Repaired 2.2mm holes and story

pearl-man

I don't quite know which forum to post this story. Several years ago a jeweler customer of mine and I took a 15mm strand of So Sea in trade on a 17mm strand. Retail customer had three mystery clasps in her necklace so she could wear at 18-21 and 24 inches. Each mystery clasp section had two pearls and a third pearl and almost 2 inches long. I made the new necklace with the same configuration. A tragedy! For some time I wondered what to do with the 6 pearls with large holes 1.6 and 2.2 an 8mm deep (+/-) . I worked out a solution and I have tried to post here for some time. Alas I am new to Apple and have only mastered it a little and with any luck will post my results. Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpgIMG_2647.jpg

Attachments

• Savannah
    Savannah
    36.8 KB · Views: 41
the before and after shot of the pearl certainly looks impressive. the 'after' photo of the repaired pearl seems to have a better looking surface and better luster overall...so what did you do?

the pearl strand in the final image look spectacular

Last edited:
Your right about the pearl.....BUT my German sense of order makes its picture belonging-to another forum. You don't know how long and how many months passed with Apple classes
before I became moderately good at Iphoto and able to attached photos. I have zillions. I just love the Air. If you don't mind and I had your address I'd send you a recent article I worked on for the Wisconsin History Magazine detailing the "pearl rush" of 1890's. My pearls and Eve Dealfie's (sp) were used for the article. Quite a story.
Norm

Dear pearl-man, Your repair job is wonderful, very impressive. As a long time Mac user, welcome. I also share your trepidation about posting photos. Looks like you have mastered two tasks! Congratulations :)

Hi Norm!
That is fantastic looking! I can see the repair but it would not be noticed, if not pointed out. Leave the madama- it's gorgeous!

Jeremy
I have a copy of the Wisconsin Historical society magazine Norm sent me. Should he send yours to PP?

Yes, very nicely done, but how could you sell them? I must have missed something. I'll re-read. This must be in the nature of a scientific experiment. I'm most curious to know how hard or easy it was to get the hidden clasps out, and why bother removing them?

I guess you didn't want to drill through and put them on a leather bracelet?

Last edited:
Hi
If I would have left them and put them on leather what do Ido with the 20 or so matching. buy more that match at 500-1000 each, naaaah, I have no problem selling as an estate necklace 21 " long and divulge the "working" any one who knows value is not going to be bothered by the repair. Some retail customers are not bothered by lazer drilling diamonds if divulged same is true of color assisted gem stones.

One day I was having a dental filling and asked the Doc what he used for filling. Teeth and pearl are close relatives. Bingo! My brain went in gear. I might have a solution to redoing the mystery clasps holes and change the 0 value of 6 pearls and sell the necklace they came from. I found out what he used and tried the material on several old large FW. Worked! I took th e15mm pearl to a dental supple firm and they matched the color best as possible. final color is difficult because the material is made for the chemistry of the mouth. some day some one will get a dynamite 15mm neck for 1/2 original wholesale if they can live with the "adjustments" which are not visible at the holes.

Back