Let us know your idea and or question.
I hope we each bring some minimum of tools and materials for projects to practice knotting on and/or other stringing techniques.. So put a pack together, for this part.
Bring projects that are unfinished, or in a design stage, or with a problem or some challenge.... Any ideas along those lines.....
Bring projects on wire.
Any technique any of us uses is useful, like Marianne's bag!
Each thread has its uses, too.
Bring your favorite threads and needles,favorite findings, clasps, Let's share it all!
We can trade any information except Paspaley's secret knot:rolleyes:
Anyone have Henrietta Virchik's book or video? Or other good books?

My husband and I will be joining you at the ruckus. Look forward to meeting all of you. Wendy

Will we be able to go to Pearl Paradise for show and tell on Sunday again?

As far as bringing equipment & supplies, has anyone had experience with the cutting pliers on the plane? They have such a short blade, but would hate to have them confiscated.

Don't carry any tools over four cm in length, or anything with a blade. You might get away with it, but legally they are supposed to take them. You can check them in, of course.

Blaire, it isn't BYOB. Those were notes from the caterer;)

?it isn't BYOB.
Am feeling a bit remiss watching these plans unfold, as it is increasingly unlikely we will be able to come. But I would like to continue a tradition by offering a couple of whites and reds from our Spanish portfolio for Friday night and Saturday lunch (Saturday night for the frogs, or gavachos in Spain). If acceptable will arrange logistics with Jeremy.

Would have enjoyed trying that Baldwin piano in the corner?

Everyone have a great time.

Back